Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Couldn't you get the cheaper AC S1 Rev 2 and add your own fans to it? It's way cheaper than the Twin Turbo?

-Plato
Old September 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Couldn't you get the cheaper AC S1 Rev 2 and add your own fans to it? It's way cheaper than the Twin Turbo?
On the corp purchase, I'm actually only paying $36 for the twin turbo. So really, the difference is incredibly minimal, and I get a pre-made, unified product. Plus, the aesthetics of the twin turbo are MUCH better than the alternative.

But had I not been getting a discount, I would have seriously looked in to going that route.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well I've mostly got everything together. The last thing I'm waiting on is the Noctua mounting kit. Once that's installed, I'll mess around a bit more with cable management and close it up for good. And at that point, both the CPU and GPU should be burned in enough to work on some overclocking, and I'll get some numbers up. As I mentioned, I swapped to a 5870 after the 480 I wanted was on back order for weeks. I'll be putting in another 5870 in a month or two. But for now it'll be fine.

Here's how it looks right now:

Old September 4, 2010, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How can you stand that desk being so cluttered?
Old September 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
*UPDATE* - I've canned the order on the Zotac 480 AMP! as it's going to take weeks to come in. Instead, I've ordered a 5870 and an AC Twin Turbo Pro cooler. I then used the money I saved from switching to ATi to also order a Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Champion Ed. The parts will hopefully be here by Friday, and I can finish off the build on the weekend. Then I'll just wait a couple months and pick up a second 5870 and I'll be set.
How on earth did you get a reference 5870?
Old September 4, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
How on earth did you get a reference 5870?
Actually, it's not ref. unfortunately; it's the current gen of XFX PCB. You can tell by the power connectors being on the back of the card, rather than the side. (Which, btw, I think is a stupid move.) But with any of the stock cards available now, it's basically a crap shoot. So I just went with the best warranty.

I had originally thought about getting the Vapor-X card, but after reading a lot more about them, I opted to stay away. I've read that they have a higher than normal return rate for coil whine. And that, while the Vapor-X cooler is quieter and cooler than stock, it can still reach ugly volume under load.
Old September 4, 2010, 03:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Actually, it's not ref. unfortunately; it's the current gen of XFX PCB. You can tell by the power connectors being on the back of the card, rather than the side. (Which, btw, I think is a stupid move.) But with any of the stock cards available now, it's basically a crap shoot. So I just went with the best warranty.

I had originally thought about getting the Vapor-X card, but after reading a lot more about them, I opted to stay away. I've read that they have a higher than normal return rate for coil whine. And that, while the Vapor-X cooler is quieter and cooler than stock, it can still reach ugly volume under load.
The Asus 5870 V2 doesn't seem bad. Also, there's the MSI 5870 Lightning II.
Old September 9, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well I received my mounting bracket, and the hardware portion of the build is complete. At least, until I get another 5870, or two 6xxx cards. I'll have an update with stable OC and benchmarks sometime soon.

Here's the build as it sits...

And in it's actual working environment...

Old September 9, 2010, 04:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice! So how's the airflow in the 90 degree rotation case?
Old September 9, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
Nice! So how's the airflow in the 90 degree rotation case?
Amazing to say the least! It's a high air flow environment with great cooling... and the entire machine as it sits is so quiet at idle, you can hardly tell it's running. I would really recommend it to anyone. Although, it's not without it's faults. I'll be posting a quick video clip in the near future with my take on this beast; as well as the AMD/ATi/890 platform on a whole.