Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2007, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Smile newbie: my first DIY computer

hihi all,

great forum! this is my first DIY computer that i'm putting together (previously i had Dells Inspirons and Dimensions... yea, eww, i know...). well it must have been an act of God that my Dell computer was fried last week after the power to my house 'blinked' one night. after that it wouldn't turn on anymore. and about 30mins of dealing with Dell tech support, they advised me that my motherboard needs to be replaced at the very least (maybe other components. instead of reviving an old computer, i thought i should investigate about putting together a mid to high end new computer. so this is how i found this forum :)

so after about a week of research i finally decided with the following setup:

-Asus Maximus Formula motherboard
-Intel Q6600 (i didn't know about G0 until i read about it here... so i hope ncix sends me G0)
-Corsair 8500C5DF 2x1GB DDR2 1066 memory modules
-2 x WD Raptor SATA 150GB hard drives (will setup RAID 0)
-2 x Diamond Radeon HD3870 DDR4 512MB video cards
-Silverstone Strider ST85F 850W power supply unit
-Cooler Master Stacker 832 computer case
-Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cpu heatsink
-Scythe SFF21F 120mm fan (for cpu)
-6 x Antec TriCool 120mm Blue LED fans (for case cooling)
-LG GSA-H62L DVD writer
-APC 1500VA Smart-UPS (this time i will protect my computer!)

today, i bought the hard drives, the computer case, and the APC UPS (holy shit this thing weighs 50lbs - not kidding, i'm glad i didn't buy this online or else it would have cost $100 to ship it)

the rest of the components are coming from ncix.

my credit card company even called me! because suddenly there were big purchases. this is a *good* thing, and i appreciated their checking.

i will post more when i get the rest of the components, and will post benchmarks after setting it up as well.

best regards to all,
-v
Old December 5, 2007, 03:33 PM
Rookie

Impressive

though, personally, the $400 motherboard is a waste and the stacker 832 is not one of my preferred cases.
Instead of using smart airflow, they just brute force as much air as possible...Not always a bad idea, but as quiet as 120mm fans are, that many of them is quite a bit of noise and vibration.
If I was you, I would consider some of the products from Antec, SilverStone and Lian Li as alternatives. They are usually of higher quality, much quieter and have more efficient ways of cooling. They use cleaver airflow paths to get maximum cooling with minimal fans.
Old December 5, 2007, 03:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

Pretty nice rig you got going there, and bout time you "upgraded" from a dell ! Better be pictures! I NEEDS pictures! Though I really dislike blue these days in cases, it's so overdone, like beating a dead hor...never mind . And did you make sure to price check your items from NCIX, as I'm sure you would like to save some money in the end (considering you can easily save like $5 on each. Might not seem like much, when you times that by 6, your suddenly saving $30, which could pay for shipping!

Oh, and welcome to the forum! For some reason my eye noticed this was your first post, it's nice to see more people swarming there way here! But anywho, I hope to see your around the forum more often now that you are here.

Anywho, I'm off to continue playing bioshock in all of it's glory!
Old December 5, 2007, 03:40 PM
Rookie

and despite the recent benchmarks, I still shudder at a new system with an ATi card...
Old December 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The new ATI cards are great! I wouldnt shudder at them. I would be scared running a 8800GT, which gets crazy hot, and are having a lot of problems. If I had a choice right now, I would be getting a pair of 3870's. Looks good. The Coolermaster is a good case, but not an excellent case. I agree, Silverstone or Lian Li make some of the best cases there are. I suggest you look at the Silverstone TJ-09. I absolutely love mine.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old December 5, 2007, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
The new ATI cards are great! I wouldnt shudder at them. I would be scared running a 8800GT, which gets crazy hot, and are having a lot of problems. If I had a choice right now, I would be getting a pair of 3870's. Looks good. The Coolermaster is a good case, but not an excellent case. I agree, Silverstone or Lian Li make some of the best cases there are. I suggest you look at the Silverstone TJ-09. I absolutely love mine.
Also coming from a Dell computer ( Like I still have (8300 lol ) until I get all my parts for new one) this will be a huge improvement.
Old December 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
Rookie

hihi all,

thanks, i can't wait to get my setup completed! i also ordered Crysis, so i will be playing trying that out after installing windows xp.

