Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Man this is one hell of a build. wish i had that kind of money to blow away.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Very nice B......that is going to be one sexy build......hopefully the next round of Drivers will provide some better scaling for the Multi 480's..still holding me back from purchasing a 3rd. Saw the ST 1.5 kW on sale for $355 at DC....
Holding off on my WC transition as I just purchased a new Surround System for my Family Room and now have to "book" flights / Accom for our winter Mexico trip....we'll see how $$ is in Sept....

Without the 980x I'm sure your feeling it will be "crippled"...hahahahhaha.....I smell an I7 970....?.......Vantage P50K no worries!!!

Is that the same Rad Mount I linked to you?...if so you'll have to let me know how it worked out....as thats likely what I'd do with my TJ09...mount the Rad on the back for the 480's.....very nice!!!
Thanks rj, I did do a test run with 3x 480's running stock in 3D Vantage with the 257.21 beta drivers and scored 43,394 so I imagine with some OC'ing, adding the 4th card and bumping up the CPU OC it should hit 50k. I'd love to drop a 980x in it but no funds left

Chris: I've used that program too, it does work well, only reason I won't be offering data recovery as a service is because of insurance, it simply cost too much in the premium to be worth it, if I screwed up someones HDD and got sued I'd be toast so I'm just not going to do it.

Rison: yer right the first time, lazy!..lol..I did cut them before I finished installing though I didn't have any problems with the standoffs, using a dab of thermal paste to hold them in place works like a charm! However, the one thing I found strange was that the PCB doesn't have a screw hole where EK says to put a screw in just below the fan cut out hole, the standoff sits right on one of the chips! Even in the EK install manual the PCB pic doesn't show a hole but EK shows a screw to be placed there, weird

Ok, so I didn't get any work done yesterday because my wife was home sick and I had to do alot of running around so this morning I sat down to get the other 3 cards finished. I got the first 2 done and went to start on the third, I had everything ready to go and opened up the EK box only to find the big green washer for the GPU reinforcement plate was NOT included!! So now I'm PISSED! I was really hoping to have most of the rig together today but now I'm at a standstill until I can get a 25cent washer!! I'm going to call NCIX and see if they can do anything for me, I've already sent a message to EK but who knows how long it'll take for a reply.

If anyone out there has an EK-FC GTX480 block that they won't be installing for a couple of weeks please let me know, maybe you could send me the green washer and I would send back the one I get from EK when it arrives.

Anyhow, it still looks pretty sweet with the 3 480's I guess I'll play around with fitting the plumbing and rads this aft and see how that goes, its looking like I'll have to settle for a dual rad up top for the CPU and NB/SB, the Feser 360 is just to big to use the way I wanted. I'll try a few things before making the final decision.
Attached Images

Old June 23, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
Anyhow, it still looks pretty sweet with the 3 480's
Just imagine how good it will look with a fourth!!!
Old June 23, 2010, 10:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Rison: yer right the first time, lazy!..lol..I did cut them before I finished installing though I didn't have any problems with the standoffs, using a dab of thermal paste to hold them in place works like a charm! However, the one thing I found strange was that the PCB doesn't have a screw hole where EK says to put a screw in just below the fan cut out hole, the standoff sits right on one of the chips! Even in the EK install manual the PCB pic doesn't show a hole but EK shows a screw to be placed there, weird
Yeah man, that was weird. I was thinking there was a non-reference design messup.. but there's only one design for the 480!
I put the all washers down like the instructions had, and lowered the card.. it was high in the back - the damn washer was pushing on a RAM chip, lol...
I did the dab of thermal paste thing too.. but when I was lowering the card down the standoffs moved before totally resting it down. I decided to lower the card onto the block, with the GPU support on the block instead of the other way.. anywho, good times.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 23, 2010, 03:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So with that pump/res setup... You will be using 5 of your 5.25 bays?

2 for pump/top 2 for res and 1 between the pump and res to run the tubing?
Old June 23, 2010, 04:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

1500W Power supply... FAWK MAN!
That
thing
is
MASSIVE!!! Physically and Electronically

Do we plan to run the monitor(s) / TV(s) and surround sound off a seperate electrical cuircit, re-wire and run at 220v (which would surely save a few bucks if you or a buddy can do this - to balance the load) or just try not to max out the circuit and pop the breaker?!?
Old June 23, 2010, 04:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm a total noob at water cooling.

How will the coolant run from one card to the next (or how will the whole system be plumbed) in THIS system? Like the order of parts coolant passes through, and why

Dang she looks like a Beast among Smerfs!
Old June 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
So with that pump/res setup... You will be using 5 of your 5.25 bays?

2 for pump/top 2 for res and 1 between the pump and res to run the tubing?
The pumps and 2 res's will take up 5 bays and the Bluray writer will take up the top one, see pics

mattydies: After talking to an electrician he assured me that as long as I run it without the other goodies on a 15 amp breaker it'll be fiine, stressed under full load but shouldn't trip the breaker, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes, I'll run everything else off a separate breaker for now.

For the cards, they will run in "parallel" as opposed to "serial" through one loop using the quad rad while the CPU and mobo will run off the second loop using a dual (maybe 2 dual stacked if they fit, haven't tried that yet).

More pics (All the tubing will be black, these pics are just test fitting and measuring before final set up). I doubt I'll be able to keep the HAF vid card housing in when I add the 4th card but it would be nice, I like the look.

The last 2 pics are for rj and miggs, the Koolance Quick Disconnect mounting bracket will hold the quad rad, the only drawback to using it is the case exhaust fan has to go, but there should be enough air movement that it shouldn't be missed too much. The other drawback is space, using this mount when expanded with a triple or quad rad with push/pull fans adds a good 6-8" hanging off the back so the overall depth may be more than some people want or have room for. I'll be using quick disconnects on the in and out of the rad for easy removal and draining. I have to touch up that little scratch near the top right, that was the only damage on it when I opened it, certainly not worth RMA'ing or complaining about
Attached Images

Old June 23, 2010, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Man if i had the money and well time i'd hire you to advise me on an amazing build such as the one you are building right now. I say advise as i'd love to learn how to do it all myself but would rather learn from a master than trial and error.

I may have missed it but how many loops do you have going and would love to see the temps when those 4 GTX480s are running
Old June 23, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh my!....ummm....thanks for the kind words Arinoth, but I'm far from a "master"...lol...there are LOTS of other members that know alot more than I do, to me, alot of it is simply trying to plan it out as best you can and then it really is trial and error until you get it the way you like it

There are 2 loops, one for the 480's and one for the CPU & mobo, I will be posting temps and some benches once its up and running....provided the breaker holds out