Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Project Cyberus

So this is what has transpired. My lovely linksys w/ tomato has decided it no longer likes the internet. As such i am pissed at linksys for crappy hardware so have decidde to build my self a linux based router box. I am currently testing both pfsense and smoothwall. I am leaning towards pfsense since it's vpn support is much better than smoothwall (smoothwall out of the box only supports ipsec while pfsens supports, ipsec, openvpn and pptp). The hardware i am currently running my work around is overkill so i have ordered some more approiate hardware for the job. Here is the hardware layout.

Intel Atom 330 Board m-itx
Norco 2U Short Rackmount Case
Intel Pro 1000MT Dual Port NIC pcix
4GB Hitachi Microdrive
1GB DDR2-pc6400
Corsair VX550W PSU (overkill i know but it's a high effciency so that will help)
Addtronics CF->Sata Adapter
SATA DVD for install.

I currently have everything but the case (grrr, purolator hurry up already). Once i have that expect an update. Also keep an eye out for my new rackmount fileserver build. I think you will be pleasntly surpirsed but nothing on that for now
Old February 26, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

bit of an update. I got my case today at work. I am very impressed with this case considering it's price $60. One other thing i was impressed with is the capacity install up to 4 3.5 hdds plus a cdrom. This would make an excellent small nas enclosure. chuck an m-itx atom board or m-atx board 4 1TB drives and you would have quite a nice little freenas or WHS appliance.

Expect pictures later this weekend.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ok so the build went fine hardware wise. But i have discovered 2 things.

1. Server grade PCI Nic's don't get along very well with atom m-itx boards
2. microdrives suck balls.

Since then i have decided to scrap the original intended purpose to install a linux router OS on this and instead i am repurposing it for use as a Backup and restore server using WHS since it's backup and restore feature is awesome.
Old February 27, 2010, 08:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Weird that the pci card wouldnt work. So your scraping plans for the router?
Old February 27, 2010, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i would sudo work. some stuff would see other stuff wouldn't. So i am just going to use my wrt54gl. if it borks again i will replace the router.