Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Rookie

Default 360 Mod

This was a pain in the neck to mod. Finally got there though. I'm quiet pleased with how it turned out overall.

The paint I went with a 2 tone job. A metallic blue and a one I found very interesting which was Pearl Touch, its a flip paint so color varies depending on light.

I cut out a nice case window and lit up the interior with a total of 9 blue led's. I added additional cooling by the heatsink. The effect I was looking for with the fan was to make it look like it was hovering inside the case, so I've removed a lot of the fan surrounding. The last mod to the interior of the case was to make the disc drive clear so you could see the disc spinning while in play. I like the way the led's illuminate the plexi over the disc.

The hard drive saw no mercy either and recieved a matching paint job and 2 leds in the opening.

On the front panel I've filled in the slots for the memory cards as I didn't even know what the slots were for until I looked into it some more lol. It came out very well. I've swapped out the colors on the xboxs ring to blue to match the body of the case.

Hope you like it.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice. Should paint the power button and USB port cover as well though. White stands out quite a bit...

Hopefully it doesn't RROD now though. Did you bother to bolt-mod the heatsinks?
Old August 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol ya hopefully taking the fan shroud off doesnt make it overheat for some reason ahah. Ya I probably would've done the bolt mod while I was in there. I agree that you should probably also paint the usb cover slot and power button. Where exactly do you wire the LED's into for power? I'd also like to know where you'd be able to wire a fan to for power, if anyone knows? Not the best with electrical work... I've always wanted to bling out my xbox but I don't play it AT ALL anymore so really kind of pointless. Nice work though.

Oh ya one more question, how'd you do the DVD drive? Just took off the top half of the shell, and how did you mount that plexi to the top of it? Any pictures of the work in progress?
Old August 13, 2010, 10:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd love to know where or how you cut the window open on that 360
Old August 13, 2010, 11:56 PM
Rookie

Nice job. How do you power the cathodes?
Old August 14, 2010, 08:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

He probably has a 2/3 pin fan y splitter and is powering all the LEDs off of it
Old August 14, 2010, 12:18 PM
MVP

Very nice. What hardware did you use exactly?

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old August 15, 2010, 03:23 PM
Rookie

The usb cover and power button are infact painted with the pearl touch (flip paint) (I know it didn't come the greatest )

For powering the fan and leds I soldered wires to a 12v source on the underside of the power connector

Until I read it 20 seconds ago, I had no clue what a bolt mod was lol So I haven't ventured down that route. If I notice cooling problems I will take her apart again and correct the problem, either by plasic forming a clear fan shroud, doing the bolt mod or both.

For cutting the window I did a big no no I used a jigsaw (usually my weapon of choice) which cuts way too fast and melted the plastic, I should have used a dremel at a lower speed

The disc drive mod wasn't the hardest thing in the world to do but it was definately time consuming. Underneath the small blue disc on the drive is a spindle, a crucial part or your games won't play. This spins with the disc and holds it in place (magneticly), so this needs to be a specific height above the disc otherwise your games will fly around the inside of your xbox, they will get stuck when you press eject or they will be scratched to bits (so test with a blank cd-r or something similar). Means that exact measurements are needed. So I cut the rectangular plexi piece making sure it was large enough to accomodate the the spindle and larger than the drive itself (see why in a minute), I cut the hole for the spindle then lined it up with its contact, I marked where the plexi needed to be cut then it was cut down to size. To keep the spindle above the disc at a set height I cut 2 very small strips that would act as feet, I filed them down to size and they were hotglued on.

I've been playing games quiet a bit since I've completed this mod, so far I've not had any probs with over heating or scratched discs, I'm pretty chuffed with results.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:17 PM
Rookie

should have used a dremel kit but it looks wlid man awsome work

Tags
360 mod