Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2009, 09:46 PM
Rookie

Default Project Gorro

Welcome to my Worklog..... Project Gorro…..

Here's a little back story about where the name Gorro came from. The first system I ever built was a 386/25, it had a 20meg harddrive, 2 megs of ram and a ISA video card that rocked out with 256kb VRAM. Attached to this beast was a 14" Samtron monitor displaying a crisp 640x480 VGA image that would give be a headache after 5 minutes of playing MOO. The machine was a constant battle between drive space and freeing up base ram, but I still loved every minute of it and spent much of my time as a kid working on my tan in front of that computer. I blame that “GORRO” machine for launching my lifelong obsession with computers, programming and technology in general. This new build is dedicated to that ancient machine.

All the parts have been ordered and prepped I just need to get busy and piece it altogether. There’s some issues getting the XFX 5870's in but I think they'll be here soon. Right now I have a rough idea of what I want but we'll see where the build takes me, I may change some things as I go. I usually look for components that offer the greatest price performance but this time around I threw all common sense out the window and constructed this beast.

Sit back and enjoy the building of The Gorro.

Parts were ordered from the following Vendors. I would personally recommend anyone of them.
NCIX, EKwb, Performance PC’s, Sidewinder computers, Murdermods, MNPCTECH, Newegg

THE Guts of THE Gorro
Motherboard - EVGA X58 Classified
Ram - GSkill tridents DDR3-2000 CL9-9-9-24 12Gigs worth
Proc - i7-920 D0
Drives
- Intel Pottsville SSD 80gig
- Western Digital Velociraptor 2x300gb raid0
Power supply - Antec quattro 1000
Displays
- Samsung 2x 24" 240THD
- Samsung 2443BW-HAS 24”
Sound card - Auzentech Prelude 7.1
Case - Corsair 800D obsidian

Water cooling parts
Reservoir - 2X EK 250ml
Radiator
- TFC 360
- TFC 240
- 140mm hardware labs
Pumps
- 2X Swiftech MCP655
- 2X EK pump blocks
- 2X Undesign brackets
CPU Block -Heatkiller
Mobo Block -EK classified
Video card blocks - EK 2 X 5870 nickel and acetal
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Professional
Video Cards 2 XFX 5870 XXX 1GB

Here are some of the parts going into Gorro, excuse my crappy pictures my photography skills and Camera are lacking

Here is an overview of what I plan on doing and how the air flow will work. There will be 2 loops, one for the cpu/mobo and another for the video cards. The cpu and mobo loop will be attached to the Feser 360 with 3 Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM. (At no point do I plan on this to be a quiet build... Gorro's is to be loud as F***) The video cards will be cooled by the hardware labs 140mm and the Feser 240. There are Three Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM fans on the bottom of the case blowing in cold air. I cut a 120mm hole in the bottom so each fan has free access to outside air. Of course this isn't an ideal layout with the Feser 240 exhausting back into the case but oh well may be a good excuse to build GORRO ][

EKwb mobo block + Heatkiller block + EVGA board = one sexy beast

Gotta love bitspower fittings...

I was so impressed with EK's produces I decided to go all out and get their pump tops. The un design brackets also came in handy. I would recommend them for anyone looking for added flexibility in pump placement.

I cut a 120mm hole in the bottom of the powersupply and added a basic grill, the idea is for air to come up from the bottom of the case into and out the back of the PS. The corsair case is designed for power supplies with fans on the bottom (like the corsair HX1000) I needed a unit that was a little more stout than what corsair offered so I could fit the 3 120mm fans. I decided to go with a Antec solution having used their 850 model for years with no problems I was confident with their quality. I really wanted to fit a slim 120mm fan where that 120mm grill is but didn't have enough room without doing some major modding to both the PS and the case. Sleeveing the cables right into the PS case up to the circuit board sounded like a good idea at first... But because of the increased diameter in the wires there wasn’t enough room in the PS to place the cover back on. Doing so was a little rough I had to bend the side tab a bit to fit it on. At one point I was certain I can busted the whole thing… but everything is alright a little more banged up than I wished but it all works.

A sad sight... 2 Lonely water blocks with no video cards to be with.

This was my first hardware labs product and I can say I’m hugely impressed with the quality and price. you can also see what i'm planning on doing with the reservoirs, originally I was going to place them vertically but there isn't enough room with the huge 38MM thick Scythe fans and the Feser rad.

MNPCTECH makes some nice gear

As it stands now the much of the project is on hold as I wait for the video cards. The cards should be in tomorrow though so I can most likely get the majority of the build done this week. I also have upgraded my Camera to a Cannon Rebel so the pics from here on in will be better than what I have done thus far.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ho, Ly, Shit. I can't believe it. If you're running 2x5870's on just that double rad and a 140? lol If you're getting an awesome build like this, just get a triple rad for 'em. Or even better, why not 5970's? XD I kid, I kid.

It looks real, real sexy so far. Honestly youre making me drool. I want a w/c setup so badly, I'd kill a man. I'm so close...so close.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old December 14, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow great looking build
Old December 14, 2009, 11:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think i saw a dam good coffee mug in one of those shots, also project looks great
Old December 15, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

I like it! If you really want overkill you should get a Mo-Ra 2 Pro with nine Ultra Kazes'!
Old December 15, 2009, 10:22 AM
Rookie

Finally the video cards are in...

More to come......
Old December 15, 2009, 11:50 AM
Rookie

Good think you included the mickey of Sailor Jerry in the picture of your motherboard so we could get a sense of scale.

( ',')b
Old December 15, 2009, 11:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature6pk View Post
Good think you included the mickey of Sailor Jerry in the picture of your motherboard so we could get a sense of scale.

( ',')b
Sailor Jerry was the sponsor of the build....
Old December 16, 2009, 06:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Been a while since I've seen a build that got my interest so fully. I look forward to seeing the rest of the process and the finished product. I agree, those fittings are really nice and I like the cannisters for the liquid. What colour are you planning on? I daresay that that rig looks like it would go well with a NON-neon coloured liquid.

Good work so far and thanks for the pics!

Morning_Canuck :)
Old December 16, 2009, 09:26 AM
Rookie

Thanks Surfer_2099,

I'm planning on plain distilled water as coolant with 2 colours of tubing, Black for the cpu and red for the video cards. As for colour of lights i'm going with red and white.