Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post

Well after just a few days, the board refuses to POST, halting at the initialization code FF regardless of which CPU, RAM or PSU is installed. So sadly, to Tyan RMA it must go. Hopefully the replacement board will work for a little longer than the original one. Will update this thread upon receipt of the replacement board.

Thats odd. Our setups a quite similar save for the PSUs and CPUs. Are you sure it isnt a power issue? most server boards I've seen recommend a "minimum 1200w for stability". Perhaps your 1000w PSU wasn't up to the task? I've found that boards like ours stress the less-used rails far more than a normal system...

Anyways, god luck with the RMA but i doubt it will be an issue. Tyan's support has always been top-notch for me.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Are you sure it isnt a power issue?
It was working fine with this exact configuration for a few weeks. I have been in contact with Tyan support who have been helping me troubleshoot the issue, and at their behest I even tried a dual-PSU setup by daisy-chaining a pair of 1000W PSUs (the Corsair HX1000 and the Antec TP Quattro), but even that was to no avail. Considering all the tests we went through, Tyan finally said this:

Since the board is giving an FF POST code with multiple different CPUs and power supplies with the board outside of it's chassis it most likely is a failed motherboard.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
MVP

so, they're going to be sending out a replacement?I've been contemplating (funds permitting, etc) getting something like a dual quad for rendering starting next semester for college, could you or CMetaphor maybe PM me with a decent, inexpensive full dual quad setup?
Old January 13, 2010, 12:46 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

sorry to hear it dead_things, but at least it lasted longer than behemoth's first supermicro board, hehe.

@dragoonxx: Whats your budget? Despite dead_things' experience i'd still go with a Tyan motherboard any day over a supermicro.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:55 PM
MVP

budget...as inexpensive as possible, lol (probable absolute high would be ~1100)
and Im fine with getting lightly used/abused parts for most of it if that would help actually fit into that range

Last edited by dragoonxx; January 13, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
Im fine with getting lightly used/abused parts for most of it if that would help actually fit into that range
You would have to. Leviathan probably would have cost somewhere in the range of $5000 to $7000 if all of the parts were bought new. And don't even ask what Behemoth Pt. 2 would have cost! Honestly, I got lucky with being able to build Leviathan for the price that I did - it was all about fortuitous timing. So start watching ebay for good deals on quadcore Opterons and Registered DDR2 RAM. Dual-socket 1207 boards can be had relatively affordably from Newegg. Your budget rules out dual-socket 1366 at this time, even if utilizing the second-hand market. As for dual-socket 771, used prices may be dropping on that platform pretty rapidly now. If that's not the case yet, then it's over your budget too.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 13, 2010, 01:48 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
You would have to. Leviathan probably would have cost somewhere in the range of $5000 to $7000 if all of the parts were bought new. And don't even ask what Behemoth Pt. 2 would have cost! Honestly, I got lucky with being able to build Leviathan for the price that I did - it was all about fortuitous timing. So start watching ebay for good deals on quadcore Opterons and Registered DDR2 RAM. Dual-socket 1207 boards can be had relatively affordably from Newegg. Your budget rules out dual-socket 1366 at this time, even if utilizing the second-hand market. As for dual-socket 771, used prices may be dropping on that platform pretty rapidly now. If that's not the case yet, then it's over your budget too.
I agree with dead_things, ebay is the way to go for the CPUs especially. But for the motherboard make sure you buy retail. As you can tell from my and dead_things' issues: the more sockets, the more complex, the more chances for failure, lol.

And FYI. Behemoth 2.0 would've cost in the area of $12,000.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:49 PM
MVP

Ill keep looking, see what happens by june-july, even some base ideas would be a good start point for me
Old January 13, 2010, 01:50 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
Ill keep looking, see what happens by june-july, even some base ideas would be a good start point for me
Start a thread, as so we don't further jack Dead_things' great buildlog here, lol.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
MVP

that is kinda why I had said PM...lol