Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Default EX-58 Extreme washer mod and build

Materials I used for this mod:
-tweezer
-wrench like thing (not shown in picture)
-my hands
-screwdriver
-bunch of washers or 6 cents each (x10) that I got from Rona. You could probably get them from specialty screw/nut stores for less (or more?)

Here is the final product. No really, it is the final product. I'm serious. What you don't believe me? Ok then read on...

Here's what I did: I removed the heatsink assembly from the mobo by pushing out the pushpins, remove all the pushpins from the heatsink (just like I did removing them from the mobo). Flatten out the washers if they aren't flat already, and place 1 washer on each pushpin on either side the the spring (I chose the side closer to the mobo). It is possible to use 2 washers per push-pin, but it literally fits like a glove and will probably ruin your springs; you may want to consider cutting the springs so they are shorter if you want to use 2 washers. As you can see, I used one washer for each NB pin, and used 2 for each SB pin but I didn't waste any washers on the marvel controller's pins because the extra pressure on the SB would make up for it, and I don't really care about the marvel chip since it sucks and I don't use it.

I used this amount of thermal paste. The way I see it, with bare dies, too much is better than too little especially if your paste is not conductive. One part of the die (like the corners) can easily overheat while another part (like the center) is cooled adequately.

What the paste spread of that size looks like

Don't use paste on the SB or marvel controller, the heatsink just isn't low enough to compensate for the lack of a thermal pad.

Does anyone know why there's this gapping arrow thingy on the bottom of my TRUE rev. B? Should it point with airflow or against airflow?

Build is finally done. I did this during the time that Beavers_Gone_Banana's was third and evga/ocn had already taken 1st and 2nd, so no worries... though I'm back folding now that other forums are closely behind. I think this is the first time my HAF922 has actually been closed with both side panels and a completed build inside since I first got it at boxing day...

i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
TRUE 120 rev. B mx-2
EX58-Extreme
Patriot Vipers 3x2gb 1600mhz c8 1.65v
EVGA gtx260 SC 216 65nm (dead silent compared to my old bfg 55nm, also clocks helluvalot better)
2x 640gb black 64mb sata3 RAID 0
HAF 922
TX750 'murdermod' (with cheap techflex)
Old June 4, 2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Good idea. Next step would be using M3 (or whatever size would work) screws and nuts along with nylon and metal washers.
Old June 5, 2010, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if your gonna change them out you should use vinly nuts and bots have done this on many a board that has loose heatsinks.