Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2010, 06:04 PM
Top Prospect

4th Shipment

Silenx 92mm fan (4 x $8.65USD)
NCIXUS.com - Buy Silenx iXtrema Pro 92MM Red LED Quiet Fan 1600RPM 42CFM 14DBA Fluid Dynamic Bearings 3/4PIN - IXP-64-14R.

Slienx 120mm fan ($13.24USD)
NCIXUS.com - Buy Silenx iXtrema Pro 120MM Red LED Quiet Fan 1400RPM 72CFM 14DBA Fluid Dynamic Bearings 3/4PIN - IXP-74-14R.

Enzotech copper heatsink (2 x $11.99USD)
NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech CNB-S1L Forged Copper Low Profile Northbridge Heatsink Square - CNB-S1L In Canada.

This is my first time ordering with NCIX. I never heard of them before this forum.

I decided to get some quieter fans, and better chipset heatsinks. The 92mm fans are 42cfm and 14db. The stock 92mm fans with the coolermaster tx3 heatsink are 15.7 - 54.8 CFM, 17 - 35 dBA. The 120mm fan are 72mm and 14db. The silenx fans look really sharp compared other fans.

Motherboard Tray Update

I bent the sides of the motherboard tray around a 1/2 inch thick piece of pine. I hope that this will stiffen the tray up. I cut some holes in the tray for wire management. Additionally, I heated up the washers on the backside of the tray, and melted them into to tray to make them flat.

Chipset Fan Mount

Only one of the two chipset heatsinks were shipped. Instead of using the small chipset fans that are loud and small air flow, I decided to just use a 120mm fan. This is a headless server so I don't need the room for the video cards. I used longer bolts on the motherboard tray to hold the mount for the fan. I placed some cuts in the mount, and melted them to make some kind of design. I am hoping with the fan's LEDs lights the mount up well.
Attached Images

Last edited by whited; April 6, 2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: adding comments
Old April 5, 2010, 08:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

How did you get that effect on the fan mount piece?
Old April 5, 2010, 10:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
How did you get that effect on the fan mount piece?
I made a jig to make parallel cuts with a cut-off wheel. The jig was just simple steel stock clamped to a table. I placed a mark that lined up with the last cut, and just slid the piece. The cut-off wheel was on slow, and I made shallow cuts. I took a fine file, and cleaned out any melted left over acrylic. I then took a map torch and heated it up. The cuts in the acrylic rounded, and made a lenticular-like surface. The picture doesn't give it justice.

Last edited by whited; April 6, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:09 AM
Top Prospect

I order a Silverstone ST1000-P as that was recommend by one of their engineers. I will be getting 2 new north bridge heatsinks today from NCIX, as they only had one of the previous in stock but listed as they had two.

I have to replace a honda engine this weekend, so probably won't get much done on the case.
Old April 15, 2010, 01:53 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
I order a Silverstone ST1000-P as that was recommend by one of their engineers. I will be getting 2 new north bridge heatsinks today from NCIX, as they only had one of the previous in stock but listed as they had two.

I have to replace a honda engine this weekend, so probably won't get much done on the case.
Single-rail PSUs seem to be the best option for these power hungry boards, good choice!
Old April 22, 2010, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect

I put it together in my incomplete case, with the new fans, silverstone PSU, and chipset heatsinks.

Prime 95 ran through the night all cores at 100%.

Wattage 4 processor idle 250W, full load 510W.

Chipsets 25C down from 45C.

Processors up to 35C from 30ish.
Don't know if this is because of change in ambient temp, or the silenx fans are weaker, or box doesn't give it the same airflow.

Pray with me that it doesn't crash by the time I get home, and the PSU or the Chipset heat was the problem.

I'll post some pictures soon.
Old April 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
I'll post some pictures soon.
Yes please!
Old April 22, 2010, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

It lasted 15 hours in prime 95 mode 1, L2 memory only. It would crash before under those conditions.

I added some fans around the memory and started mode 3, which tests RAM also. Here is a picture of the processes starting prime 95 mode 3. (Remember this computer only has 16mb graphics.)
Attached Images

Old April 24, 2010, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

Here are some pictures I took while putting this beast together to test the new PSU. The case isn't complete yet, but this allows you to get a good idea of were the project is heading.

The first picture is of the old psu and the clearance between it and the motherboard. Additionally if you look between the last PCIx and the PCI slot, you can see one of the 7 case fan plus. Notice how close it is to that cap. You cannot fit a 4 pin, power management fan on that connection.

With the new PSU, the connectors are 4+4 EPS with wider clips from my other one. I had to trim both the clip, and a fan plug that is placed right next to it.

The chipset fan's clearances is pretty tight. It is pressed against the power, and sata connections, it just clears one of the CPU's fans, and the AM mounting clip. But it has been successful in dropping the temp from 45C to an impressive 25C. Additionally you can still read the motherboard codes through the fan.

The last two pictures are just are of the entire set up. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by whited; April 24, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old April 24, 2010, 02:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'll ask what everyone else is thinking.

What are your numbers for bigadv folding? lol!

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.