yea, i've heard great things about Silverstone and Lian-Li. i heard their build-quality was exceptional, and i'm sure they are great cases. there were several reasons why i decided on the CM Stacker 832 over all the other offerings. my top criteria was cooling. the 832 has 4 side intake fans that i'm going to blast the motherboard with. noise is not an issue for me at all, if it's quiet that's a bonus to me. i used to leave my case open and use a real fan to blow into my computer! in all, i will have 13 fans: 1 rear exhaust, 3 front intake, 4 side intake, 1 cpu heatsink fan, 1 psu fan, 3 mini memory module fans (together). if i think it's necessary i can add 2 more 120mm fans to the bottom of the case. the Stacker 832 case seemed perfect for fans of fans (pun intended). i didn't come across any other cases that were as fan-thoughtful in terms of design, straight out of the box, without any modding/cutting.

the other reasons were price and looks. the higher end Silverstone and Lian-Li cases were at least $100 more in cost. and they looked very plain and 'boxy', the Stacker 832 was better looking to me.

also, there is a $60 mail in rebate with this case, which is also what made it a great buy.

@Droc: my motherboard was not $400, it was $270. why do you say it's a "waste"?

as for choosing ATI over Nvidia, it's basically the best bang for the buck. at $240 (or less) for each HD3870 card it's cheaper than the 8800 GT cards. at this price point, it was an easy decision for me. with two of these cards i get top tier performance at cheaper than what it costs for one single Nvidia GTX 8800 ultra card for instance. also, it's a very progressive card: PCI 2.0, UVD, DDR4, and you can hookup 4 of these cards together if you want to. all in all, it's the best value for the money right now. if i wanted absolutely to have the fastest, and money was no issue, then sure, give me 2 8800 GTX ultras.... (but then i would have to change and get an SLI motherboard, etc.)

altogether this computer is roughly $3000 including all the taxes and shipping costs. not cheap by any means since i did get premium parts. it's true i could have probably saved another $100 or thereabouts if i checked around for best prices and price matched, but after a week of researching about what best of each type of component to get, i'm all exhausted, and just want it... now! so getting everything now to me is more important than saving $100 and taking more time to find better prices and availability, and risking ncix being out of stock of some component by the time i get around to ordering and them price matching.

well, that's basically the rationale i went through before i gave in and added items to my shopping cart like a mad man and clicking the checkout button.

if there are no problems, i am hoping to get everything by this weekend (fingers crossed).

-v
Old December 5, 2007, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
Anywho, I'm off to continue playing bioshock in all of it's glory!
:) on my old computer i had to play every game at the lowest everything setting. and even at those settings my framerates would still be pathetic and choppy.

i'm so excited that i can actually buy the latest games now! (i didn't even consider them before)

so how is bioshock? i hear it's great! which games are a must have now? which of these are good:
- bioshock
- call of duty 4
- half life 2: orange box
- unreal tournament 3
- crysis (i ordered this at only $40 with my computer order)

did i miss any? so much to choose from!

-v
Old December 5, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know it's personal preference, but with the heat generated by newer motherboards around the chipset, I'd prefer to have the direct cross flow against the motherboard. I find taht without air blowing right on the chipset, the volt regs and mosfets get pretty warm. Also- one high speed fan is noisier than four low speed fans- with the stacker 832, you can set two or four fans in the rack and barely hear them- whereas my p180 downstairs is pretty noisy because of the fanspeed I needed to suck the heat out of the case to my satisfaction (I think there are pockets of still air in the corners of the case because theose r50s get blazing without a crossbreeze). I'm all about performance though, and I don't think it gets much cooler than a stacker 830 fully stocked with fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
Impressive

though, personally, the $400 motherboard is a waste and the stacker 832 is not one of my preferred cases.
Instead of using smart airflow, they just brute force as much air as possible...Not always a bad idea, but as quiet as 120mm fans are, that many of them is quite a bit of noise and vibration.
If I was you, I would consider some of the products from Antec, SilverStone and Lian Li as alternatives. They are usually of higher quality, much quieter and have more efficient ways of cooling. They use cleaver airflow paths to get maximum cooling with minimal fans.
Old December 5, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
so how is bioshock? i hear it's great! which games are a must have now? which of these are good:
- bioshock
- call of duty 4
- half life 2: orange box
- unreal tournament 3
- crysis (i ordered this at only $40 with my computer order)
They are all great, and worth playing. I own all of them hehe, and love them all. The ones I am playing the most are Orange box, and Crysis.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.