Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2010, 11:24 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
The -E version only supports Barcelona opterons and Shanghai Opterons with a 1000Mhz HT1 link. The -SI version supports all Opterons (Barcelona, Shanghai, Istanbul) including those with a 2200Mhz or higher HT3 link.
Those processors and mobo is out of the cheap build price range. Maybe in 2-3 years the SI will be $300 on newegg, and the Istanbuls will be $50 on ebay.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Hey, I got a similar problem with my S4985.
It shows 45, 87, 28, 2A, then 2C, and then it shuts off.
I have 4x CPUs 8456's on it, and i'm using a 1600w PSU.

When I tried it with 1x CPU, it worked!
But with 4x, no luck.

There is only 1, 8 pin on my PSU, so I had to buy a cable that converts 4 pin into a 8 pin.
I just ordered 6 pin pci-e to 8 pin 12v converter, so hopefully this works, or i'm getting a new PSU.

My problem is discussed extensively in this thread here:

AMDZone.com • View topic - Ran my S4985 for the first time. Didn't work.

If anyone tell me what those numbers mean, I would appreciate it.

To the thread starter, have you gotten the new board?
Old May 1, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Talking Leviathan

Looking forward to this machine!!! Happy building.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4985man View Post
Hey, I got a similar problem with my S4985.
It shows 45, 87, 28, 2A, then 2C, and then it shuts off.
I have 4x CPUs 8456's on it, and i'm using a 1600w PSU.

When I tried it with 1x CPU, it worked!
But with 4x, no luck.

There is only 1, 8 pin on my PSU, so I had to buy a cable that converts 4 pin into a 8 pin.
I just ordered 6 pin pci-e to 8 pin 12v converter, so hopefully this works, or i'm getting a new PSU.

My problem is discussed extensively in this thread here:

AMDZone.com • View topic - Ran my S4985 for the first time. Didn't work.

If anyone tell me what those numbers mean, I would appreciate it.

Those numbers are post errors only. Look in your user manual it states what each are. Mine runs on 2P.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post368429

Try resting your bios, if you haven't already
Old June 8, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4985man View Post
Been a long time since I've checked in on this thread. Quick update on status...

TYAN finally, after many tersely-worded emails, agreed to provide me with an account number for return shipping. The board has since been RMA'd and a replacement received.

However, since the board has been received, I have had to put Leviathan on hold while I renovated my house, sold it, bought a new one, and renovated it. It's been a long process, but I think I am probably a month or less away from the renovations being completed on the new home.

So, my expectation is that I'll be able to turn my attention back to Leviathan mid-summer.

In the meantime, I have had to satisfy my multisocket needs with a dual-E5530 build using this board: Newegg.ca - ASUS Z8NA-D6 (ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX Dual Intel Xeon 5500 and 5600 Series Server Motherboard. The ATX form factor was a most-welcome change compared to Leviathan, and I might also add that the build was overall much easier and less problematic from the start. Performance is not quite in the same league as Leviathan, but it is a reasonable approximation nonetheless. Definitely a nice introductory platform for multi-socket computing based on its ease of implementation. There's also a -C version of the board I linked to for $40 less that does not include all of the SAS headers.

Follow my benching, folding, mining and miscellaneous shenanigans @dt_oc
Old July 22, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Renos are complete, and I'm piecing Leviathan back together now. Should have it all put together by the end of the weekend. For starters, though, I am happy to report that board #3 POSTs with one CPU installed! Baby steps...

Follow my benching, folding, mining and miscellaneous shenanigans @dt_oc
Old July 22, 2010, 12:25 PM
Allstar

good thing too DT...I'm sending my first batch of ram back to newegg (long story) then after I get the refund, its order replacement ram and baby steps mine back up
Old August 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
Allstar

there is one thing that is interesting me...if there are any actual hardware differences between the S4985, the 4985-E and 4985-SI, providing there arn't any large hardware differences, one should (in theory) be able to reflash to an -SI BIOS and unlock its potential
Old August 6, 2010, 12:34 PM
Quadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
there is one thing that is interesting me...if there are any actual hardware differences between the S4985, the 4985-E and 4985-SI, providing there arn't any large hardware differences, one should (in theory) be able to reflash to an -SI BIOS and unlock its potential
I looked into that when doing my own quad box. However i think there are actual eletrical difference within the board and power section which have some differences. Also, I believe that no matter when, a -E cannot support any CPUs with HT3. I may be remembering wrong tho, lol.
Old August 6, 2010, 12:56 PM
Allstar

seems like it's a question for the tyan techs...and off I go