Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2010, 11:31 AM

My System Specs

Default Brendon's watercooled Silverstone LC17B HTPC

So while I am waiting for parts for the other case, I found an old Silverstone LC17B that I use to use as an HTPC. I thought, why not watercool this one as well? Now I did watercool it back in the day, but with just a 2x80mm radiator and it was pretty much disastrous. This time around it will have at least a 2x120mm radiator. And getting it to fit is going to require relocation of the PSU. Now for some pics.

The case as I found it in my closet. This remind me what I powdercoat over paint.

All taped up and ready to be jigsawed.

Window hole cut. The 21 TPI blade I used cut through this steel like butter. Still need to do a bit of filing to clean it up a bit.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

cool lowfat your builds are always very nice looking forward too this one. it's always fun to mess around with old cases you never know what you'll come up with
Old July 19, 2010, 12:09 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
cool lowfat your builds are always very nice looking forward too this one. it's always fun to mess around with old cases you never know what you'll come up with
Why thank you kind sir. This build shouldn't be as boring as some as it actually requires more cutting then the others.

Well the acrylic has been cut. Still need to clean up the edges on the cut case lid though.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

cool, just a question choice of mounting for the window??? . I like the bolt through look myself but there's also the 3m tape which is just great stuff.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:57 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
cool, just a question choice of mounting for the window??? . I like the bolt through look myself but there's also the 3m tape which is just great stuff.
Pretty sure I am going to rivet it in place. Not a fan of tape much.
Old July 19, 2010, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

As someone currently mucking around with an LC20B, I can vouch that these cases are among the most UN-watercooling-friendly cases out there. Looking forward to seeing this build.
Old July 19, 2010, 06:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
As someone currently mucking around with an LC20B, I can vouch that these cases are among the most UN-watercooling-friendly cases out there. Looking forward to seeing this build.
+1...I have a LC17B case as well and can't wait to see how you make this one look. Your builds are always inspirational.
Old July 19, 2010, 06:54 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3t3rson View Post
+1...I have a LC17B case as well and can't wait to see how you make this one look. Your builds are always inspirational.
Just waiting for the motherboard to arrive tomorrow then I'll know for sure how things are going to go. But the plan is to mount the power supply where the 2 80mm fans are at the back. The power supply itself will fit fine. I just hope that the waterblock will fit (w/ 90 angled fittings of course). With the power supply out of the way I can easily fit a 2x120mm radiator on the side of the case.
Old August 3, 2010, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Any updates/pics? I have the same case and dying to see what yours is going to look like finished
Old August 3, 2010, 01:45 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3t3rson View Post
Any updates/pics? I have the same case and dying to see what yours is going to look like finished
I've been trying to get my Lian Li PC-V352 finished first since I don't actually have hardware for this case and likely won't for a while. I do plan on getting them both powdercoated at the same time though which shouldn't be more than a few weeks away.