Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2010, 10:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Cool build DT. From the look of some of the pictures I thought perhaps you were finally just going to hook your systems directly into your central furnance. Great job on the build, hope all the bugs get worked out soon. Let us know how it turns out.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:44 PM
Rookie

Great job on the build so far, hope that RMA comes thorough. I noticed that you (Dead Things) and CMetaphor stated that the S4985-E version would not be able to support Istanbul and only the -SI version would. Well curiosty got the best of me as it always does and I did some looking

According to the Tyan website page for the S4985-E,::Tyan Computer Corporation:: System Boards SKU detail, under Supported CPU Series, it says,"Can run HT3 link CPU's only at HT1 speed".

Also, on the bios page,::Tyan Computer Corporation:: Support Download(BIOS)there was a bios release back in August that stated, Note: Bios v3.00 only supports Shanghai and Istanbul CPU’s. If you have Barcelona based CPU’s, you will only be able to use up to v2.07"

So all is not lost for running Istanbul's in the future. I'm not for certain what overall impact running them at the lower HyperTrasport bus speed would be. However with the new HT Assist feature on them, it doesn't seem to be a problem according to this AMD Dev blog, HT Assist - what is it? P.S. Notice that their comparing the speed boost with your particuar motherboard version
Old February 3, 2010, 10:35 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

There are some possible Shanghai's I've heard of that can run on the -E version, but no Istanbul's AFAIK. even then, It was my belief that only the HT1 Shanghais would gun on the -E version... interesting information indeed.

Benefit of HT3? Huge IMHO. Behemoth can now game @ 1900x1200 with a GTX285 using istanbuls and HT3 when before using Barcelonas and HT1 it could not. Its more than just the HT being better of course, since istanbul is newer, but the difference was very significant for me.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just a quick note. Got the mobo back from Tyan RMA yesterday.

In a SuperMicro box!

I thought that was silly.

What I have found to be less silly and more frustrating is the fact that the replacement board won't even power on let alone POST. Attached fans don't even budge.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that when the old board died, it also killed all of my CPUs and RAM. If I'm trying to start up the new board with dead RAM and CPUs, it should at least power up, right? The fans should at least wiggle a bit, right?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 4, 2010, 09:16 AM
Banned
F@H

You know , when you first post your project, I was very much interested to do so , I even go Ebay check the CPU.. But this board... I have bad feeling about it.. do you have the same one CM ? what stop me to get the plunge is the choice of board.. what a pain to unmount 4 CPu cooler to return a board... I rise my hat to your calm.... you will have ear from me believe it.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

@MarkOne: I have the newer revision denoted with "-SI" instead of "-E" at the end.

@Dead_things: Your luck is really... not so great. I'm assuming you tried 1 CPU, in the CPU 0 socket, with on stick of ram first? Either way, call Tyan tech support - they've always been very helpful and informative for me.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:29 AM
Banned
F@H

are those CPu have to be in the same batch as with the Xeon ( at least the Xeon I own )
Old February 4, 2010, 09:36 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
are those CPu have to be in the same batch as with the Xeon ( at least the Xeon I own )
I Believe so. But to be honest, I've never tried ones that weren't matched, I always buy 4 matched at once (and I think dead_things did too).
Old February 4, 2010, 09:37 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Just a quick note. Got the mobo back from Tyan RMA yesterday.
it also killed all of my CPUs and RAM. If I'm trying to start up the new board with dead RAM and CPUs, it should at least power up, right? The fans should at least wiggle a bit, right?

Do you hard reset the BIOS , they may have test this board with other CPu than you have and forget to reset it before send it to you .... still don't explain why the fan will not turn... unless. do you try it with an other PSU, I really hope you will say no.. sound stupid , but when we are frustrated ..things happen
Old February 4, 2010, 11:29 AM
Rookie

Is the power supply fan kicking in when you short the power pins on the motherboard?

Did you try powering on your power supply without being connected to the motherboard?

2 pins by the connector hook, normally a green and black wire from what I remember.
(Make sure to have something connected, like a DVD drive.)

Just trying to rule out anything

Last edited by blackkanto; February 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Just realized that for a 20-pin, but it should be the same colors and location on a 24-pin. :)