Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/)
-   -   sswilson's top mount rad + case window mod (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/2699-sswilsons-top-mount-rad-case-window-mod.html)

sswilson September 25, 2007 12:14 PM

sswilson's top mount rad + case window mod
 
Not sure how long this is going to take me to get to, but I'll post pics up during the different stages.

The plan is to mount a 320 rad on top of my Lian-Li case to replace my TT 745 WC loop, as well as adding top & side plexi with some UV led units for blacklight.

sswilson September 25, 2007 12:19 PM

Not the best picture I've ever taken, but it will have to do for now as I'm not going to unpack it all again..... :)

Everything except my extra smartcoil loop arrived safe and sound. Also in the pic at the back is one of the Mutant Mods windows kits I picked up.

The plexi windows are too small for what I want so I'm going to pick up a sheet at Kent or Home Hardware, but I needed the flush mount rubber gromet from the kit as I've been unable to find it anywhere outside of a kit for less than $5 / foot, and I'm not gonna pay that kind of money for it.... :)

magictorch September 25, 2007 12:20 PM

:
 
very nice, top plexi, is that a plexiglass window so you can look down into it? that would be interesting.

sswilson September 25, 2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch (Post 20579)
very nice, top plexi, is that a plexiglass window so you can look down into it? that would be interesting.

Yep, that's the plan...... :)

SKYMTL September 25, 2007 01:37 PM

Was it YOU who bought up all the Smartcoils from NCIX?

3.0charlie September 25, 2007 01:54 PM

That will be a very nice project. I did a top plexi once on a Thermaltake case. Not very difficult in itself; the major problem that I had (actually my customer's issue) was the location of the UV lights.

He didn't want them to be seen either from the side of the case, nor the top... too much glare. I had to locate them on both sides of the top and side plexis, with shrouds partially covering them.

That allowed the light to be directed exactly where he wanted, without the glare when looking inside the case with the lights on.

How will you mount the rad and fans on top? I want to do that setup on my next rig, but I want a clean design - no hardware or tubing showing. And I suck at fiberglass molding...

Let's see that worklog!

john

sswilson September 25, 2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 20590)
Was it YOU who bought up all the Smartcoils from NCIX?

Heh.... I only got one set..... :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 20595)
That will be a very nice project. I did a top plexi once on a Thermaltake case. Not very difficult in itself; the major problem that I had (actually my customer's issue) was the location of the UV lights.

He didn't want them to be seen either from the side of the case, nor the top... too much glare. I had to locate them on both sides of the top and side plexis, with shrouds partially covering them.

That allowed the light to be directed exactly where he wanted, without the glare when looking inside the case with the lights on.

How will you mount the rad and fans on top? I want to do that setup on my next rig, but I want a clean design - no hardware or tubing showing. And I suck at fiberglass molding...

Let's see that worklog!

john


I've got 4 of the small "5 led" lights ( Logisys 5 LED Laser Light UV 12V 4PINS M/F ) rather than the tube style. They don't put off as much light as the tubes, but they're small enough to place strategically, and I'm hoping that 4 will be enough for full coverage.

I'm not planning too big of a change from my original top mount install (first set of pics in the case thread).........


Biggest change is hanging the rad ports slightly over the back edge and running the hose in through the rear.

Because of the top plexi, I also can't use the aluminum posts I used originally (not sure on how much weight I'd be able to put on it) so I'm going to use bent stainless stock attached to case metal and the bottom fan screw points of the rad.

I'm hoping that having 10 of these mounting brackets will provide enough stability / strength to hold the rad.

This is still a WIP and aside from having the parts, the rest is in my head so we'll have to see if it works out as planned. :)

Supergrover September 25, 2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 20590)
Was it YOU who bought up all the Smartcoils from NCIX?

Yeah it was him:bleh: (Bastage):censored:


Sounds nice willy, looking forward to seeing it.:thumb:

sswilson September 25, 2007 05:29 PM

Heh.... just noticed the loop I drew up... something missing in that picture...... :)

Patriote September 25, 2007 05:55 PM

W00t! Nice sswilson! Time to get to work! Im looking forward for the finished pics :bleh:

BTW: Pretty damn nice! We have a worklog section! :biggrin:

EDIT: BTW someone forgot to move my old U2-UFO Worklog! :bleh:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM.