Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 08:56 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_man View Post
Good to see another case being built from wood products. Sweet deals!!!
I worked with fiber board alot, and wouldn't call it a wood product. It is more like your starbucks coffee cups recycled into a sheets that can support almost their own weight.

Not saying it is a bad product. It is cheap, and can make visually pleasing objects quickly. From the pictures it seems ToB1 knows how to work this it, cause he didn't over tighten the screws leaving a welt around the screw holes.

I am guessing/hoping that ToB1 puts a nice layer of paint or lamenates it well.

Whatever you do, do not water cool this project.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 12:09 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 42

My System Specs

Default

Wow that looks like a lot of work, best of luck with the project, looks pretty cool
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 12:56 PM
ToB1's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
I worked with fiber board alot, and wouldn't call it a wood product. It is more like your starbucks coffee cups recycled into a sheets that can support almost their own weight.

Not saying it is a bad product. It is cheap, and can make visually pleasing objects quickly. From the pictures it seems ToB1 knows how to work this it, cause he didn't over tighten the screws leaving a welt around the screw holes.

I am guessing/hoping that ToB1 puts a nice layer of paint or lamenates it well.

Whatever you do, do not water cool this project.
I agree, but at the same time it feels a bit like wood, and it's a bit easier to shape.

Yes, I'm going to paint the whole thing ;)

And the reason why you don't want me to water cool it is because a leak would ruin the MDF?

If I just paint it nice and evenly with about three coats of spray paint, and then cover it with a layer of glossy clear paint, I think it would be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Spud View Post
Wow that looks like a lot of work, best of luck with the project, looks pretty cool
Thanks!
__________________
INVERTED by ToB1
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 02:44 PM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

Is it hard to work with wood for a case?? I mean, you don't fear the hole screw to break with the weight of the mobo?? Or you will fit iron on the hole to screw everything in?
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 03:16 PM
ToB1's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Is it hard to work with wood for a case?? I mean, you don't fear the hole screw to break with the weight of the mobo?? Or you will fit iron on the hole to screw everything in?
I find it easy because I've made things out of three since I was a kid

I have test mounted the hardware in the case a few times, and I used the case at worlds second largest computer party, The Gathering. The motherboard tray weren't even tightened, but I never got any problems with that
__________________
INVERTED by ToB1
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 08:23 PM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToB1 View Post
I find it easy because I've made things out of three since I was a kid

I have test mounted the hardware in the case a few times, and I used the case at worlds second largest computer party, The Gathering. The motherboard tray weren't even tightened, but I never got any problems with that

Good to know! I was pretty surprised first time I see you using wood but the more you do the more I admire this project!
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old June 10, 2010, 03:01 AM
ToB1's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Good to know! I was pretty surprised first time I see you using wood but the more you do the more I admire this project!
__________________
INVERTED by ToB1
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old June 13, 2010, 12:45 PM
ToB1's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 47
Default

I started cutting of a 15 cm long piece of the 1 m long screw, and then mounted the feet using two smal pieces of plywood and two nuts.




And as you see, the result turned out pretty well :)
__________________
INVERTED by ToB1
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old June 13, 2010, 01:03 PM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

Damn This is what I call nice! Do you build them on demand XD This project is more to more awesome and your ease to work with the wood is simply fantastic! I can't wait to see the final result!
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old June 15, 2010, 08:45 AM
ToB1's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 47
Default

Thanks!

If I build them on demand? Maybe
__________________
INVERTED by ToB1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TJ-07 Inverted ATX Mod Phobia Cases 0 September 9, 2009 07:02 PM
Inverted Motherboard tray Phobia Cases 7 March 23, 2009 06:42 PM