Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2010, 01:54 AM
Top Prospect

Default Kovok's New CM 690 II Advanced

Had a nice surprise waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday, my new case! I love this thing, best case I've ever had (out of 3, the antec 300 which was modded to death, and the VSK-2000). Only complaint is that there could have been a bit more space behind the motherboard tray and that I had to get a screwdriver out to undo the thumb screws.

I've got a fairly hefty power supply, which has a few too many molex connectors, so I had to cut them off. Hope it doesn't need warranty work any time soon... Anyways, here's pics.

I love that ram beyond belief. I went through so much to get it, and it's red.

This build is basically a Gigabyte Mobo (love the colours), Phenom II X2 550 unlocked and oc'ed to 3.4ghz, 8gb DDR3 ram, blu-ray drive, an SSD and a caviar black 1tb. Not too sure about the SSD, not quite feeling the speed yet.

The reason I got this case is because it looks plain enough, has TONS of features, and later on when I upgrade my gpu's for some ATI ones I can watercool if I feel it is necessary.

You should see the space behind the mobo, it's a mess. A modular power supply is definitely my next buy.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ooo..that's a really nice shine on the RAM there. I like

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old January 31, 2010, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Not bad at all. Where the PSU first goes behind the motherboard it looks really clean Good worn I say.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks great, How is the Kaze Master Fan Controller treating you, I have got mine inside my new case but I am still lacking the fans & a motherboard to play with it on, I heard that it glitches sometimes doesn't effect the fans but all the numbers on the screen go bad. Has that ever happened to you?
Old January 31, 2010, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect

I had to wrestle that side panel back on after managing those cables. The 24pin is waaay to fat. I wish they did flat ones.

The Kaze Master is actually really good. I don't use the temp sensors as I'm not really that interested in temps in the case, just the CPU. I haven't found a fault with it yet, it has nice long cables that take PWM fans too. You've got to make sure you either give it lots of power or turn the fans off cause the fan failure alarm is LOUD.

Just looking at the case every day makes me want to put a rad in there. Or more stuff.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:54 AM
Top Prospect

Nice rig, but one things stands out. How come you don't have the cpu fan on the other side pushing, so it exhausts hot air outside of the case.

Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6ghz
Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Sapphire 4870X2
3x4GB Mushkin Blackline
Corsair tx750 watt psu
WD 640gb black
Antec 1200
Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme
Old February 1, 2010, 03:03 AM
Top Prospect

It would add too much noise, and I like symmetry. I don't have another identical fan to put there. Also the way the fan is right now it seems to pull all it's air through the fins of the heatsink. I probably wouldn't notice a difference f I put on another fan, because I can't monitor temps anyways on this thing. The way I have to do it now is by putting my hand on the heatsink to see if stuff's warming up.
Old February 1, 2010, 05:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
Looks great, How is the Kaze Master Fan Controller treating you, I have got mine inside my new case but I am still lacking the fans & a motherboard to play with it on, I heard that it glitches sometimes doesn't effect the fans but all the numbers on the screen go bad. Has that ever happened to you?
Nice setup, cutting the cables off is one way to reduce cable clutter and something I've thought about a lot but never had the nerve to do it. My Kaze Master is also rock solid, never had any issues other then losing the power connector for it when I sold my last case. Scythe gave me a new one after I paid the shipping.

Old February 1, 2010, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovok View Post
I had to wrestle that side panel back on after managing those cables. The 24pin is waaay to fat. I wish they did flat ones.
You could always take a lazy Sunday Afternoon and sleeve it
Old February 1, 2010, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

Ohhh... That would work too... However the professional series from corsair looks like the cables are flat. And it's modular. But having a spare PSU would make me want to use it in something.

Oh my new sound card just got here. In fact it's what woke me up, the purolator guy actually rang the doorbell for once! I've got the X-fi Titanium champion series thing. It looks pretty wicked so far. Now I just need to find someone getting rid of their Killer Xeno Pro.