Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old June 18, 2010, 09:29 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,589
Default I5 Client Build - Again

Intel Core i5 Client Build - Redefined


This build is for another co-worker and his budget is set to $1500 (for a computer, monitor and my pay). After the monitor, and my measly cut, the actual computer has a fair budget of $1200, seems like a possible Intel Core i5 750. The parts are not 100% set in stone yet, but he wants this ASAP, so the order is going out tomorrow (June 19th). The reason behind the name is because the case for this build is a Fractal Design Define R2 Black.

The computer needs to look simple and be quite, hence the case. I will be adding the additional top fans (2), front fan (1), and bottom fan (1) all Fractal 1000RPM fans.

Intel Core i5 750 w/ Corsair H50
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz
XFX 5850
SilverStone Strider 750W Plus
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Fractal Design Define R2 Black w/ 4 additional fans

Last edited by AmuseMe; June 20, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old June 19, 2010, 01:13 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

rework it out so you can squeeze in a 5850 if its a gaming unit.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old June 19, 2010, 09:50 AM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
rework it out so you can squeeze in a 5850 if its a gaming unit.
Trying too, but I can not find a 5850 with the cooler that pushes air out the case. WAIT! I can get one and put a ThermalRight cooler on it!

Although, the 5770's work pretty nice. He is only gaming at 1680x1050, or 1080P at most.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old June 19, 2010, 11:44 AM
Digikid's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,729
Default

Hmm...an older model XFX would have that blower type cooler I think....
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old June 19, 2010, 01:46 PM
headsh0t's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,568

My System Specs

Default

Well I can see a few places where you can save money, like instead of the Noctua get a 212+ for < $30 and save $50 right there. You don't need the Noctua for the 750, unless you wan't really cool temps at 4ghz. Just OC to 3.8 (if you even are OC'ing this build) and temps will be fine. Secondly, you could swap out that corsair ram for these Ripjaws G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit - DirectCanada and save another $40.

You could also save a bit on the PSU, and you wouldn't really even need the 750w with what you have listed but not sure if he'll be upgrading or whatever later. You could find the Antec TP New 750w for $100. Even if you didn't change the PSU though and just the other 2 suggestions i made you could afford to get him a 5850 which would be much better for gaming. Not sure if that's what the rig is for though lol Just my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old June 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 203
Default

You can definately get away with the non-blower style 5850, they are technically better at dissipating heat as they have copper heatpipes, but you can easily find one on newegg. There are many different brands such as sapphire, or HIS which make the blower style type. Actaually, I think the 5850 also has heatpipes its the 5770 blower style that doesnt.

They are different branded cards with different stickers slapped onto the shroud... choose the cheapest one or the one with the best warrenty!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old June 20, 2010, 12:22 AM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Well I can see a few places where you can save money, like instead of the Noctua get a 212+ for < $30 and save $50 right there. You don't need the Noctua for the 750, unless you wan't really cool temps at 4ghz. Just OC to 3.8 (if you even are OC'ing this build) and temps will be fine. Secondly, you could swap out that corsair ram for these Ripjaws G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit - DirectCanada and save another $40.

You could also save a bit on the PSU, and you wouldn't really even need the 750w with what you have listed but not sure if he'll be upgrading or whatever later. You could find the Antec TP New 750w for $100. Even if you didn't change the PSU though and just the other 2 suggestions i made you could afford to get him a 5850 which would be much better for gaming. Not sure if that's what the rig is for though lol Just my opinion
There is no 212+ in stock right now... Might just remove the cooler altogether and see if I can get a 212+ from someone here.

Corsairs came to $115

The biggest concern for this is WoW and Diablo III when it comes out.

Going from the $179 5770 to the $329 5850 pushed the budget. (The only 5850 in stock is that one)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old June 20, 2010, 07:06 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,589
Default

Dropped the Noctua for an open box 212+ and switched the HDD for a Baracudda 7200.12. Also swapped the RAM for the $99 Ripjaws, and got the 5850 - total: $1200.00
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2010, 05:14 AM
Rison's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Truro, NS
Posts: 936

My System Specs

Default

looks like a solid build. the 7200.12 isn't a bad choice - I don't know why you switched.. both are usually equally priced when price-matched.

As for 212+ vs H50, on my i7 860 @ 4Ghz, temps dropped by putting in the H50 a good 6c per core in an open-air case. 212+ had dual CM fans on it. As Headshot said, if you keep it around 3.8, you should be more than fine.
__________________

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2010, 08:13 AM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
looks like a solid build. the 7200.12 isn't a bad choice - I don't know why you switched.. both are usually equally priced when price-matched.

As for 212+ vs H50, on my i7 860 @ 4Ghz, temps dropped by putting in the H50 a good 6c per core in an open-air case. 212+ had dual CM fans on it. As Headshot said, if you keep it around 3.8, you should be more than fine.
I did some research on the 7200.12 and I guess they are hit-and-miss drives. I had one of those 7200.11 ones, and I don't even need to tell you what happened
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Client Build AmuseMe Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery 34 May 11, 2010 12:20 AM
What F@H client are you using? Silvgearx HardwareCanucks F@H Team 8 February 7, 2009 09:51 AM
[FS] Selling for a client kruzn4evr Buy/Sell & Trade 41 December 7, 2008 03:03 PM
Using the Gpu Client Dashock HardwareCanucks F@H Team 8 July 25, 2008 09:35 PM
Client problem Scratch HardwareCanucks F@H Team 3 August 11, 2007 01:56 PM