Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2007, 09:23 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Use a fillport for a clean look? http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...minorcatid=226
Old September 26, 2007, 10:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

why spend 15$ plus shipping when i can spend 4$ at crappy tire or Home Depot.
Old September 27, 2007, 07:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I went out and bought some supplies last night.
Paint, Tubing, Wire Cover, and Wire meshing.

I figure the wire meshing would be perfect as grill material.

Heres the supplies

OK, heres the experimental grill.. PLEASE give me your thoughts. Note* i wana paint it black and thinking of having it side ways so it looks more like a diamond pattern.

Old September 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Right now, it looks like too much to chicken wire. Put it sideways to ressemble a diamond pattern and paint it black, like you stated. Then we'll see how it really looks like. Will you paint the heater core black too?
Old September 27, 2007, 08:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Sadly, thats the smallest quantity of chicken wire I could get. I painted the wire black and it looks pretty good... I don't think I'll put it sideways.

I like your idea of painting the heater core. It never really crossed my mind. but then again I don't really want to do that because the paint will act like an isolator and will prevent the core from removing the heat as efficient.
Old September 27, 2007, 09:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I have fixed my fill port problem.

Decided to fill her up and do a second 24hr leak test... better make sure.

Old September 28, 2007, 04:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sure there are paints that are made for heater cores - think about the automotive industry. I think it should not impact the heat transfer.

All I can say about that fillport... that's what I call heavy duty! Are the 2 top-most barbs leak-checked too?

John
Old September 28, 2007, 07:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yea I was thinking the same thing earlier. However theres 2 sides to that coin of thought. The paint may not only be used for looks but to take away some of the heat transfer from there rads. Make it easier for your vehicle to get up to it's optimal temperature. Just a theory of mine. Not saying thats how it is but you never know. Time to take a visit to crappy tire i guess.

Yea, that fill port is pretty heavy duty, but it's spare parts. So may as well use them up rather then spending more money. gives my case a more industrial look.

The 4 barbs on the top have been tested. I plugged all the barbs originally during my first test and pumped water to the top using a hand water pump. So i know it's leak proof there... However the coolant will not be filled to the top so my main concern is not there anyways.

Hopefully tonight I can finish up the cooling area so I can start some prep work. Projects going on longer then I wanted it to.
Old September 28, 2007, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... looks great!!!!

I still want to see a total weight when you're done though..... Looks like it's going to be something you could set out in public unattended and dare people to try to lug it away.......... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 28, 2007, 08:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

if it weighs that much I will be considering that..lol