Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2010, 02:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default HTPC(XBMC)/Server Rig

Well some of you may have known my attempts in the past with zotac ionitx board (they is currently for sale now) in a few of my builds. The Sega Genesis Mod Sega Genesis Mod , and then the small Lego Case Lego HTPC Case V.1. Doing some long and hard searching i came to the conclusion that it, and the new generation of atom cpu/mobo combo do not have enough sata connectors on them, nor do they have some other key features i wanted. So i decided to go out and buy some parts and put together an htpc which will run XBMC and a Server (on Windows 7) all in one low power system/case.

This has yield my current project.

Parts List
AMD Phenom X3 8250E Triple Core Energy Efficient Processor 1.9GHZ 1.5MB L2 2MB L3 65W AM2+
ASUS M4A785-M mATX AM3/AM2+ 785G DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E 2XPCI SATA RAID Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard
OCZ Gold 2Gb (2x1Gb) DDR2 PC-6400 RAM
Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400CX 400W ATX 12V 30A Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan
Silverstone Grandia GD05B Black HTPC mATX Desktop Case 1X5.25 2X3.5INT 1X2.5INT 3X120MM Fan No PS
Startech 5.25IN Drive Bay Hard Drive Cooler with 3 Fans Black
Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System AUTO-REGULATED & Maitenenace Free LGA 1366/1156/775/AM3/AM2+
80GB 2.5" Sata Hard Drive
2x1.5TB 3.5" Seagate Hard Drives

Old July 17, 2010, 02:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Current progress that has been made so far. I spent an entire evening and half of the next one trying to figure out where to put everything and how to. One of the large problems was the radiator on the eco was rather large and wouldnt fit in one of the two 120mm openings on the side with a fan on it due to the fact the mobo is positioned rather close to it. I had to go to the Source twice to find the correct screw driver to remove the fan from the rad and then what orientation and which 120mm opening i wanted to mount it. After i got that figured out everything else was easy. Installing the 3 hard drives, the power supply, the motherboard and the 5.25" bay fans.

From this i have booted it up to make sure it works and seen temps are pretty good for idle with ambient 27C. I then proceeded to back up the old 2.5" hdd i was using (30gb) onto my storage hard drives, swap them out, and then install windows 7 onto the new (80gb) 2.5" hard drive.

Last edited by Arinoth; July 17, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old July 17, 2010, 03:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Old July 18, 2010, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

heh. Looks a bit tight. Especially that USB connector thats leaning ;) Good idea on the WC unit. Just to keep noise down? That 3x EE cant produce much heat. Arnt they rated for 45w?
Old July 18, 2010, 02:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Its actually rated for 65W. I fixed the usb connector after taking the pictures and the WC was because it was a donation as the oem cpu did not come with a hsf
Old July 18, 2010, 05:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

hmm interesting. i went with air cooling in mine My HTPC Build Pics super quiet and cool, its a great case
Old July 18, 2010, 06:11 PM

My System Specs

Shame there isn't more room between the main board and the 120mm fans. It could be a nice case to watercool otherwise.
Old July 18, 2010, 06:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Indeed, i dont mind the fan on the outside of the case as the case itself is going to be hidden away with my receiver for the most part (aka mainly the front will be seen if at all to the naked eyes). I removed all the fan filters it came with and sorry SS, removing them greatly improves air flow (i've seen filters that dont hinder air flow as bad as these).

Currently not able to connect to my g/f's wireless because its one of those retarded bell routers and it seems backtrack 4 doesn't have drivers for my wireless g pci card yet windows 7 does. I may try backtrack 3 to see if i can get onto the network if not i'll have to find a long enough wired cable for the time being.
Old July 18, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Put anouther fan on the out side and say "I ment to do that"

Find some black mettel or paint some and edge band the fan shoudes.
Old July 18, 2010, 07:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah i plan to make better fan filters that will allow air to flow a lot better over them. Forgot to mention i removed the original TIM from the eco and put on some IC7 instead. Now if only i had patience when it comes to cable management...