Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2010, 11:43 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm hoping that isn't real steel...would be a bit unsafe keeping that lying around
Yeah, I like to keep fake guns laying around my house. Just in case I need to scare someone away. All my guns are real, and everyone in my house knows gun safety. I have no children, and we shoot weekly. There are about 15-20 guns in my house: pistols, grenade launchers, assault rifles, shot guns, and rifles.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:57 PM
Top Prospect

I have had this quad quad running for 3 days nows, and it has managed to freeze 3 times.
  1. Memtest86 - Ran for about 6 hours over night. Checked everything in the morning and it was still running. When I got home from work, it was frozen.
  2. ubuntu F@H - Running only on 2 cores at once, and changing affinities, it ran for 6 hours throughout the night. Morning everything was fine. One-two hours later it was frozen. CPU fans at 50%
  3. ubuntu Prime95 - Moved the fans to be directly over the bridges, and gap between heat sinks. Removed all but one HD, and removed the dvd drive. Ran this in option 2 which is designed to use little RAM, and test L2 cache. Ran for exactly 4 hours, all cores at 100%. At the fourth hours I got on and was going to post temp reading, and it froze on me.
All freezes no output to the monitor. It reads no signal. And the motherboard reads an AC error message.

Temps during last freezing
  • CPUs between 25-35 C
  • Left bridge 41-45 C
  • Right bridge 35-40C
  • PSU 25 C
I am going to let it idle all day tomorrow and see if it freezes without any load. Then I guess I will be testing each CPU and RAM.
Old March 13, 2010, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

I booted today and only 1 quad showed up under linux. Very Strange.
Old March 13, 2010, 10:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you have a spare power supply kicking around, would be a good first start. You can run that board off 1 cpu and ram, could bust it back to a single cpu and do all the tests to see if the board fails.. if it passes, you get to swap ram and cpu til you find the bad one. :\

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
At least 4 rails, 1000w, and 2 8pin EPS were my requirements. It was on sale through a perferred customer page for an additional $50 off. The orginal price was $200ish, but it was definately a risk buying that unit. But I dont have any video cards or add-ins. I will measure the wattage I am using and report back (once I get the tool). It seems to be stable, but I do worry.
The PSU is alright. It's basically the same thing as this one: Tuniq Ripper 1000W Power Supply - Tuniq Ripper 1000W Power Supply | [H]ard|OCP

Not great, but since you won't be loading it all that much, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old March 15, 2010, 07:20 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The PSU is alright. It's basically the same thing as this one: Tuniq Ripper 1000W Power Supply - Tuniq Ripper 1000W Power Supply | [H]ard|OCP

Not great, but since you won't be loading it all that much, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Thanks for the information. I don't know how you linked those together, but your awesome.

Board is running 1 CPU, 1 HD, 1 dimm RAM, and all the temps are around 20-25C. Hopefully it doesn't freeze.

I contacted the seller on E-bay. He seems pretty cool with helping me replace a CPU if I need too.
Old March 15, 2010, 07:46 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Test each Cpu individually? Not fun. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors. It seems as if everyone has some sort of trouble building multi-socket systems.
Old March 15, 2010, 08:57 AM
HaDeS

I would expect buying a used quad board on ebay is just asking for trouble. Nice about the cpu help though hopefully they all work normally. I havce a question though, wouldn't it be easier to test the cpu's / ram on a single slot mobo? Then you can eliminate the board?
Old March 15, 2010, 09:15 AM
MVP

board was a new buy, it was the procs that were bought off ebay. and as far as single slot mobos go, I'm not aware of very many single socket F boards
Old March 15, 2010, 11:03 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Then you can eliminate the board?
If all processors fail, then it is most likely the board. Or I have very^4 bad luck buying processors.

I honestly think that it is the board, or the 2nd processor. All the processors may work individually on the board, but the HT between the processors may be bad. In that case I wouldn't be able to tell if it was the board or the processor, without getting another multi-socket mobo.