Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

That could be interesting to figure out water cooling layout for such a beast!
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old December 17, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Should have gone with Ziz cause now you're gonna need a lot of water cooling... I mean, it is Leviathan.
Excellent point! Clearly I should have put more thought into it.

Each of the CPUs has a rated TDP of 95W. So using the onboard video, I would expect full folding load to be in the neighbourhood of 600 to 650W from the wall, accounting for PSU efficiency. That's a total guess though - I'll update once I know more about this.

And to CMetaphor - ghetto test bench vs. modded case... I did briefly consider using an EATX case with a top-mounted PSU, then modding it to relocate the PSU elsewhere and using the vacated PSU space for the board. I do have an empty Antec Titan which would have fit the bill nicely. But in the end, I thought building the test bench would be more fun and likely less frustrating overall.

Finally regarding watercooling... I have two other watercooling builds that I have to do still, and frankly I'm feeling a little watercooled-out, if you know what I mean. Plus, this will be my first ever multi-socket build, so I think the KISS principle is probably a good formula for success here.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 17, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm... having said that, I do have almost everything I would need to watercool this. Would just need two more cheapo Apogee GT's. Since that would be consistent with the "affordability" goal of the project, I might consider that for a Phase 2.

I've already got two MCR220's, an Apogee Drive, an Apogee GT and a MCRES-Micro. You guys have got me thinking...

Old December 17, 2009, 01:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks like an awesome beast. You'll have a sexy task manager.
Old December 17, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

holy crap very cool looking forward to seeing this monster come to life
Old December 17, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

excuse my ignorance, but what are the two black slots between the CPU sockets?

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old December 17, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Does GT come with AMD hold down plate? Yah, have to admit 4-way watercooled system project is subject of envy for me.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old December 17, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Curiosity != ignorance my friend.

There is a daughter board one can buy for this board for a total of up to eight physical CPU sockets. It's the Tyan M4985. Problem with it, though, is that it is relatively rare, which has driven up the price of it. As such, the daughter board is nearly twice the price of the motherboard. And since it's expensive, it has no business being associated with Leviathan.

So those two black slots in and among the CPU sockets are the HyperTransport (v1.0) connectors to connect the daughter board. Suffice to say, I won't be using them!

Old December 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Does GT come with AMD hold down plate? Yah, have to admit 4-way watercooled system project is subject of envy for me.
it's a subject of envy for every water cooling fan can't wait to see some benchs holy
Old December 17, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Here's a pic of the hold-down plate:

See the holes at the both tips (i.e., directly below the Swiftech logo)? Those are for mounting on S758/S939/S940 mobos. Generally speaking, this mounting is also compatible with Socket F/1207, depending on pitch. I'll check it out tonight with my spare GT and let you know for sure.