Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I've started assembly and I've already had some ups and downs. First thing to note is that this case is an absolute BEAST! It's one of those things you just sort of have to see to understand I think. Pictures only give a part of the idea. Build quality on a whole is very good as well. It's really put together like a tank. There's a few things that perturb me though. First was that the top grill actually scratches the main body when you take it off and put it on. (See picture) and the other big issue so far is the 'tool-less' 5.25" bays. The clips are absolute garbage. I would certainly not put a drive in there. But we'll see how it goes. I think when I'm done I'll post a video on the overall build experience.

I tried to put an easily referenced item in the picture for size. But it's just impossible to convey the sheer size of this case.

Here's the scratching from the top. Sure it's in an area that won't be seen with the cover on. But still not what you want to see from a $220+ case.

Here's the accessories that came with the MB... I can't say I'm impressed. A crumpled up instruction booklet, backplate, case tags and some hideously coloured sata cables. (I have black ones from monoprice to replace them.) I was also incredibly disapointed to see that the front panel plug-in brick isn't here; especially since I saw it in Linus's unboxing of this MB.

The board itself

Installed

I could not ask for better backplate placing in the case. Installing coolers will be a snap!

PSU... This came with a HUGE volume of cables. And the florescent green highlights of this PSU in the Fortress are a complete non-issue. The fan faces the filtered intake on the back, that you can't see through. And the plugs are facing down, and also can't be seen. This makes the PSU look WAY more slick.

And installed to test the fans and volume. The case and PSU fans combined are so quiet that I had to put my hands over the intake fans to make sure they were even running! That's exactly what I was hoping for in this build.
*Edit* The onboard power switch is an awesome feature! This is the first MB I've had with it, and I don't think I'll ever go back.

More to come!

Last edited by Caldezar; August 23, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old August 23, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That CPU looked nicer in my bag....
Old August 23, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
That CPU looked nicer in my bag....
Haha you're hardly the most subtle of thieves, I have to tell you...
Old August 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*INTIMIDATING LOOK*
Old August 23, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
*INTIMIDATING LOOK*
He looks just like you...

Is it possible to hijack your own thread? I think I may have...

Last edited by Caldezar; August 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it's getting close. Just need to get the optical drive wired up, drop in the RAM, CPU (which is awaiting the appropriate bracket) and wait for my GPU to come in from back order.

And the back isn't pretty, but it works. Once it's all sealed up, nobody will ever know the difference...

Last edited by Caldezar; August 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Goddamn, looks soo good in there. I am extremely jealous of that case. :D
Old August 29, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I've been running in to a snag the past little bit concerning RAID. It seems the JMicron RAID controller on this MB is... well... nothing that I can say that would make it through work's firewall. So I've dumped the thought of on-board RAID. And now I'm left with the following options:
a) run it as-is and don't worry about HDD performance (it is a gaming rig primarily)
b) buy a RAID controller
c) wait for an acceptable price on a decent SSD

Not sure which way to jump at the moment... but I'll benchmark it a bit after I get the Noctua bracket and OC the CPU, and after my GPU comes in stock. We'll see how it goes.
Old August 31, 2010, 05:29 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

that look's very cool, I hope some day I can build a kickass computer, btw Caldezar If you are ever selling some hard drive's please let me know Im local and this time have a rideI know.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*UPDATE* - I've canned the order on the Zotac 480 AMP! as it's going to take weeks to come in. Instead, I've ordered a 5870 and an AC Twin Turbo Pro cooler. I then used the money I saved from switching to ATi to also order a Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Champion Ed. The parts will hopefully be here by Friday, and I can finish off the build on the weekend. Then I'll just wait a couple months and pick up a second 5870 and I'll be set.