Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2010, 03:03 PM
Top Prospect

Well, it has been an interesting few months. University, stupid sleeping patterns, an excessive number of nights spent in clubs… Well it is time to get back on track don’t you think? I have been living in halls of residence at the University of Glasgow as of week after my last update. Hence, as much as I would love to be modding in my room that option was thrown out the window given the fact that I am not allowed to have a candle in my room due to “health and safety” and spraying deodorant has the potential to set off the fire alarm! I reckon they may have a few things to say if I broke out the dremel, jigsaw and paint cans.

But I am now home, where I was welcomed with horrible cold weather, snow and my dads efforts to kindly sorted out the shed (and hide all my stuff!). But that will not stop me from modding, it may hinder but it will not stop! Anyway on with what I have to show you eh?

Well I got to work on the windowed side panel, as you may recall I am going to be putting some armored panels on both sides. Originally it was going to be in 3mm aluminum but in order to finish this mod anytime soon I have decided to use a slightly easier to work with material MDF… I hate the stuff with a passion but given enough patience it is possible to cut out, file, sand and finish in a short space of time.

I have created 4 separate pieces for the windowed panel.

The second image shows the reason why I hate MDF, it splits but it will be possible to fix that when I attach it to the panel :)

Until next time, catch!
Old December 30, 2010, 07:05 AM
Top Prospect

Another day, another update :) The motherboard panel has now been finished, well ish anyway, I am considering adding another bit to the armored paneling. Hence, the panels have not been completely finished yet.

Also a big thanks to Fractal, NZXT, and TM3!
Old January 4, 2011, 02:41 PM
Top Prospect

Well it is coming to the end of my holidays and I have not got any where near where I wanted to, this is due to a number of things… Mostly I did not anticipate the length of time the family expected me to spend with them! Well I have one another update for you before I run off to university again, there may be another one before the week is out however.

It is not much but it is getting there! As the concept drawings showed, there is going to be protective roll and ‘bull’ bars on the case. I have decided for the sake of time to use wood and copper pipe. I cut four pieces of wood, which will hold the bars in place.

The 4 end blocks as well as 2 others whose purpose will be revealed later :)

Added copper pipe

Until next time, mod on :)
Old July 11, 2011, 11:12 AM
Top Prospect

Cough, Splutter, Cough!

Guess who is back! I have not died, nor have I been hiding... I have just moved country, as has Project: MNU. 600 miles later it arrived at the new house in which I have space to not only mod but store stuff!

After unpacking about a quarter of the boxes that made the trip I found one of the side panels and the armour paneling which goes on it - well most of it anyway.

With half my stuff still in boxes I have taken over my youngest sisters outdoor table to work off.

Another find was the modders ruler from MNPCTECH...

There is a large hardware store round the corner from the house so I trundled along to grab some glue - I know that one is epoxy, the other I have no idea what it is!

and with the instructions in French and Dutch there was not much I could find out about it without buying it so I did.

It ended up being a random compression glue, a quick search brought up a few books to weigh it down.

No idea what happened here, apparently I cannot cut a straight line! A quick saw and sand and we were ready to go.

All done - well the bits I have found anyway! I am going to search for the last piece tonight and will hopefully have the other panel completed tomorrow :)

Mod On!
Old July 12, 2011, 07:12 AM
Top Prospect

I am back for the second day in a row with another update :)

I still have not found the last of the pieces for the windowed side panel...

So I finished the mobo side and am pretty happy how it looks at them moment.

A 140mm grill from MNPCTECH, still do not know whether to leave it brushed or to paint it white. Probably white though.

My panels look like they have had a terrible tiger print paint job but that is what happens when you leave masking tape on it for almost a year :-/ I am not too worried about it though am going to be sanding it down to paint it.

Cutting out all the hex mesh on the case.

In an attempt to get rid of the glue on the case I gave them a bath in hot water and washing liquid, but to no avail. Looks like I am purchasing a mouse sander to get this sorted out!

I also gave the front a quick coat of white to get rid of any nicks from the move. Unfortunately it has started raining....
Old July 12, 2011, 08:02 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Fold for team #54196
Old July 24, 2011, 06:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Looking forward to seeing it finished!
So am I :)

Anyway, another weekend and another update! Lets try and keep it this way, eh? I have been at work during the week and as I am a student I get paid weekly... This means I had some money to burn - whats the point in saving right? So I went on a mission to find a mouse sander. Easier said than done! I asked my dad if we could go to a large hardware store which was about 15km from our house, they had the mouse sander on the shelf, but did they have one for sale? Apparently not - or that is what I assumed anyway after a random (possibly on topic) semi english conversation with a store assistant. So I moved onto the french hardware store round the corner from me, they were in the same boat, none in stock! So I walked a few km to the dutch hardware store. They were also out of stock in the store... mouse sanders are popular eh? BUT they did receive a Black & Decker delivery that day so they went to the back to check and like a kid at Christmas I eagerly waited for Santa to bring me the box that I wanted... VOILA, a Black & Decker Mouse Sander (and polisher apparently)!

Within 10 minutes of getting home I had broken her in, sanding off all that icky masking tape glue!

Now I have managed, to either misplace or just forgot to take... the images of the panels all ready for priming, but you all know what a piece of scuffed up metal looks like :P

The side panels, due to the MDF being porous needed some special attention so I took another trip to the hardware store. I found what I believe is wood primer, it had a picture of wood on it anyway, and painted the side panels up with an old school brush first, I will sand it down when it has dried and re prime it with aerosol primer so it is all smooth and the like.

I made this random discovery while I was unpacking, we have never owned this but it was packed with our stuff.... I reckon it has the makings of a cool desk, but that is for another time.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:18 AM
Trial Member

it's looking great so far. looking forward to more updates
Old July 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
Allstar

Holy smokes, this is impressive!
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old July 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj689 View Post
it's looking great so far. looking forward to more updates
Cheers dude, there would have been one tonight... but technology has failed me, lets hope for tomorrow haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
Holy smokes, this is impressive!
CHEERS!