Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I hear that team fortress and portal are great games in the orange box- even more interesting than HL2?- anyway- I ordered it with the 4GB GSkill kit, so should get it soon.
Old December 5, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default they great games

yea i like playingt hose too. One of my favorites is COH. Got it for 30dollars and was amazed at the pace and intensity of the game...excellent RTS.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old December 5, 2007, 07:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
I know it's personal preference, but with the heat generated by newer motherboards around the chipset, I'd prefer to have the direct cross flow against the motherboard. I find taht without air blowing right on the chipset, the volt regs and mosfets get pretty warm. Also- one high speed fan is noisier than four low speed fans- with the stacker 832, you can set two or four fans in the rack and barely hear them- whereas my p180 downstairs is pretty noisy because of the fanspeed I needed to suck the heat out of the case to my satisfaction (I think there are pockets of still air in the corners of the case because theose r50s get blazing without a crossbreeze). I'm all about performance though, and I don't think it gets much cooler than a stacker 830 fully stocked with fans.
yea, that's the same conclusion i came to. the Stacker 830/832 are good cases if you want to just load up fans and blast away. this may not result in the most efficient or effective air flow within the case, but it's still better than no flow at all... when i get my computer setup i will do some testing about this and post the findings.

in the end, i'm the same, i just want things to be cool so they can perform well (will try to overclock.. but this is completely new territory for me). and i really didn't want to go to the water cooling route because if i'm going to do that then i want the best which is not even water cooling but multi phase change cooling (yes, i did a lot of research, lol) and if i do that then i wouldn't even have a case at all, my motherboard and components would just be sitting on my desk, connected and functioning, but naked in the open and resemble a computer spare parts garage. so instead of doing this, i settled on a reasonable air cooling solution that still leaves my computer looking 'civilized'.

-v

forgot to mention: Coolermaster has a "Crossflow" fan for the Stacker cases that does what you want, it blows air across the motherboard. but it's warned that this fan will not fit in the case due to the length of the latest video cards... hopefully the next versions of the case will solve this

Last edited by Victor5; December 5, 2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: forgot
Old December 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor5 View Post
so how is bioshock? i hear it's great! which games are a must have now? which of these are good:
- bioshock
- call of duty 4
- half life 2: orange box
- unreal tournament 3
- crysis (i ordered this at only $40 with my computer order)
Haha, well, if you ever played System Shock 2 (which more people should play) you know what you expect from gameplay. And I'm able to run it on my rig on highest settings with roughly 30fps, so easily playable. I personally enjoy it greatly, just has a great mood.

Orange Box is amazing, I had it preordered, and was beta! Portal is some of the most entertaining gameplay I have had all this year. I burst out laughing so hard! The cake is not a lie! Next would be Team Fortress 2, once again, amazing. Though if you have a team that doesn't know how to work together...your screwed. And Episode 2, well, if you enjoyed the other ones, it's a good addition, just not as good as the previous ones.

UR3 I was bored with quickly. Was in the beta and just couldn't get into it. So...meh.

Call of Duty 4 is amazing. Right now it's being argued between CoD4 and Crysis for game of the year, so you know to expect good things. Can't say much more, because I'm waiting for it to come in.

And Crysis, oh my beautiful crysis! I'm sorry, but that gun...the gun! I don't want to say more because people complain it's a spoiler...Think of it this way, if you ever played Far Cry, think the same idea, your a person on an island, random plot twists, shoot everything that moves. It's a good time.

No...I don't know what your talking about, gaming isn't my life...

Time to start playing Sam And Max episode 2 (if you never played the original, shame on you. If you haven't played the new one just because of the Sam and Max name, double shame on you). Always good for a laugh
Old December 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
Rookie

damn, i can't wait to play these games.... but i haven't played these intense FPS games in a long time... i know i will get dizzy if i start playing them, i don't know why, but i get sick if i'm just starting to play them... after a while it goes away once i'm used to playing them regularly though

for now i just have to wait.... move faster time!!!!!! faster!!!! :)
Old December 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor5 View Post
damn, i can't wait to play these games.... but i haven't played these intense FPS games in a long time... i know i will get dizzy if i start playing them, i don't know why, but i get sick if i'm just starting to play them... after a while it goes away once i'm used to playing them regularly though

for now i just have to wait.... move faster time!!!!!! faster!!!! :)
It's actually a common problem among gamers. It's basically the same idea of motion sickness! Apparently any remedy that works with motion sickness will also work with gaming...err...sickness! So find yourself some remedy and get gaming my friend!
Old December 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
It's actually a common problem among gamers. It's basically the same idea of motion sickness! Apparently any remedy that works with motion sickness will also work with gaming...err...sickness! So find yourself some remedy and get gaming my friend!
okay, for me, just eating a couple of Rolaids makes me feel better, so i'll remember to give this a try! i remember once i got so sick i almost vomitted and it felt like i had a high fever... (we were playing half life 1 back at then)

-v
Old December 6, 2007, 07:49 PM
Rookie

Default G0 !!

ncix is awesome! i just noticed on my order of the Q6600 cpu they automatically put "SLACR" which is the code for G0 stepping.

and i was worried about this, because i didn't tell them anything

+1 for ncix! :)

still waiting for them to ship me my order...
Old December 7, 2007, 01:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

Haha, yeah, they are a great company, but sometimes you are left waiting in the dark for it to ship so to speak!
Old December 7, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hahaha, so true. I had never experienced Gaming Sickness until I started playing HL2 and FEAR on my 32" 1080p screen. After a few hours I was feeling really dizzy and sick, and needed to take a breather! There are some games that don't effect me though, like Crysis. Crysis gets me so into the game it actually feels real!!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.