Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2010, 08:34 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default Project: DarksideII

It's back. Some people on here may have seen my original Ashen Phantom/Darkside project on other sites. That whole thing got abandoned due to lack of funds and wanting to have one good PC rather than 2 mediocre ones. This time I actually have the hardware and the old case was collecting mouse dropppings out in the shed, only a few coats of paint away from being completed. The case started off looking like this:

The windowed side panel on it was actually an extra one, so I had the orignal one machined to have 3 smaller windows side by side. I cut out the grills for the 80mm fans to improve airflow. The guts were painted with chrome spray paint, which never did harden up, so for this re-birth, I just blasted the whole thing and had it powder coated BLACK (Which only cost $8 since we do powder coating at work and it one of our age old perks, most people just get wheels painted)

Anyway, I'm going to use this for my Atom, so it will be sitting in my living room when I complete it. The front panel will have to be done with spray paint as it's plastic with more bondo than has probably ever been used for a PC mod before. The PSU had been totally modded, but I had completely undone that. I'll have to debate re-modding it, or just grabbing a new modular one. The silver sleeving doesn't really go with the black interior.
Old February 25, 2010, 05:11 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

OK, time for a history lesson.

Fanage

Window slice and dice

Way to much bondo, it does presently look better than this. Uber bright HD and power LED's should shine through the paint.

PSU transformation, incorporating a dual fan controller. (2 small holes to the right of the bottom fan and a knob for control)

Stealth power, reset and CD open buttons
Old February 25, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

I like your window design $8 to do the whole case - nice! If I mail you parts can I get a discount /jk
Old February 25, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking good! I like it already. Although, why are you putting an atom in it? Why not build an atom PC in a small case for use for HTPC which is what I'm guessing it's for since you're putting it your living room. Wouldn't you want a small case for that? Why not put your main build in this case and make a sweet modded case for your atom
Old February 26, 2010, 07:23 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Woohoo, only $5 for the PCing.

I needed a new case for the Atom, I couldn't find one in the price range I wanted with the required drive bays, I had a case sitting in the shed that I had never finished. Boom, 2 problems solved at once.

Anyway, I've been tracking down my bits and peices and I appear to have everything I need. The front panel appears to have suffered some damage, so I'll have to get bondoing and sanding again before I can paint it.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:15 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Grabbed a new PSU, since I never really trusted the old one anyway.

I've been wearing gloves when touching this case, the evil finger prints are from the overly curious crowd at work.

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; February 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks sexy so far.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:15 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Minor update:

- fan wires sleeved in black spiral wrap
- lighting wired up Optek OPA773 LED array they're not at their full brightness at 12V, but they'll still fry your retinas.
- DVD±RW modified to work with stealthed button
- feet attached
- window(s) installed. (some rather cool looking material which I'm not going to reveal yet)