Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have finished painting the keyboard, and it looks great. The keys seem to be sticking a bit and if it's a major issue I will have to take it apart (for the 5th time I think) and file down the hole where every single key goes. But it looks good, so it's all worth it

I don't have any way to post pics ATM but as soon as I get more of the log written I will post it. Thanks for the comments!
Old February 16, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I haven't been too busy with the log recently (I try, but with school it's hard enough to make progress on the mod let alone write a log). I plan on having it done by March 6th(?) for No Man's LAN, but it may or may not happen. Need to make every day count now! Hate to be rude, but right now my attitude is mod now, log later. I will have a full, properly written log after the LAN.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Well, I haven't been too busy with the log recently (I try, but with school it's hard enough to make progress on the mod let alone write a log). I plan on having it done by March 6th(?) for No Man's LAN, but it may or may not happen. Need to make every day count now! Hate to be rude, but right now my attitude is mod now, log later. I will have a full, properly written log after the LAN.
I know exactly how you feel... School takes a lot of time out of a build, not to mention work if you have a job too. March 6th is still a bit away, you should find some time to get er' done Looking forward to seeing your end result.
Old February 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The front triangle is very close to done, I just have to do a quick touch-up with 320 grit to complete the frosting. But of course, I have only 100 and 1500 (for lapping)
Old March 16, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Phew, what a week. I just went through a bout of illness and have not had the PC up and running, and therefore have not been able to access the pictures stored on it (I would upload the pics from my laptop but no imagehosts seem to like Ubuntu). The log itself is mostly written, I just have to upload all the pics and post it. There will be a few hardware changes occuring soon.

Asus Maximus Formula II, anyone? I hate the drab green of my 680i LT (but, unlike most people, loved the board besides that). And how better to celebrate a great board at OC'ing than watercooling? I am going to be going WC'ing eventually, whether I have to buy it myself or (hopefully) get a sponsor of some kind. I am planning for a CPU ad maybe GPU loop with a MCR220 in the bottom near the PSU and another up top if I get a GPU block.

So give me a few days to get the pictures uploaded and the log going again.
Old March 17, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Now, the switchplate. I really, really wanted to have control over the lights and (maybe) sounds in this PC, and nothing looked sharper than these rocker switches from Performance-PCs.

1 switch for the front panel LED stick, 1 for the interior LEDs, 1 for secondary internal LEDs, and 1 for some sort of fan control. I looked all over the case for a good spot to put the 4 switches and considered in the front, on one of the drive bay covers. That could have caused issues with the door and would be annoying to access (opening and closing doors FTL). I finally decided on the grill on the back panel. It was pretty convenient and the perfect size. I had a piece of scrap smoked acrylic sitting around, and I couldn't think of a better piece to use. I started measuring up the space and realized I didn't even need to cut the scrap piece to size! I love it when life lets me be lazy. I have 4 switches so I marked out the internal diameter of the area where the grill is, and then spaced out all 4 holes evenly and marked it.

Holes marked out.

Piece goes here.

Ready to drill. After a lot of fussing to get the hole saw working, we were in business. First was 4 pre-drilled holes so nothing skips off course.

Then the holesaw itself....

It looks great. Worked just as planned. It was ever so slightly too small for the switches to fit in comfortably so I had to file a bit before the switches fit in happily.

Now, a little sandpaper and polish for the edges (1500 grit followed by some green compound) and we have a nice, shiny new switchplate! I used some of the screws for 3.25” hard drives included with the case, which are black, and drilled 4 holes for those to fit through.

And as easy as that, it's done. The wiring still needs to happen (I haven't finalized what I want to control anyways) but that should be pretty quick and easy.

Now, the front triangle-dealy. I had some major issues with clearance - it was not a simple matter of just cutting it to size and slapping it in. There were a few major things blocking it

The bevel on the left side (the whole thing)
The mounts that the aluminum triangle mount onto.
LED light on the front of the case (that comes stock)
Bevel on the right side of the case (only by a little bit, no biggy)
Power LED and switch-box, just the corner

And that was about it. So first (and most importantly) I had to remove the left side of the edge/bezel completely. First I cut a strip up the middle (not sure what I accomplished here, I must not have been thinking straight, maybe it was supposed to be for the LED strip. Either way, it was pointless :P

Now, with my mind in the right place and a bit of planning, I began to cut the bezel away until it was flush with the face of the panel. This required the use of a dremel w/cut off wheel initially (low speed, high speed = nasty smell and melted plastic goo all over the wheel).

After I finished that I filed it to a uniform edge (sorry, forgot to take finished pics) and moved on to the next task... painting the case!
Old March 21, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So, the front triangle-dealy. I drilled the holes for it at school, so I don't have any pics of that. All I can say is that there are 5 holes ~1/2" big to mount onto the standoffs for the metal triangle already in place. I also cut a hole in the middle to make room for the LED bar that comes stock (I wanna keep it :P ). Anyways, here is the piece with the (terrible, useless) protective plastic still on it.

That small triangle was a test piece to see if 220 grit or 320 grit diffused better. I decided on 320.

Stupid plastic gone, washed with water and those drops were left over.

Sanding. 320 grit.

Sanding done. Looks pretty good at first glance....

But not the best at diffusing light. At this point I decided on making an aluminum cover for it, so the light only shines out the edges. Modders Mesh wasn't going to be enough.

And some beauty shots of the (now old) mobo...

I'm getting an Asus Maximus Formula 2.... not a shabby looking mobo at all.

No real pics of the making of this, but here is the top USB thing painted.

It was as simple as taking it apart, masking it, removing the un-needed cables (audio and e-sata) and painting. Turned out pretty well I think.

Next update, well,, hopefully some good pics of the build as it stands. System is installed but I am moving to the new mobo in a few days. Just hope it's nice and overcast tomorrow..... it's been really sunny lately, the light is too harsh.
Old March 27, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"Final" pictures.... in current configuration.

Next on the list? Aluminum cover for the plexi front triangle (so the light only escapes out the side), longer LED stick for the front (50cm opposed to 30cm, so it goes all the way from top to bottom), and new motherboard (Maximus Formula II).

And who knows, watercooling may happen.
Old April 4, 2010, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am proud to announce that MNPC Tech is now sponsoring the build! Bill sent me the following...

Matte Black Vinyl Film

12"x12" Honeycomb Modders Mesh

120.2 Radiator Template

12"x12" Smoked Acrylic Sheet

4x Anodized Black Thumb Screws

However, the shipment hasn't arrived yet, as it would appear to be stuck in customs and it is the Easter long weekend.

I'd like to give another big thanks to Bill Owen and MNPCTech!
Old April 5, 2010, 05:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks great so far! I love the sleeving and the buttons!!