Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2010, 03:10 PM
Allstar

You guys don't like the "Hardware Canucks" text Eh? For this case, it's a must but Yes, I can make more without the text.

Maybe you've debated about painting your Obsidian chassis. This is how I remove the plastic "Tool-less" 5.25 bay sliders without breaking the tiny plastic tabs inside. These tabs hold the slider onto the bay. You will need to bend the metal tabs as I illustrate here. You need to first file down the sides of the metal tab, so it will sit flush when you flatten it (not shown). I will then tap the metal tab with a flat head screw driver using a rubber mallet.

Keep in mind if you're painting your chassis, you will need to bend the metal tabs back into place after re-installing the sliders. Doing this will likely chip your new paint! so you'll have to re-touch these tabs again. After considering this thought, I've decided to eliminate the sliders altogether. Corsair has left the option of fastening in your optical drive the traditional way with screws. Only 2 screws per side, but thats sufficient enough!

I just barely cleared this flattened tab. Because of the thick factory paint finish, you should file down the sides of the metal tabs first, so they will sit flush when you flatten them.
Old January 26, 2010, 03:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

For this build it suits, but for individuals who wanted to purchases them for their own builds it might not.
Old January 26, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ooh cool!
Old January 26, 2010, 04:15 PM
MVP

Your builds are one of. This a great learning experience watching these unfold keep them coming. Brown Beavers are natural but I hope that is not the colour choice for this prized beaver.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:50 AM
Allstar

If you decide to paint your Obsidian chassis, remove these plastic tabs in the Hot swap drive bay, poke in with your micro flat head while pulling it out from beneath.

The Obsidian's four-drive SATA hot-swap drive bay has 4x screws, which leads the user to believe it's removable without disrupting everything. Wedged beneath it is vibration dampening material with 4 positioning tabs which has solid grip on the HD bay. The only means I see in removing this bay is by spreading side walls apart, then pulling it out from either left or right side. You can't pull it out toward the rear of the chassis, becuase the upper 5.25 bay has a fold that prevents this, so you have to BEND the side walls of the HD cage to pull it out. I didn't like this thought, I opted to remove the both the 5.25 & HD bays by drilling out the pop rivets.

1/4" thick rubber beneath the HD bay for isolating vibration. Nice one Corsair!

Upper 5.25 and Hot swap bay removed.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:54 AM
Allstar

Just for fun, let's see how the Obsidian feet look on a Lian Li PC-7 plus

Old January 27, 2010, 02:31 PM
Allstar

This is the fan grill design for the case. It's cnc machined from 3/16" thick 6061 aluminum.

Old January 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Oooo...
Old January 27, 2010, 04:06 PM
MVP

Those feet look classy on there.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the hwc symbol is awesome, very cool

Tags
bill owen , canadian case mod , corsair obsidian case mod , custom case , mnpctech