Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2010, 11:04 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Test each Cpu individually? Not fun. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors. It seems as if everyone has some sort of trouble building multi-socket systems.
I know you feel my pain. I saw everyone had some kind of issues. I wore surgery gloves, and grounded myself on this build. I was very careful while touching anything. Compared to the usual pizza, beer, and sitting on carpet while building.

Last edited by whited; March 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:14 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
I know you feel my pain. I saw everyone had some kind of issues. I wore surgery gloves, and grounded myself on this build. I was very careful while touching anything. Compared to the usual pizza, beer, and sitting on carpet while building.
Tell me about it. Took me 3 mobos to get everything to work. I had two supermicros prior that were a bit cheaper, but in the end I dished out the $1,000 for the -SI, brand new. I hope your fate isn't the same as mine.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:01 PM
MVP

*crosses my fingers as well* hope its just a bad board and you'll be able to get a quick RMA, even though the -E version seems to be EOL (which is why it's so cheap)
Old March 16, 2010, 06:54 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I hope your fate isn't the same as mine.
I wish I could just pay the difference in price and get the SI. I am going to call Tyan and see if changing my bridges' heatsinks would void the warrenty. I think 45C is too hot. What is the temp of your bridges?

CPU0 ran 24 hours at full load and no problems. I am guessing that is long enough for testing.

NOTE: 1 CPU, 1 HD is 90W IDLE, 160W Full Load.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:43 PM
MVP

Any update on the progress?
Old March 24, 2010, 07:20 AM
Top Prospect

All four processors ran for 24 hours all cores at 100% alone. I tried duel processors and it wouldn't post.

Over the weekend I started working on case components, and left the motherboard alone. I managed to make the harddrive mounts, but dont have pictures right now. It is made from acrylic, can hold 11 drives, and has 2 of the 3 180mm fans mounted in front of it. I was drinking while I was making it so one piece isn't as nice as I would like. I am going to move forward and maybe come back to it if I have time.

I bought some more acrylic yesterday, and will hopefully get some work done tonight.
Old March 24, 2010, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect

Harddrive Mounts
Here are a few pictures of how I plan to mount the harddrives in my case. I made 2 mistakes while making these. The jig I used to drill the 3 hole side was off making me have to go back over and drill the holes bigger. Which I don't like. Additionally I used MAP gas instead of Propane and ended up burning the acrylic in different places.

Also I am sorry I do not have any progress pictures of making these since the camera was misplaced.

I tapped the fan holes to #10-32tpi, and used 1/2 inch bolts. The harddrive screws are #6-32tpi and I used 1/2 bolts with #6 washers.
Attached Images

Last edited by whited; March 24, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old March 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
Top Prospect

Case

The case I showed in the first page of this thread was made before I got the parts, and I didn't like the dimensions. The front panel was something like 26" by 7". The 180mm fans couldn't fit in it, and the one side wasn't straight.

The new case's front is 21" by 8.5", and it is as square as it is worth getting. These sheets come in 24" by 48", and they cost $43(USD) at Lowes. I have been learning tricks on bending these over the course of this project, and can say I learned how not to do it the first time.

My Procedure :
I set up a jig that has angle iron and strip steel squared to it. This way I can move the sheet around during the process. Draw a line where you want the bend, and heat up both sides of the acrylic completely around the line with a propane (not map) torch. Once the acrylic is flexible move the sheet and line up the sheet in the jig. Continue to heat it until it bends completely. Take another piece of strip steel, and press on the bend until the acrylic cools and settles.

The marker I used is a silver sharpie. The heat doesn't effect it much, and you can use something like brake cleaner to remove it.

You can see with the last bend I had to flip the angle iron around to bend it. Also I had to use strip steel to hold the case square for the last picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by whited; March 25, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quick Question. Should motherboard post be grounded? Someone told me that brass is non-conductive, and that is as post mounts for motherboards.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:45 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
Quick Question. Should motherboard post be grounded? Someone told me that brass is non-conductive, and that is as post mounts for motherboards.
Brass is electrically conductive, though it has much lower conductivity than copper or aluminum. Standoffs do not need to be grounded since there are plenty of other paths to ground connected to the motherboard, but it doesn't hurt.