Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2010, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So far so good! Are you sure that hard drive is going to fit in that cartridge? Can't wait to see it all put together with the controllers and everything! Genesis was the shiznit back in the day. NHL 95, Gunstar Heroes, Vector Man. mmmm Sweet mod.
Old January 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wish as well, but for right now i'm stuck with this the cell phone camera right now. I am fairly certain the big/long sega genesis cartridge will hold the 2.5" sata drive as it is about twice the length of a regular sega genesis cartridge which fits about 75% of the hdd already. I already have the sega genesis emulator, some roms of games i have at home, along with some other systems as well. This will will play the following systems:
NES
SNES (currently do not own any NES or SNES controllers)
Sega Genesis
Gameboy (Colour)
Gameboy Advanced
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 64 (eventually will make a n64 to usb adapter to use the proper controller)
Old January 18, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How about PSX :)
Old January 18, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Cool stuff , I like the retro mods.

I have input.

-----------------

You must work on the pics.

First thing : regardless of camera type , the most important thing is a stable base.Try to setup/take your pictures so that your hands/arms are well supported . Also , lots of light helps....it should increase the shutter speed , which will help with things.

Secondly , Take more than 1 picture of everything. When I do worklog pictures , I typically take 3-5 different pictures of the same thing , then choose the best photo.

-----

It does not matter if, 'few' people will see the back.You gotta clean that up.I thought up another method after our IRC conversation.....

I also thought of a way for you to fasten everything down.

Then it donned on me where you are.

The answer to both issues is easy mang.You need to walk down to one of the mechanical engineering wings and meet some new friends.Friends with tools and lab access.

---

If yah don't wanna meet new friends , I'll help yah out.

Old January 18, 2010, 09:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Those sadly are the best pictures that were taken from that crappy digital camera in this old phone. I have no zoom control, no shutter speed, nothing other then point and shoot.

Yeah mech friend of mine said he would dremel it if i had one, since he doesn't have his here and well neither do i so that may be put off till a later date cleaning it up.
Old January 19, 2010, 02:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Update, Deeival was nice enough to donate a license of Windows 7 for me so it is now running that. Was pleased to see that the install took only about 20 mins vs the nearly an hour of xp. Also seems the system 'responds' nicer with Win7 over xp.
Old January 19, 2010, 02:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ya i got windows 7 on my EEE pc with only 1 gb ram. runs alot better then xp did on it. win7 is a good os in my opinion.

the sega pc is coming together nice. lol pretty cool retro idea.
feels weard saying retro for the sega. i remember when it came out, everyone i knew had to have one!lol bloody thing is almost antique now lol

i found an old sega genesis here in the closet. if you ham that one up let me know. i will donate this just cover shipping. also i got controllers and original box's for some games
Old January 20, 2010, 05:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks RONEDOGG, i'll keep that in mind in case i botch anything up or if i want to make it look 'nicer' by modifying ti differently.

I remember too when ti came out and that was the system i had at home growing up until i got an N64 a year or two after it came out (i played SNES games over at my friends) so i hear ya but it was just laying there, its more of a challenge then an NES mod and well its been a nice thing to keep me busy when i'm not doing school work.

Updated the main thread to have the pictures for the time being to allow new visitors to see the progress without having to go through all the posts to find it.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

ITS ALIVE!

Finally was able to mount it and boot it enclosed. I do not have the usb to sega genesis stuff nor the sega genesis catridge so the hdd is sitting outside of the case but it is currently work in a lounge steaming a movie. Pics to come tomorrow
Old January 31, 2010, 12:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Its alive in its case, i dont have any pictures of it running right now as i finally got a misdelivered package from ronedogg so was doing some more work on it and wont be putting it all back together once i get a few more things completed on it.

The board is finally mounted into the sega genesis. What i ended up doing was using some plastic tubing (you know the kind used for plumbing/fridges), cut them to the desired length with wire cutters then used the screws you use to mount fans to cases. It sits snugly and is easily removable as the screws still come out and go into the board/plastic mounts just fine. I also got the fans i ordered in on friday and they are sitting/mounted.

Here is a side of the 'case' fan which is sitting on that side mounted at the heat sink to get some air into the case. It is sitting there specifically because that is where the sega genesis naturally had its venting and there are some small holes for the air to be sucked in by the fan and blow across the heat sink.

Since motherboards dont have onboard volume control anymore i decided i'd put something else in its spot. Since i had 2 spare usb heads/connectors i removed the plastic that was there, cut a little bit bigger opening for the usb heads to fit. I then taped them together so they'd sit snugly in the opening and then used some super glue to hold them into place. Will go over it a second time with some glue and electrical tape to ensure it is not going anywhere when someone pulls out their usb device.

I had to rewire the sega genesis power light for 2 reasons. The first one was that it was burnt out and would no longer turn on, the other was i was making a custom wire block to go the motherboard and had to rewire anyways. It will be tucked away so there is no excess wire for it to get caught on anything.

Here is the front of case with the usb mounted in the volume control location. The on/off switch fell off, i'm going to put it back but may just always leave it in the on position.

Replaced LED in the power LED spot on the sega genesis.

Here is the sega genesis mostly closed, didn't feel like screwing it shut as i will be doing some more work inside of it shortly and dont want the hassle just for a picture. The wires you see sticking out at the bottom left of the case, near the volume control are the different wires going to the motherboard block. The power switch will be mounted where the reset switch is, the power LED is that excess blue/yellow wire you see and i was thinking of putting the hdd LED where the headjack used to be as it will fill the empty spot plus be a little interesting. The SATA and molex cables are sticking out of the catridge slot since thats where the hard drive will be, but right now i can't seem to open up the sega genesis catridges i got from RONEDOGG since i dont have an inverted hex screw driver. If anyone knows where i can get one (say canadian tire) i'd love to know as i hope to use the sega genesis during the super bowl party next sunday.

Things left in the build:
Open the sega genesis cartridge and mount the 2.5" Hdd inside of it
Design a way to hold the cartridge/hdd so it sits looking naturally in the sega genesis cartridge slot.
Wire up hdd LED
Put the power switch under the sega genesis reset switch
Get and wire up the sega genesis db9 to usb circuitry and put it into the controller 1 and 2 slots on the sega genesis.

As always feedback always appreciated.