Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2010, 08:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Project: Basement

I purchased a home over 2 years ago, and constantly "upgrading" it.

Among the frustration, was having most of my network equipment on my computer desk. As soon as I moved in, I wanted to tear the walls out to run cat6, however time, money and patience (of my girlfriend) always got in the way.

So, when she was at work one night.. I tore out the walls. The problem with the half wall in the basement, is that I have pine wainscoting. When you tear out the tongue-and-groove wood, it splits and you have to basically buy new ones - because it's so thin.

Here are a few photos:

The start - tore out the trim pieces + started with the boards.
Notice the vapor barrier - no taping.

Wall plate coverings off

And out comes the insulation, and vapor barrier.
One note, is that the insulation was installed wrong, and so is the electrical. It should be run through the boards.. not run around the back of them. I didn't change this.. I would have to basically tear out the entire basement to do this.. which was more work than I wanted to. (Mike Holmes would not be impressed)

Starting to run the cat6 wiring. (girlfriends PC on the left)

corner shot of the wiring.

wire ran, insulation back up.

how to insulate 101 - taping / sealing for no air leakage.

Obligatory cat photo. Her name is Chloe, she's a ninja. Mainly to show the new boards.

Obligatory girlfriend photo. She's not impressed.

The start of putting it back!

corner shot - first network jack (2x Cat6) on.

all the boards on - no trim yet.

shot of my computer desk - still no trim.

complete (except paint)

complete - paint not up.. to show the difference that stain makes.

Behind the wall - underneath the stairs.
650VA Cyberpower (POS) UPS running modem, router and switch
900VA APC BackUPS XL running Dlink NAS + Windows Home Server (to the right on a stand, not pictured)

It took about a month off-and-on to finish the project, working some nights and the odd weekend (with a flu or two mixed in there) The girlfriend still has to paint, which she isn't exactly enthused about, then we can move the desks back to their proper place. I ended up running 4 network locations, 3x two plug, and one 4 plug for my desk. All cat6 wiring, keystone jacks and tips.

Cheers.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:57 AM
Rookie

Looks great. Congrats.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good, why can't you stain/paint the boards you ripped off and replaced eh? lol
Old March 6, 2010, 10:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Looks good, why can't you stain/paint the boards you ripped off and replaced eh? lol

When I removed the boards, they are so thin, they basically break into pieces. They are under 1/4" thick, and the tongue / groove interlock is extremely thin and breaks easily when taking apart. Some of the boards were usable.. but had holes in them from pulling nails out - it was way easier and faster just to cut/replace all the boards at once. 10x 4 foot tall boards (3 feet wide) cost $7.. so I wasn't worried about it.
I thought I had pictures of the huge mess of boards I piled up, but I can't find them.

Quote:
Old March 6, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Personally your going to find that unless you rip off the old stuff when you go to stain it you'll notice the difference and it'll bug you. I'd redo all the wood and that way it can be stained properly again..

Unless your gonna use paint.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I was asking why does your girlfriend have to paint the new ones, why can't you
Old March 6, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't believe they didn't tape the vapour barrier! what the hell is the point of it if you don't!? lol
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 6, 2010, 01:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Personally your going to find that unless you rip off the old stuff when you go to stain it you'll notice the difference and it'll bug you. I'd redo all the wood and that way it can be stained properly again..

Unless your gonna use paint.
I agree, the original stain was tinted - and I have some left. I'm going to take an old board and new board into the hardware store and have them color match the tint.. I'll try it on the old board and dry it with a hairdryer, and stay there til it matches properly.

As for the girlfriend painting - that was the agreement, and she likes to paint. She didn't care for the turmoil during the past month tho.

The house was built in 1995, with the basement reno done about 6 years ago. The original builders did an ok job, but the basement reno (as you can see by the electrical + vapor barrier) is shoddy.. i'd love to know who they used and report them. Some of the things like the laundry room were terrible, not to code and things common sense tell you not to do (like putting the laundry water taps above the dryer 220V outlet) I've done a few renovations in the house already to fix the major problems, heh.

Quote:
Old March 6, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Check Code

It used to be that insulation wasn't suposed to go rite to the flore in a basement. One fooot of the floor and horizontal peaces of wood to stop insulation from slipping. I think it was fore water and mousture isues.

Looks good but watch out if you get water isues the glass bats wick.