Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2010, 02:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent1mezzo View Post
Can't wait to see this build.
Cheers dude! I cannot wait to see it finished and under my desk!

Oooo, look at this another update this week... Not much of an update but when I got this done this evening I thought it was worthy of an update.

Before I got the case from Fractal Design I asked Bill if a triple radiator would fit into the case and his answer was yes, it is possible... So I went ahead and organised to get the case shipped off to me. Today I had a few minutes between studying to strip out the drive bays, which are no longer needed as I wanted to be able to watercool this beast and had other plans for the drives, but once I had removed the 10 or so rivets and attempted to place the radiator it I was faced by a this!

The old style Thermochill PA 120.3 is a match made in heaven for the Fractal Design Define R2! Take a look at how much space I have to play with on the top on bottom of the case, about 2mm in total.

Once again thanks to both Fractal Design and NZXT

Catch you later!

Last edited by Kylevdm; September 1, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old April 20, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its like a perfect fit! So those are obviously G3/8, but the barb end look tiny lol. 1/2 or 3/8?
Old April 21, 2010, 02:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Its like a perfect fit! So those are obviously G3/8, but the barb end look tiny lol. 1/2 or 3/8?
They are 1/2" barbs... or I hope they are haha I have not really looked at them properly
Old May 6, 2010, 03:11 AM
Top Prospect

Hey all!

A quick reply to inform you that this mod is currently on hold :( I have been diagnosed with viral labyrinthitis which has damaged my inner ear and therefore I cannot balance...

I have been told that this may last for up to 6 weeks so there may not be any updates for a while and for now I look like a drunk with no alcohol! And modding while "drunk" is not the best thing in the world and I want to live past my 18th birthday! :)

Will be working on designs etc though!
Old May 6, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylevdm View Post
... I have been diagnosed with viral labyrinthitis which has damaged my inner ear and therefore I cannot balance...
I had a very similar condition a couple of years ago. Really not fun at all. Hope you feel better soon!

Looking forward to some more updates
Old May 6, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had something similar about 6 years ago; woke up one day and couldn't even stand up.. just kept falling all over the place. At first I was scared to death because I generally didn't feel sick; I could barely crawl though cause the whole world was spinning 10x worse than it's ever been when I was my most drunk haha.

But once I talked to a doctor and found out I wasn't dying; I thought it was completely funny - and so I terrorized my family for the five or six weeks I had it by smashing around the house and breaking stuff ahahaha

Get well soon!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 7, 2010, 01:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I had a very similar condition a couple of years ago. Really not fun at all. Hope you feel better soon!

Looking forward to some more updates
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I had something similar about 6 years ago; woke up one day and couldn't even stand up.. just kept falling all over the place. At first I was scared to death because I generally didn't feel sick; I could barely crawl though cause the whole world was spinning 10x worse than it's ever been when I was my most drunk haha.

But once I talked to a doctor and found out I wasn't dying; I thought it was completely funny - and so I terrorized my family for the five or six weeks I had it by smashing around the house and breaking stuff ahahaha

Get well soon!
Cheers Guys! I have been terrorizing them for years with the electricity bill :)

Even though I am ill the postie is not! Look what arrived today :) :) :D My cables from NZXT!
The braid is a decent quality but the cables are black so you do not see any funky colours leaking through!!!!
CHEERS NZXT and excuse my slightly lazy photography of said cables I do not have the energy to set up a soft box to stop the reflections etc

Oh and I am not planning on keeping them like that... there is going to be some modding done to them too :)

Once again thanks to both Fractal Design and NZXT

Till next time....

Last edited by Kylevdm; September 1, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 03:26 AM
Top Prospect

Hey all!

I have another sponsor update :)
I am going to be working with TM3 Connections a company who supply audiophiles with everything they need!
Quote:
TM3Connections originated from an idea born from a desire and passion to provide fellow enthusiasts with home audio and video equipment. Relentless in the pursuit of hi-fi perfection we like most of you have spent a small fortune, sometimes with very little gain.
We have realized that some Hi-fi kit was sometimes overrated, over marketed and certainly overpriced. There is a massive group of people who have already made the same discovery, preferring to construct their own designs or using other not so highly marketed brands which have a huge reputation amongst the various AV forums.
The members of TM3 have between them over 20+ years of experience in various fields ranging from wholesaling, engineering, electrical installation, marketing and accounting. Between us we have added our own individual talents and constructed a very able and enthusiastic group...
They provide braiding too and are kind enough to send me enough braiding to sort this mod out!
Now for the little amount of really ish modding I have managed lol... I have only really managed to mask stuff off and start marking it out.
The front panel is going to have to have to be completely remodelled! The Fractal case has small lips on the fan holes which I am going to have to get rid of so I have marked out a 1cm border which will get rid of the lip as shown below :)

marked out front panel

Once again thanks to both Fractal Design and NZXT and off course now TM3 as well :)

Last edited by Kylevdm; September 1, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old June 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

Hey all!

Well I know that I said I would have an update then disappeared from the face of the Earth... And sorry about that but you must all know what life can be like! I have just finished stage managing a show with 150 performers so that took over a fair bit of my spare time and the rest was taken up by work, you know the thing that is funding this mod :) haha.

Anyway I am going to be kicking out a few updates in the next few weeks the first being what I got done tonight!
As I want to hold a PA120.3 in this case the drive bays went bye bye and therefore so can all the gubbins in the front bezel. Who wants 2 fans anyway! I WANT 3!!!!! So after bit of chopping and sanding I have a now slightly flimsy bezel :-/ but all is good I have lots of scraps of aluminium which will come in very handy in making a nice new inset both to make it look EPIC but also to give the bezel some extra strength. Any here are the pictures.

As you can see it still needs a little bit of cleaning up but nothing that a bit of filing, sanding and paint will not fix. Remember this case is going all white on the exterior so I am not too concerned by some of the scratches etc, they will all be sanded out and painted in a nice Toyota Hilux Pure White. I have the colour codes ready and will be ordering the exact colour that the truck is painted in!

Until next time why not take a look at the guys supporting this project!

Last edited by Kylevdm; September 1, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old June 22, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

That was over a month for that update :( Yay for the update!