Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2010, 04:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamula66 View Post
Great mod! I've heard about major crossfire heat problems and this look like a good way of fixing it.

any chance of sticking this as a guide in the how to section???
I actually had something like that in mind, sort of combined with a mini-review of the video cards at the same time
Old April 20, 2010, 05:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow. I guess I'll be avoiding a stock cooled 5770.. I get an average of 60C on load with the vapor-x, with a whisper quiet fan as well.
100C is unacceptable in my books.
Old April 20, 2010, 07:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
Wow. I guess I'll be avoiding a stock cooled 5770.. I get an average of 60C on load with the vapor-x, with a whisper quiet fan as well.
100C is unacceptable in my books.
The stock cooling is actually pretty good if you are running a single card as my HTPC runs a single card of the same make and model (Gigabyte 5770 Ultra Durable 1GB) and that card idles at 33-34 and hits 60-63 under load (900Mhz core). The issue with my Crossfire setup is that on my MATX board the inside card is right up against the other limiting the amount of air it can get. I am sure if I had another slot of space between the cards I am sure that the temperatures would be fine.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

good stuff. im wondering if that mod will make a diffeence on my vapor x cards, my idle temps are already 35-40 and load is 60-70.
just want to get rid of extra noise, 80mm fans arent very good for keeping noise levels down.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
good stuff. im wondering if that mod will make a diffeence on my vapor x cards, my idle temps are already 35-40 and load is 60-70.
just want to get rid of extra noise, 80mm fans arent very good for keeping noise levels down.
I had a 5770 Vapor-X for a bit and never noticed the fan noise at all at load. Are you looking for no noise at all as its very tolerable IMO.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My idea of silent and others are totally different. I work in a noisey computer environment, so when i get home i need silence. so all my gear in my rig is designed to be silent or near there while still being able to perform. I agree the vapor x is probably the quietest actively cooled video card out there. maybe i have a defective fan, it was fine at the start and now at 40% (never goes above this) i can hear it, possibly because i've made everything else in the case silent...
Old April 23, 2010, 07:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree with the fan being audible. Yes, quiet still compared to any other active cooling but I seek silence like you. I'll tell you what: I'll disconnect all my fans except the vapor-x, see if it is audible. Edit to come..
and I see how that crossfire setup would destroy temps btw.

EDIT: Well, silent at my desk, a little audible close-up. Sealed the case and it was mute. Gaming however ramped it enough to hear, which had an unpleasant mechanical sound as far as fans go.
Whoa this is off topic from photos. Sorry, that's the end of me

Last edited by clone63; April 23, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old April 28, 2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

here's mine

tri fire pictures by steve_hen - Photobucket
Old June 7, 2010, 02:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
When they make an aftermarket cooler for a 5970 I'll post then... haha.
Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme is an aftermarket cooler for the 5970.. However I think they're all sold and and for now discontinuing sales. The cooler was warping cards and ruining dvi ports :(

I was also waiting for an aftermarket 5970 cooler. But to say the least, the stock vapor chamber keeps it pretty cool at all times.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

5970 owners looking for aftermarket cooling should start watercooling those suckers