Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2007, 10:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, I have had a MAJOR design flaw. Because of my new board the optical drives are to far away. getting longer cable would be a quick fix. however I am causing a loss in performance if I do. So this means the fallowing changes will most likely take place.

the original design for the drive placement is going out the window.
I will be having one DVD-RW in SATA. the drive will be located several inches below the current location. the floppy drive will be located inside the case itself, so it will not be accessible outside the case. the floppy is only used in special cases so theres no reason for me to modify a new slot for it.

Diamond plate will still be used in the front, only I am changing how it mounts... I plan on having it a glossy black so it will work well with the polished aluminum around the corners and sides. the Arctic fan I had on the other aluminum plate will also be used but it shall be located a few inches higher. so near around the center.

I maybe missing some other details but surely I'll explain them as I go about it. the build pace is going to slow down so I can spend more attention to the small details.
Old October 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok i'm officially and idiot. making all these changes will result in me being able to use my IDE optical drives. seems I need to do some more thinking. Ignore most of what I wrote...lol
Old October 15, 2007, 09:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I got bored in class and decided to draw some concept ideas since I am going to be modifying the front of the case. Pick and nick at them. suggestions are wanted at this time.

Idea number 1

Idea number 2 and 3

Idea number 4

this is a concept for around the front fan.
Old October 15, 2007, 10:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

Great work!
I see you didnt have it all planed out when you started, just thinking and making up ideas as you go along?

Old October 15, 2007, 01:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

oh I had a full plan with CAD drawings. It was the minor details that screwed me.
Old October 16, 2007, 07:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Made the adjustments for the new board.

A test fit was in order. And as you can see my 18in IDE cable is a little short.

Here is another mcguyver moment for you.

Working on a new idea for the front.

And the drives fit well.

Old October 17, 2007, 11:49 PM
MVP

Interesting project you have going there...looking forward to more news....
Old October 17, 2007, 11:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Love the first picture!!!

I usually don't get the mallet out until after a particular piece of hardware starts P###ing me off, not before........ :)

This is really turning into an interesting project (not that it wasn't at the start), I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 18, 2007, 01:04 AM
Allstar

I'm assuming this isn't a LAN computer ;)
Old October 18, 2007, 08:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Love the first picture!!!

I usually don't get the mallet out until after a particular piece of hardware starts P###ing me off, not before........ :)

This is really turning into an interesting project (not that it wasn't at the start), I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks, good feed back is given me awesome motivation. The mallet is a very fun tool... but thats my small mallet for small chisel work such as the notch I had to cut out. just wait, i'll show you my homemade BRUTE of a mallet.

And yes this will be a LAN machine... I built this one with the intent of making it portable, not like my last machine which needed two people to move it around my room.

Heres some more pics.

Oh, if you remember I was having an issue with IDE length. and I was considering switching everything to SATA or just simple modifying the case. Well SATA went out the window. I never had any big excuse why I would want to switch to it. IDE can come in the length I want however it has a performance problem... well I've come to the conclusion it's not a big deal to me.. I'm patient enough.
However I did try and see what I could do about changing the case. first I thought about changing the drive location. But that conflicts with my HDD's and my supports I built for the drives are well... ALL most indestructible. I built and installed them TOO DAMN WELL. so forget that. Then there was the option of changing the position of the board itself. well before I got started on that I mapped out it's location... and as you can see... I STILL NEED LONGER CABLE... oh well, she will still look awesome.

Fan controller has it's new home.

And now the front fan and it's officially glued to the case.