Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/)
-   -   Apollish VX-R (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/26611-apollish-vx-r.html)

Syx005 December 15, 2009 04:27 PM

Apollish VX-R

8 Attachment(s)
And so it ends. I'm almost sad that my new rig is finally completed. All the hours of research in reviews, the price watching, checking specs, waiting for new components..... so it has all come to this. I'm pretty proud of this build, as I'm sure most/all of you are with a new build. Please note one thing though: the pictures here do not do this case justice whatsoever. Check the system specs for details if you're interested.

In any case, I saw these silver Apollish fans and couldn't do without them. They are so effin quiet it's unbelievable. Those and the case were the first parts chosen for this build. With the limited selection of 790FX Motherboards, I went with the gigabyte one. The memory I picked up compliments this board very well as it is also a metallic blue, looks pretty cool as that color surrounds the processor on 3 sides. The power supply was such a wicked deal on NCIX I couldn't pass it up, and hey, doesn't look all that bad either. The cables that came with it are soooooooo stiff, it made the cable management a bit tricky, but I think I didn't do too bad.

The only major problem I encountered with this build was that the H50 would not fit in the VX-R case. You have no idea how pissed I was to find that out. Let's just say I think my dog may be able to recite multiple expletives as he was the one that came to check on what the yelling was all about. :haha: Then it was decided. Out came the Dremel. 45 mins later and pissing off my girlfriend (it was after midnight), I had the problem tackled, and in went the cooler. The reduction in temps made it well worth while (the Arctic Silver 5 probably helped a bit too).

Here's the pics - let me know what you think!

headsh0t December 15, 2009 04:41 PM

Why is your GPU in the bottom slot? And those fans better be quiet for the price they sell for lol. Damn bright too. And ya, I just put my h50 in yesterday and loving the temps on my i5. Now it's time for me to ramp it up to 4ghz. What did you have to cut with the dremel to make the h50 fan/rad fit in there? It also seems like your HDD is sticking out quite far? Maybe it's cause I'm used to my HDDs sitting the other way. And ya I'm not a big fan of the front bezel of that case haha. You should use your dremel and cut out a hole at the top of the motherboard tray (and the bottom I guess cause I dont see one down there) for your 8pin cpu connector. Nice system though.

Syx005 December 15, 2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 302408)
Why is your GPU in the bottom slot?

The 5850 was really throwing a lot of heat onto the radiator of the H50 cooler, dropped it down just to keep it away (eventually there will be a second one in there anyways....)

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 302408)
What did you have to cut with the dremel to make the h50 fan/rad fit in there?

There is a reservoir that sticks out on the top and bottom of the rad. They stick out past where a 120mm fan would end, and this case puts the fan extremely close to the top of the case, leaving no room for the reservoir. I had to move the screw holes down about 1cm and slightly to the left to make it fit. The reason the fan is so high is because in the back of this case, there are pre-drilled water cooling holes which take up some extra space.

Also, I thought of drilling the holes for the 8-pin connector, but my excitement to get this up and running prevented me from doing so. There are no top or bottom holes in the mobo tray, so I'll have to drill both. Sometime after Christmas this will be my project.

aviduser December 16, 2009 06:35 PM

Looks similiar to my first build, I probably had mine completely apart every 2 weeks till I was happy with it. Then got bored of it and switched cases/went to water cooling.

Nice little rig you got their, the case doesnt look half bad for being a lower end mid tower. Good job!