Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2010, 01:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Budget Workbench

I was going to call this the 'redneck bench'.. but I guess the best description would be budget or.. 'done really fast, cause I don't have any time' bench.. but that title was too long.

Basically, the backstory is, I have two folding boxes - and for some reason or another I bid on some stuff on ebay, and got a few good deals on HWC.. and blammo! third folding box. I kinda wanted another bigadv folding box anyways.. Even though I'm having OS issues trying to get things rollin'.

This is by no means a quality job.. it was certainly a rush job - holes are off, edges are sharp (not kid friendly) and basically just needed a fast tech bench for stuff I ordered which were sitting in the boxes. I'll probably order a 'professional' pre-made tech bench down the road, but this one is working fine for me now.

So I had an old case.. from an old girlfriend. Hell, she never came and picked it up - it was damn ugly anyways. And the dust! it's a fire hazard.. right!? It has to die.

It does have a removable motherboard tray, which kind of comes in handy down the road.

Start the cutting!

So after removing most of the plastic panels, and top.. I drilled out the rivets on the drive cages and such.. with more cutting with the tin-snips.

The bottom is a lot harder - anyone who has ever tried to cut a long path with tin snips knows it's hard to get a straight line - time to bust out the dremel.

It's starting to take shape. (dont even ask me how many dremel cutting discs I used)

I bent over the left side (on the dotted line) so I don't continually cut myself on the edges. Also cut the arms to fit.

Man, that bench gets dirty fast.

And... 10 minutes later.
I cut two 3/4" MDF pieces approx 12" x 14" to fit the motherboard tray on. I went out to Home Depot and picked up a 1 1/8" wooden dowel and cut 4 to size (8" each)

Paint. Black.

That's basically it. I used two way tape to mount the PSU so it will not move. I have the 3.5" bay sitting beside it, however I have a spare coolermaster 4-in-3 drive bay i'll mount under it in time: NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster STB-3T4-E3 3X5.25IN to 4X3.5IN Drive Bay Convertor Silver Black W/ 120MM Fan - STB-3T4-E3-GP In Canada.

I have already removed the gigabyte x58 board already, and put in an ASUS P5Q Pro w/ Intel Q9550 that i'll be putting under water (with 2x watercooled GTX 280s) I also cut out most of the back of the motherboard tray.. mainly because it was getting in the way of the cooler exhausting the air.

And the money shot is this.. the reason I needed some expansion:

Thanks to dazmode for the free waterbottle with my first order!
For those wondering, the EK Waterblock is for my main computer, it's for a EVGA GTX480 SC.. and the new TFC 3x120 rad is for the main PC too.

3 of the 4 GT240s were up in time for this years chimp challenge - one still sitting on my desk waiting to go in my main computer for folding.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old May 15, 2010, 02:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome work. Nice, clean workbench.

Will you be using that desk fan for cooling now that it's summer...?
Old May 15, 2010, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Are you planning to paint the motherboard tray black too?
Old May 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's some sexy stuff for a rush job .
Old May 15, 2010, 04:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

thanks guys.

lol@ desk fan.. I was using it to dry the paint actually. I know it's not the best way for paint to dry.. once again, rush job. :)

I was going to paint the motherboard tray - but due to time, and wanting to get the new bigadv folding machine working, decided not to. I ended up cutting away a bunch of the motherboard tray.. as I said, it's in the way of the CPU cooler exhausting. I'll have updated pictures once I get my shelves built (where all my folding machines are going)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nice bench.
Old May 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good way to reuse an old case. How much ppd do those GT 240's put out anyways?