Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2010, 03:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default [Project] Bender : Low Cost, High Performance Folding Unit Enclosure

Overview:

It is time to finally assemble my dual GPU/quad core SMP folding machine and build a permanent home for it as an open air system is asking for trouble in a house full of kids, two dogs and a cat.

My wife allowed a budget for this modding project: $0.

So I will have to make this machine out of what I have lying around the shop, in my parts bin or find on the side of the road. Yes, this is going to be ghetto, but I will do what I can to keep it classy.

The Case:

I have kept an eye out for an ATX case for the last few weeks and came across one out for the trash with a dead PIII system in it this morning: Score!

Its your basic fugly POS no-name case from the late 90's with poor airflow and is missing the 3.5 drive bays. A perfect candidate for total do-over mod.

Here's the case in all of it's mediocrity:

The Parts:

As for components to go into the case, I am reusing the old guts from my HTPC's previous build and a few parts from my bin:

• Processor: Intel Q8200S 2.33Ghz Quad With an OCZ Vendetta II cooler
  • Video Card: EVGA GTX260 Core 216 & BFG GTX260 Core 192
  • Memory: 4Gb OCZ DDR-1066 with OCZ Cooler
  • Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2
  • Storage: Some old IDE hard drive from the parts bin
  • Additional Cooling: A box of fans to choose from
  • PSU: Silverstone Strider 850w Fully modular PSU

The Plan:

The goal is to have a headless automated box that turns itself on and off on a schedule that will fold like hell when hydro rates are low and sleep when they are high. Airflow is the most important consideration in this build as all components will be clocked as far as they can go for maximum points generation. This will need plenty of airflow to keep everything cool and happy for a long time to come. Noise is not much of a factor as this machine will run mostly while my family is asleep, and looks are not that big of a deal as my wife doesn't have to see it. :D

I want to be able to drop in a full sized ATX board down the road for more expandability, and that's about it. My PPD should get a decent boost once this is all put together. And now I am off to get some work done as I have set a goal to have this mod completed sometime next week. Updates to come soon.
Old April 1, 2010, 03:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If its anything like McBane this is going to be another amazing mod which i'm looking forward to follow
Old April 1, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damnit, if you were in Toronto I'd donate so you wouldn't break your wife's budget allowance and could do something stellar. I have like 400 dollars worth of Duplicolor self etching primer and paint that could really do a number on that case that's just sitting here!

Curious to see what you do here!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 1, 2010, 04:15 PM
Banned
F@H

lolz and a go for it maite!!!!
Old April 1, 2010, 04:41 PM
HaDeS

Quote:
My wife allowed a budget for this modding project: $0.
I for one vote that she increases your budget.

You could just cut her off until she comes around yeh?
Old April 1, 2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

And I thought that this is what you were gonna do.

mini-itx.com - projects - bender case
Old April 2, 2010, 05:35 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
If its anything like McBane this is going to be another amazing mod which i'm looking forward to follow
It won't be quite the same caliber as MacBane given the budget restrictions but I will do everything i can to make it as nice as possible given my limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Damnit, if you were in Toronto I'd donate so you wouldn't break your wife's budget allowance and could do something stellar. I have like 400 dollars worth of Duplicolor self etching primer and paint that could really do a number on that case that's just sitting here!

Curious to see what you do here!
That's man, as that is a great offer and very much appreciated. I am often in the GTA for business trips but I doubt the airlines would let me bring any aerosol cans on board. I have more than enough paint options here to find something that should work

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
lolz and a go for it maite!!!!
Thanks Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
I for one vote that she increases your budget.

You could just cut her off until she comes around yeh?
There's no chance of having the budget changed I am afraid, I may however use a few parts from another longer term project to help Bender get completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
And I thought that this is what you were gonna do.

mini-itx.com - projects - bender case
That's the right Bender, but my reason for calling it that was something along the lines of "Protien Bender". I am thinking of finding a Bender figure and putting it in the case by one of the windows, yes this case will have lots of windows as I have multiple small pieces of acrylic and plexiglass on hand.

Thanks everyone, I will try to make some progress later today.
Old April 3, 2010, 01:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ugghhhh I was so fortunate to read through the MacBane thread from start to completion in one foul swoop! Now I'll have to wait impatiently for updates!! Booo! I'm going to follow this very closely though as I have an old case with an e4200 and gtx260 core 216 I would love to have some fun with!!

Look forward to the updates man!
Old April 3, 2010, 05:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

God! after what you have done with this old mac I can't wait to see what you can do with this case and a folding baby!! Keep us up to date dude and carry on with awesome work! Ho and if you want some more card to fold;) throw a PM I should have some here:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 3, 2010, 08:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks everyone, progress has been made:

I planned out where everything was going to end up:

I have a couple of Antec 900 fan bays on hand and it fits perfectly providing me with a HD location and one of two planned front fans:

Next up I took care of cutting out the three new window and fan locations:

And yes I do have a box of fans to pick from for this project, I have however earmarked the Noctua's for a classier project that is on the go. Everything in the box is an option for Bender.

I hope to get onto painting before the end of the weekend, cheers everyone

Tags
case mod , folding@home , ghetto , low budget build