Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 10:40 AM
Banned
F@H

I use jumper betwen the 14 and 13 on your drawing... all true I guess you can short the 14 PS ON to any com.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys.

Yup - tried with all four CPUs in socket 0, tried with all 8 dimms in each of the four slots for socket 0. Tried two different known working PSUs, both of which have 2 x 8-pin CPU connectors natively, so power should not be an issue.

And yes, I sent a ticket into Tyan the moment I figured something outside of my own ignorance was at fault. I just felt like I wanted to confirm that good board, good PSU, dead everything else should still respond in some manner to the front panel ATX switch being tripped. And no, I don't think have dead everything else - just trying to figure out why the board is behaving in this horribly insolent manner.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 4, 2010, 10:49 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Thanks guys.

Yup - tried with all four CPUs in socket 0, tried with all 8 dimms in each of the four slots for socket 0. Tried two different known working PSUs, both of which have 2 x 8-pin CPU connectors natively, so power should not be an issue.

And yes, I sent a ticket into Tyan the moment I figured something outside of my own ignorance was at fault. I just felt like I wanted to confirm that good board, good PSU, dead everything else should still respond in some manner to the front panel ATX switch being tripped. And no, I don't think have dead everything else - just trying to figure out why the board is behaving in this horribly insolent manner.
Insolent manner indeed! lol... But in all seriousness: From what I've heard from various Supermicro and Tyan sales reps, it seems as if the quad-socket and above boards are always the most likely to develop problems, sometimes resulting boards dying prematurely or just never working at all. The reason I moved Behemoth to the "-SI" it because its a newer revision that hopefully has ironed out these issues, the "-E" is soon to be discontinued, if i'm not mistaken.
Old February 7, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tyan support has concluded that the board was DOA, and I should get back in touch with RMA. Since the board's so bloody huge, it cost me nearly $50 to ship it back to them last time, so this time I'm totally gonna angle for an account number and a cross-ship. Wish me luck!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 7, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

You have all rights to request them to pay for board return as they send you dead replacement. This is normal practice in such situation.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old February 7, 2010, 03:07 PM
HaDeS

good god Jim!

Next time use a PC speaker? Sorry I didn't read every word posted here. Speaker should beep with nothing plugged in... ram or cpu.
Old February 7, 2010, 04:43 PM
MVP

little disappointed with the case build. nice hardware in that thing though.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
little disappointed with the case build. nice hardware in that thing though.
For a motherboard of that size, what else can you do Any case that is designed for a SSI MEB form factor is very expensive ($1000+) Besides, the thing isn't for looks, he's more concerned about the usability of the system. A "sleeper" of sorts.

Although,when you seen 4 massive heat sinks on a motherboard, you know that isn't your every day computer!
Old February 7, 2010, 10:07 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkanto View Post
For a motherboard of that size, what else can you do Any case that is designed for a SSI MEB form factor is very expensive ($1000+) Besides, the thing isn't for looks, he's more concerned about the usability of the system. A "sleeper" of sorts.

Although,when you seen 4 massive heat sinks on a motherboard, you know that isn't your every day computer!

*cough* once again, CM Stacker 810 *cough*
Old February 7, 2010, 10:43 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkanto View Post
For a motherboard of that size, what else can you do Any case that is designed for a SSI MEB form factor is very expensive ($1000+) !
I know a guy that have a case that will fit perfectly that board

If DT or CM need a such case they just have to PM this guy they may have a huge surprise