Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2009, 09:56 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Project: Liquid7

Hi

This is going to be my first water cooling, always been wanting to try it out so here goes... it's going to be very simple single loop, just for the cpu, i might upgrade later on but didn't want to go crazy on my first watercooling rig =)

Main parts list:

* CPU - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz D0!
* MotherBoard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
* Memory - Kingston HyperX 6GB DDR3 2000 Triple Channel
* Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower
* Powersupply - Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850W
* Harddrive #1 - Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB SSD Gen2
* Harddrive #2 - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200RPM
* DVD Drive - Samsung SH-S243D SATA DVD
* Video Card - BFG Tech 8800 GTX

WaterCooling Parts:

* CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme Performance
* Reservoir - EK Waterblocks EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev. 2
* Pump - Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump Liquid Cooling System
* Radiator - Swiftech MCR320 "Quiet Power" Triple 120mm Radiator
* Tubing - PrimoFlex Pro LRT White Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD 10 Feet
* Fittings - Bitspower True Silver Compression Fittings and True Silver Barbs
* Fluids - Distilled Water

Thanks! Will update soon with more pics !
Old December 27, 2009, 10:02 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

some water cooling part pics...

Swiftech Radiator

Swiftech Pump

Primoflex White Tubings

Gentle Typhoons

Bitspower True Silver Compression Fittings

Bitspower True Silver Barbs

Bitspower True Silver Stops

Swiftech XT water block

some bent pins but i think overall not bad.. what do you guys think?
Old December 27, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

You are definitly on the right track using distiled water and silver, although, one of those true-silvers would be enough However, I would not have chosen the MCR320, or the Apogee XT. I am running an XT, and for the same price a Heatkiller 3.0 would have been much better. Not to mention Watercool (Heatkiller) has a much greater quality control. Look at your XT internals, not to be mean, or scare you, but they look like garbage, that machine looks like it was all over the place. Tsk tsk Swiftech and your quality control Honest truth though, there will be almost no effect on temps.

Although, I would not be happy with this:

Some people have reported mutilated XT blocks, and yours looks like it could join the club. Again, it probably isn't anything to worry about. Considering Swiftech rads are the beat "bang-for-your-buck" you did good there, but for a little more, you could have gotten much better.

I'm lovin' the Typhoons though!

Last edited by AmuseMe; December 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is that a Bitspower plastic tee that I see? Get rid of it and get a Koolance solid brass tee instead! Both of my plastic tees cracked and started leaking even though I tried not to overtorque the compression fittings into them. With the Koolance tee you will have a clearance problem with Bitspower compression fittings that can easily be overcome by filing away some of the Bitspower fitting. What I did was screw each compression fitting by itself into the Koolance tee, make sure it was fitted (torqued) properly. Then I marked the spot on the compression fitting where it will hit the other compression fitting when they are all screwed in properly. This will end up being on the main body of the compression fitting so you have to remove enough material so they do not touch each other. My fittings are all brass so it is easy to do with file, dremel, etc.

Attachment 8583

Attachment 8584

By the way, nice pics!

Last edited by stoanee; August 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
You are definitly on the right track using distiled water and silver, although, one of those true-silvers would be enough However, I would not have chosen the MCR320, or the Apogee XT. I am running an XT, and for the same price a Heatkiller 3.0 would have been much better. Not to mention Watercool (Heatkiller) has a much greater quality control. Look at your XT internals, not to be mean, or scare you, but they look like garbage, that machine looks like it was all over the place. Tsk tsk Swiftech and your quality control Honest truth though, there will be almost no effect on temps.

Some people have reported mutilated XT blocks, and yours looks like it could join the club. Again, it probably isn't anything to worry about. Considering Swiftech rads are the beat "bang-for-your-buck" you did good there, but for a little more, you could have gotten much better.

I'm lovin' the Typhoons though!
Thanks
hehe really i thought needed at least 4 true silvers? too late now lol
tried to straighten out the pins a bit but scared to scratch it or breaking a pin so best i could do..

but yea got a really good deal on this block from a friend of mine but earlier i was debating as well between this and the heatkillers but casue of the deal went with this one... also same goes with the swiftech rad that actually came bundled with my case so essentially got that one for free =)

but it's good to hear it won't affect performance.. but i agree would have liked it to be more "perfect" =)
Old December 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Is that a Bitspower plastic tee that I see? Get rid of it and get a Koolance solid brass tee instead! Both of my plastic tees cracked and started leaking even though I tried not to overtorque the compression fittings into them. With the Koolance tee you will have a clearance problem with Bitspower compression fittings that can easily be overcome by filing away some of the Bitspower fitting. What I did was screw each compression fitting by itself into the Koolance tee, make sure it was fitted (torqued) properly. Then I marked the spot on the compression fitting where it will hit the other compression fitting when they are all screwed in properly. This will end up being on the main body of the compression fitting so you have to remove enough material so they do not touch each other. My fittings are all brass so it is easy to do with file, dremel, etc.

Attachment 8583

Attachment 8584

By the way, nice pics!
oh crap really? hmm i'm using just barbs on those guys hopefully wont' crack! thanks for the heads up! will definitely have to keep an eye on this
Old December 27, 2009, 11:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

For the record, a couple bent bins is acceptable. Have you seen the size of those things? They are so freaking tiny.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post

I have never had a block come without bent pins they all come bent there made with a punch press
Old December 27, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I have never had a block come without bent pins they all come bent there made with a punch press
I dont think this block is made from a press, look at the edges, they are un-equal, and uneven all the way around.

But hey, it should be fine either way!
Old December 27, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Blocks are milled, are they not?