Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 12:00 AM
Top Prospect

Thumbs up New Build- Corsair 800D --> My cleanest build ever. Watercooled

Hey guys, it's upgrade time for me (a somewhat minor one). i actually feel like I'm downsizing quite a bit, but because of my new Corsair 800D (from a Mountain Mods U2-UFO, a great case nonetheless) I'm having to rethink and plan to make everything work.

Thankfully, it seems like everything is going to work out great!

So the parts:

- i7- 965 EE CPU (have had this CPU since it's launch, no point in upgrading it yet! still very very GPU limited with 3D Vision (1920X1080) and even with my 30" monitor.
- 2 - GTX 480's in SLI, water cooled (either going to get EVGA Hydro Copper version, or EK blocks)
- 1 - GTX 280 (from my previous TRI-SLI build), this will be a PHYSX/Cuda card. It seems more and more games are using this and alot of games I play would benefit from it, so why not!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick word before moving on, I had a hard time deciding on TRI SLI GTX 480's or 2 GTX 480's, to compensate I decided to keep one of my GTX 280's as a PHYSX Card and made a compromise! YAY ME... (I don't really compromise much, as some people might tell you)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Thermaltake 1200 Watt PSU
- Asus Rampage II Extreme
- Corsair 3X2GB 1600 DDR3 Ram
- BD ROM and a DVD ROM Drives
- 6 way fan controller (Rheobus)
- Thermochill PA 120.3
- Bitspower fittings (mostly)
- Primochill 1/2" Black Tubing
- Red Dye
- Corsair H50 (push/pull config)
- Scythe Kaze fans
- Corsair 800d.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on, Really don't have much to say, other than this is really my first TRUE water cooled build. I have done several upgrades so far which involved me getting my hands "wet" in water cooling, but I was fortunate to have Linus build a couple of systems for me @ my house as I got to watch and "apprentice" so to speak.

Here are some pics from undoing my Mountain Mods case to what I have so far on the 800d. Enjoy!

Old system pics:

Haha my way of stopping leaks:

Start of the new system built, had to change a few things.

As you can see here, the 120.3 Rad does'nt fit perfectly, the case is made for swiftech spacing, but works fine if you mount the middle fan properly!

So far so clean, Getting there:

Now all that's left is the new GPU's and adding the BD ROM drive, oh and of course the tubing + Water!
Old April 7, 2010, 06:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Very nice! How do you like the case?
Old April 7, 2010, 09:08 AM
Rookie

i really liked the color combo for the tubing in the original build,gave it a nice unique feel
the corsair unit really tidied up the inside, now your case seems sort of empty
Old April 7, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

So a triple rad just for the videocard?
Old April 7, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
So a triple rad just for the videocard?
You have see the temp of these card like everyone here

Nice work OP I will follow it!!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 7, 2010, 03:49 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys. On the one loop I have 3'gpus. And my north bridge. Most would say that's too much for the triple!
Old April 7, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post
Thanks guys. On the one loop I have 3'gpus. And my north bridge. Most would say that's too much for the triple!
I was under the impression that a GTX 280 was the only thing under that triple. Yeah, three GPUs and a NB seems to be to much imo.
Old April 7, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

looking good, and i agree with everyone else on the overload of the tripple rad.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:32 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah, most would, but to be honest, I have found that Watercooling GPU's only goes so far for me. I won't be overclocking the GPU's much and after a point the cooling gets to a moot point. When I had 3 GTX 280's, at max OC the heat never went above 45 degrees. I'm assuming the GTX 480's will run around 55 degrees, which is ok:) EVGA states their load temp (with thier stock "overclock") runs at 50 degrees.
Old April 15, 2010, 06:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default Update!

Hey guys so gonna give my last update before the full system is done. I heard that I will have my 2 GTX 480's and waterblocks next week :):)

So far things are looking pretty good!

And here is a pic of the airflow in my case: