Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 05:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default My HTPC Build Pics

My specs for the final build
Case: Silverstone Grandia GD05 ($89.10)(Awesome case, so simple and stunning at the same time) comes with 3 120mm silverstone generic golf bladed fans connected to my Silverstone FP33 fan controller.
Mobo: Asus M4A785-M mATX ($84.43)
CPU: AMD Athlon 60 x2 5200+ Dual Core (65w) ($59.99)
Heatsink: Scythe Big Shuriken (great temps from my CPU, never above 26*C with full basic HTPC load HD Video) ($49.99)
PSU: Antec Basiq BP550 Plus 550W power supply (awesome deal at $49.99 being modular and 80+ certified)
HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB sata Drive (recommended silent HDD) ($55.48)
RAM: Kingston Value Ram 1x 2Gb (so i can easily upgrade to 4GB after the dust settles on the DDR3 DDR2 debate) ($48.03)
Is it Silent.... Yes Inaudible from 1M away... Could it be quieter... yes hence I may only run 2 fans, once on either side to keep the Positive airflow pressure, PSU fan is silent.
some pics of the heat sink are with the Shuriken, then with the Big Shuriken, i swapped out the Shuriken and put it in another on its way to be silent P4 Re-Vamp Re Build

Old April 15, 2010, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Mobo: Asus M4A785-M
RAM: Kingston Value Ram 1x 2Gb (so i can easily upgrade to 4GB after the dust settles on the DDR3 DDR2 debate)
??? Debate? Debate is over... + that board only takes DDR2?
Old April 15, 2010, 04:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

you mis understood me, when the dust settles on the Volatility in the RAM market (earthquake tremmor in taiwan today = high ram prices tomorrow). DDR 3 is new, when it takes over the market, DDR2 should drop in price
Old April 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
HaDeS

Ok well as a silverstone HTPC case owner you'll need to keep an eye on your temps in the summer time. I lost 3 boards in my case until I finally modded the top cover with about 300 holes to allow heat to escape. It's been fine ever since.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Ok well as a silverstone HTPC case owner you'll need to keep an eye on your temps in the summer time. I lost 3 boards in my case until I finally modded the top cover with about 300 holes to allow heat to escape. It's been fine ever since.

Interesting, the case has always been cool to the touch if not cold, and the air that is exhuasted always is cool never even warm when in my entertainment cabinet, i mean i tried to build a low power cool build and i think i did it, i'll test it this summer, but i do have a air conditioner in the apartment so it might be fine.

thanks for the heads up though. Ive though about mounting the 80mm fan on the back to help pull air out as well.
Old April 23, 2010, 12:42 PM
Rookie

Awesome build, thanks for sharing. I am still on the fence about making an HTPC.
Old April 23, 2010, 01:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkyu View Post
Awesome build, thanks for sharing. I am still on the fence about making an HTPC.
Thanks!!

I say if you can afford more than one system Do it!! I just looks so nice there with the TV and Amp etc..
If its going to be your main rig for gamming etc.. I'd be on the fence too.

a pic of it compared to my Mini-ITX bedroom HTPC:

Old April 23, 2010, 01:52 PM
Rookie

I have somewhat of an htpc setup with my tv, but it's a midsize case tower with wifi using a dvi->hdmi cable. Good thing my tv is big and it can hide it behind. I've been debating building a mini-itx system with atom+ion. Perhaps there's something better at the same size out now? I havn't researched into building an htpc for a few months now.