Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
Trial Member

Nice build. I just put a S4985 together with four 8347 Opterons (1.9 GHz) which cost me about $30 each on Ebay. Total cost for the entire build was under $600 and the wPrime 1024M score is 212 seconds.

Pictures of the build are here:
Building a 4-cpu, quad-core (16 cores) supercomputer | Facebook
Old August 7, 2010, 01:49 AM
MVP

yeah I've got 4 8347s also, my total (with having to send back first batch of ram and get new ram) is about 1200...only used parts are case, procs and GPU (recycle from my current sys when i move it over to the family comp)
Old August 7, 2010, 09:53 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hmmm, all these new people making quadquad boxes makes me wonder what I should be doing with my "leftovers" from Behemoth... IE 4x 8354s, haha. I might just have to defend my "Quadfather" nickname and build a second one. lol... Either that, or they'll be going up for sale soon.
Old August 7, 2010, 01:50 PM
MVP

why not build a second one? lol
Old August 7, 2010, 07:26 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
why not build a second one? lol
The primary reason? Don't have quite enough cash for yet another project like this... But i really wish I did.
Actually, the biggest reason is that I don'twant to have to deal with another SSI MEB motherboard like the ones in Behemoth/Leviathan. I've been trying to see if i can get my hands on a refurbished Supermicro ATX quad-socket, but I haven't had any luck thus far...

Oh. And this is really feeling like a thread-jack now. Ill shut up
Old August 9, 2010, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
good thing too DT...I'm sending my first batch of ram back to newegg (long story) then after I get the refund, its order replacement ram and baby steps mine back up
What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Hmmm, all these new people making quadquad boxes makes me wonder what I should be doing with my "leftovers" from Behemoth... IE 4x 8354s, haha. I might just have to defend my "Quadfather" nickname and build a second one. lol... Either that, or they'll be going up for sale soon.
You should build 3 more, so you can be the Quad GrandFather.
Old August 9, 2010, 01:54 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
You should build 3 more, so you can be the Quad GrandFather.
Actually i was thinking along the lines of two octal boxes for file servers (one for me and one for my brother). the problem is finding a reliable inexpensive dual-1207 board that actually supports the 8xxx series procs, because for some reason, many of them don't (at least thus far).

Again, i feel like im threadjacking. Dead_things, please return to us and tell me to stfu on your thread
Old October 17, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CM, my threads do so enjoy your little interludes. I know because they tell me. So please feel free to indulge whenever the mood strikes you!

I'm posting back in my ol' Leviathan thread to provide an update as well as some additional information to others who may be considering a build with the Tyan S4985. There are four important points I'd like to make...

1.) The vanilla S4985 is on sale again at newegg.ca for $299.99 - $50 less than I paid for it last year: Newegg.ca - TYAN S4985G3NR Thunder n4250QE Quad 1207(F) NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 + 2050 SSI MEB footprint Four AMD Opteron (Rev. F) 8000 series (dual/quad-core) processors Server Motherboard. That's one hell of a bargain for a quad-socket board if you ask me.

2.) I used to have a build in a Coolermaster HAF 932. As you know, it's a pretty big case - so when I axed that build I thought to myself - I wonder if I can fit Leviathan in here? With only the bare minimum of modding (i.e., folding down a couple mobo tray flaps up top and swapping out the top fan for a pair of 120mm fans), the HAF is now comfortably home to Leviathan - although I will admit it's a pretty tight fit.

3.) In March, Tyan released a BIOS update for the considerably more expensive S4985-SI board, which has the higher HT3 clock making it suitable for Shanghai and Istanbul processors, whereas the vanilla S4985 can only accommodate Barcelona processors with its HT1 clock. As it turns out, this BIOS update is fully compatible with the vanilla S4985 board - so if you flash the S4985 with BIOS version 3.02, you can turn it into a S4985-SI, making it compatible with Shanghai and Istanbul processors, because the HT can now clock higher than 1000MHz.

4.) Now that the HT clock can exceed 1000MHz on the S4985, it is also now overclockable. You will need an old version of ntune compatible with nforce4 Pro chipsets - I use ntune 3.0. You can use this to adjust the HT clock, which is linked to the base clock, so - as a result - it will overclock both your processors and your RAM. It's a software overclock, which means you need to re-apply it with every boot, and it also means system votlages are unadjustable. Nonetheless, I have managed to score a modest overclock with my Opteron 8356's, from 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz stable.

So in sum, the S4985 is now cheaper than ever, can fit into a case that you probably have already, can be turned into a much more expensive board that is compatible with faster Shanghai and Istabul processors, and is overclockable.

Nice.

edit - But take note of the special warranty terms of this board through Newegg: 30 days! So make sure you've got everything ready to test it and burn it in as soon as it arrives - because if it goes kaput after those 30 days are up, Tyan's out-of-warranty repair fees are not friendly.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!

Last edited by Dead Things; October 22, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old November 15, 2010, 01:39 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post

3.) In March, Tyan released a BIOS update for the considerably more expensive S4985-SI board, which has the higher HT3 clock making it suitable for Shanghai and Istanbul processors, whereas the vanilla S4985 can only accommodate Barcelona processors with its HT1 clock. As it turns out, this BIOS update is fully compatible with the vanilla S4985 board - so if you flash the S4985 with BIOS version 3.02, you can turn it into a S4985-SI, making it compatible with Shanghai and Istanbul processors, because the HT can now clock higher than 1000MHz.
Sounds good in theory. But is there anybody, who has tested this intensively? I cannot imagine, that there ist no electrical difference between the Board for HT3 (4985 SI) and HT1 (4985 Standard). At least I would assume, that the performance ist not the same.
Old November 15, 2010, 05:55 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I would also be extremely cautious about ocing on that board dead_things. If i remember the -SI boards also had a different power setup that allowed for the 6 core opterons with HT3 to be used...

That being said, if it is stable i may just try it with behemoth.... the thought scares me, lol.