Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2010, 04:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

All righty then, let's get down to business!

I'm still waiting on a few parts, but I'm itching to get started. Might as well go for the gusto

I'll be posting progress shots as I go throughout the evening.

Stage 1: Cleaning up the used parts. As a side-note, I fell madly in love with the ATCS the moment I pulled out the motherboard tray.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old June 7, 2010, 07:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Second and final bump of the night. Since I'm still waiting on the I/O backplate, I didn't want to commit to plugging everything into the motherboard only to have to rip it all out again, so I think I'm done for the night.

I want to say this once at the beginning, just to get it off my chest:
I WANT THIS CASE TO BEAR MY CHILDREN.

Honestly, the 800D is a mighty fine piece of hardware in its own right, and it's a force to be reckoned with when it comes to water cooling, but if you're looking for a stylish, clean, easy case to build in, look no further. This case is an absolute steal for $200.

Anyway, on with the build log.

Stage 2: Installing the memory. Plugging DIMMs into two sets of slots was a little bizarre, but handling this much memory gave me a bit of a buzz
It's great being a geek

Stage 3: Install the heatsinks. The thing is, these new-fangled LGA1366 Xeon boards have permanent backplates installed which are incompatible with most heatsinks on the market. Noctua is one of the few heatsink manufacturers I know of that offers an Xeon mounting bracket for their product, which is much appreciated.

These are the NH-U12DX. Not much to look at packaging-wise, but it is a server part after all, so I'll cut em some slack.

The brackets came preinstalled on the heatsinks and were almost trivial to install. A little MX-2 and on they go. I need to be a little creative about their orientation in order to leave the first PCIe slot available...

And on go the poo fans. I have to make it so that the fan on CPU2's heatsink is pulling air through the fins, otherwise it totally invades the graphics card's personal space. I was all worried about clearance over Mushkin's heatspreaders, but it seems that was something Noctua accounted for. Great to see

Stage 4: Time for the graphics card. XFX's 4850 is pretty stylish, I must say. It looks much better in person than it did in the NCIX thumbnail, and for that I'm glad. One thing that kind of surprised me was that it's a single slot card, even though the cooler hangs over the next slot. I guess they don't need to screw into two slots without one of those massive coolers. As a side-note, this is the first ATi card I've bought since my 9800 Pro, how long ago now?

Step 5: Slide the motherboard tray back in, you're done for the night! I didn't really want to go much farther tonight, so I just packed it in. I cannot express how awesome it feels to finally work with a well-done removable motherboard tray system. Major kudos to Cooler Master, even if I am a bit late to the ATCS party

The rest of these are just stupid artsy pics of the chassis and its interior. Enjoy!

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old June 7, 2010, 08:55 PM
shaw

If you ever feel the urge to put the board under water, here how it would look like...

Old June 7, 2010, 10:54 PM
Top Prospect

Coming along nicely steers. I personally got tired of the poo fans. All five of mine went to the BST section.
It's nuts that the poo colour can be seen thur the top mesh of the ATCS. hehe
Maybe you can get some black fans?
Old June 8, 2010, 04:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would probably mount both of the heatsink fans vertical if you can - have the air exit out the top easier.. rather than blowing one on the other.

I found the two stock fans in the CM case to be ok (you left the stock front one) and might want to add another 120mm to the bottom of the case. (unless you have other plans) air in should match air out. :)

Looks like a fun build!

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoyu34 View Post
Coming along nicely steers. I personally got tired of the poo fans. All five of mine went to the BST section.
It's nuts that the poo colour can be seen thur the top mesh of the ATCS. hehe
Maybe you can get some black fans?
This is the first build I've done using the notorious poo fans actually, so I'm a bit anxious to give em a shot. I don't really mind the colour scheme too much, and they're really not that visible through the top mesh (it's only thanks to the flash). If they don't live up to the hype I might end up doing the same thing as you did, but I guess we'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I would probably mount both of the heatsink fans vertical if you can - have the air exit out the top easier.. rather than blowing one on the other.

I found the two stock fans in the CM case to be ok (you left the stock front one) and might want to add another 120mm to the bottom of the case. (unless you have other plans) air in should match air out. :)

Looks like a fun build!
I think the heatsink config is going to take some fine-tuning for sure. I don't think the pull config on the CPU2 heatsink is going to work that well, so I'll probably have to end up moving the 4850 to the lower PCIe at some point. Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see what my temps are like first. Yeah, I guess I'm tipping a little more towards the negative pressure side of things as it is... I think I'll end up playing around with the config a lot once things get rolling. Given that this is my secondary desktop, it's in an aluminum case, and it's not full of water, I think I'm going to be inside this thing quite a bit

@shaw: Aaaah, stop tempting me! I'm hard-pressed for cash enough as it is!

---

Last edited by steers; June 8, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old June 11, 2010, 04:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Tonight I picked up the final necessary piece that I needed before I got started, so the build's gettin' finished this weekend. I'll post progress pictures as I go.

Finally, eh?

---
Old June 12, 2010, 08:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, she's together now, but I'm just in the process of working out some memory issues...

First of all, I actually put 3 of the DIMMs in the wrong banks at first You can actually see that in the pics here
Only see 6GB in BIOS? Yeah, you know what the problem is there. That was a simple fix.

After I fix that, I boot into the BIOS and only see 10GB out of 12
Now I either have a bad connection, bad DIMM or a bad slot... Most of those options suck

Pop 'er open, shuffle around the modules and determine it's one of the slots
I hope it just takes some finesse to make the connection... I don't have many other options as far as RMA go (bought it used)...

But anyway, here she is. This build was a blast all in all (not counting memory issues), and even though I've packed 8 fans in there (running the stock CM 230mm and 120mm at 7v) it's whisper quiet compared to my primary build, or even my tower fan in the corner.

Tomorrow, hopefully, she meets Linux

---
Old June 12, 2010, 11:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What is the purpose of a monster like this? Big compiling server needing a nice >10GB for MFS or what? :P

My phenom 940 and 4GB of ram for compiling would feel small compared to that
Old June 13, 2010, 12:08 AM
Banned
F@H

nice!

quite the bigadv machine ahem ahem

i guess it wont oc being a server board? :evil: