Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Project: DESK.

Well I'm going to build a new desk for myself, only because i have no room to run eyefinity on my current desk. not really sure on what wood i will use for this but it will not be MDF. I'm thinking stained plywood. looking to fill my wall and house my floor standing speakers, center channel, switch, tower, 3x23" monitors, router, receiver, sub woofer, keyboard and mouse. here is what i have for an idea so far.

1 week till the build starts.

Last edited by kyle_L; March 5, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old February 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks awesome, I was going to build my own desk but decided not to because I am to lazy lol, The flat pack desk does a good job though it was a pain to put together lol. Good luck with building your desk, Remember to drill holes for cables..lol, if I could change one thing on your desk I would probably try and build a CD rack to go on the left hand corner of the desk (from the actual desk up to the bottom of that compartment) but that is just because I have a lot of DVD's, Blu-Ray movies, PS3 Games and PC games that don't have a place to sit and look tidy, which may not be a problem to you.

Looks good hope to see some pics of the finished desk soon.
Old February 23, 2010, 10:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hello Kyle L,

My suggestion: Plan the design of the desk so it can be taken apart for the purpose of moving to another house or apartment. It would be a shame to lose your money and time on this desk project.

Creating separate desk and hutch units usually will get through most doorways.
Do you have dimensions for the desk and hutch yet?

Do you plan on having full plywood back for support or use 2.5 - 6 inch wide bracing around the outer edges?
Old February 24, 2010, 04:17 AM
HaDeS

There is zero strength in that design and unless you build it in 2 pieces it will be way too heavy to move. Think about how your house is built when you have a long flat section for your monitors... unless that wood is over an inch thick it will just warp at the weakest spots. Sturdy desks are re-enforced with steel or more wood in the corners. Even floors in houses are strengthen with joices but it is relative to how much weight you are supporting so keep that in mind when building this.

A piece of steel in the shape of an I would provide the needed support.

Wood or something would have to be added under the speakers it cannot be hollow like you have drawn. A 40 dollar brad nailer and some wood glue, clamped till dry would help. If you don't glue it then you need to screw it. That's the rule. If you have a table saw I would rip down a straight 2x6 or 2x4 in 1 inch strips then rip those 1 inchers on 45 into 2 equal halves to be used as corner filler. Triangles can and will provide support in weak areas so will semi circles. Your best bet would be to mount the table/desk on a steel frame of some kind then go from there... look at your kitchen table if you don't believe me bro. You need to provide dimensional strength to non dimensional material like MDF or plywood. This is something IKEA knows nothing about or just ignores basic construction rules.

Good luck.

Last edited by HaDeS; February 24, 2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree partially with Hades regarding the strength of the desk; however, there is too little information in your sketch to jump to conclusions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the top was made of 1 in of wood and in that case, I doubt there would be warping, with the feet placed where they are, it helps to solidify, but you may consider having a piece of wood that would go from one side to another, a bit like the "I" shape Hades was talking about. You just need to figure out how close to the front you can put it.

I am actually in the process of getting my own desk built (drawn by me with a bit of technical help, built by others). Originally my budget was similar to yours, but I'd like to keep it for a while, so I chose a finish that wouldn't get messed up like my current cheapo desk. Make you post lots of pictures of it tho.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:47 AM
HaDeS

If he uses 24 inch monitors in eyefinity then that is 6 feet. So I have to assume that desk is nearly 8 feet long which is the length of a piece of plywood. If you have never lifted a piece of plywood this thick before then you have no idea how heavy this thing will be. Then you want to add another sheet for the speakers? Plus the back? It's gonna weigh 2 tons which hey... there is nothing wrong with weight if you have help to move it around. IF that was one solid desk... minus the needed support you are looking at 3-4 sheets of solid plywood. Finished that thing would weigh over 200 pounds.

This is where cost vs weight comes into play. If you used aluminum (light/strong/pricey) or steel (heavier/strong/cheaper fab) square hollow 1inch. Then had a frame welded to add the wood you want then your talkin... Now you can use lighter weight wood to finish the backs and sides, speaker boxes, etc. And use 3/4 inch - 1/2 inch MDF or interior grade plywood as the desk surface.

You very well might be able to find a good used table and strip it down to the framing.

You would need interior grade semi finished ply in any thickness you choose or it will look and feel like an uncladded house. MDF is nice to finish but has very little strength over long spans. MDF also requires some skills or it will just fall apart on you as you fasten it. I know what I'm talkin about as I build things for a living.

Last edited by HaDeS; February 24, 2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
If he uses 24 inch monitors in eyefinity then that is 6 feet. So I have to assume that desk is nearly 8 feet long which is the length of a piece of plywood. If you have never lifted a piece of plywood this thick before then you have no idea how heavy this thing will be. Then you want to add another sheet for the speakers? Plus the back? It's gonna weigh 2 tons which hey... there is nothing wrong with weight if you have help to move it around.
Don't worry I have a pretty good idea of what a piece of plywood weights, I've built a few houses and keep in mind that the sheet won't be 4 feet wide, rather possibly closer to 2... Anyhow, without proper measurements, it is impossible to know all the details. Keep in mind its only a rough drawing.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:21 AM
HaDeS

2 feet? Way too small bud. A piece of paper is 10 inches long. This would be closer to 3 feet to be a viable desk because anything less than 32 inches is just a waste of time and effort. Don't forget Kilauea... he has 3 monitors to stare at.. would you want to be sitting that close????? You could box frame with 1inch strips ripped on a table saw to build the top surface then 2 boxes at either end for the speakers with say a 2 foot piece along to back to join them to keep the weight down a bit you could take it a step further and carriage bolt the desktop to the speaker boxes on the bottom which would make this a 4 piece desk.

Here is a question for you. Where were you planning to put the mouse and keyboard? Have you considered hanging the monitors on the back of the top section? This would clear up some much needed desk space. IT would also get you a little further away from the monitors which is easier on the eyes? This whole eyefinity stuff sounds great on paper I guess but it's not very practical when you take everything else into consideration eh?

Last edited by HaDeS; February 24, 2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old February 24, 2010, 06:01 AM
MVP

The design is simple and clean. We need dimensions first, you said fill your wall like 10-12' not a problem just different construction needed.
Old February 24, 2010, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
2 feet? Way too small bud. A piece of paper is 10 inches long. This would be closer to 3 feet to be a viable desk because anything less than 32 inches is just a waste of time and effort. Don't forget Kilauea... he has 3 monitors to stare at.. would you want to be sitting that close????? You could box frame with 1inch strips ripped on a table saw to build the top surface then 2 boxes at either end for the speakers with say a 2 foot piece along to back to join them to keep the weight down a bit you could take it a step further and carriage bolt the desktop to the speaker boxes on the bottom which would make this a 4 piece desk.

Here is a question for you. Where were you planning to put the mouse and keyboard? Have you considered hanging the monitors on the back of the top section? This would clear up some much needed desk space. IT would also get you a little further away from the monitors which is easier on the eyes? This whole eyefinity stuff sounds great on paper I guess but it's not very practical when you take everything else into consideration eh?
You are right Hades, 2 feet is too little, I said closer to 2 feet (than 4), but a lot depends on the OP's decision regarding his keyboard and mouse. I, for one, like to have a keyboard tray so that saves space on the desk and helps be a little further too, but based on the sketch provided there is none. That doesn't mean there won't be any. I think the next step is to to the OP to provide some measurements so we can stop speculating what it would be.

One thing is sure (for me), the top part shouldn't be connected to the bottom part for weight purpose, but it should be for stability purpose. So, what you could do is to just have a few metal brackets linking both parts together. However, I personally have such a thing with my current desk and while I recognize it is very useful, it is not a part I like to have on my desk, since I prefer to have a less crowded desk. If possible I'd rather simply have a tablet on my wall which doesn't sit on my desk, but that is just my opinion.