Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 07:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cool Your Jets

Alright, as many of you know i am stuck in a dorm room folding with uncontrollable baseboard heating and i'm looking at possible solutions to this that doesn't involve tampering with the baseboard or having my window wide open all day (makes me cold sometimes). All this so i can 24/7 and not have a warm room.

This had lead me to the following idea. I plan on running some air condition (or dryer) ducting from my window to my tower case. I have a few questions about this though:
1. How do i prevent serious moisture from entering my pc (aka rain or snow as it blows into my window sometimes). I was thinking that the fact that its not going to be straight from the window to the case that any upperward bends should prevent this.

2. Air filter. I am probably going to go with pantyhose to prevent any outside air particles (dust and crap) from getting into my pc through the ducting by putting it over the opening at the window however is there any other possible alternatives as well.

3. Where should i put it? Now i'm not sure if it would be better to have the ducting go to the input fan on the side of my case (as it would only hit the gpus) or if i should put it at the front where it'll more likely be blown against the ram, NB, HSF and cool the interior (which would drop the gpu temps down a bit by lower interior case temp).

4. If i am missing anything or additional suggestions or tips would be welcome. I plan on doing it this weekend. I'll hope to have pictures of the final product however the only cameras i have are my webcam and cellphone, both are 1.3 MegaPixels with no zoom.

Last edited by Arinoth; December 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old December 2, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would think running the hot air outside would be the ticket instead. I would also have the ducting go down from the PC then up to the window to ensure any moisture stays in the ducting and doesn't run into the PC.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:03 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If it gets really cold outside, and there is a big temp difference inside your case, I would worry about condensation.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 2, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
If it gets really cold outside, and there is a big temp difference inside your case, I would worry about condensation.
bingo
Old December 2, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
The solution to Arinoths problem is the same solution as Chriskwarrens problem: WATERCOOLING!

Jump the Shark Arinoth! JUMP!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 2, 2009, 08:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
The solution to Arinoths problem is the same solution as Chriskwarrens problem: WATERCOOLING!

Jump the Shark Arinoth! JUMP!
Can't afford it, i'm a student and most my money goes to school related thing such as books, food, tuition, rent, beer.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Can't afford it, i'm a student and most my money goes to school related thing such as books, food, tuition, rent, beer.
Bah, another $200 on credit wont hurt.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 2, 2009, 08:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Bah, another $200 on credit wont hurt.
To me it would as its an unnecessary expense right now as if i WC'ed the cpu why wouldnt i WC the GPUs. Who would help me set it up here in NB, you gonna fly out and help me? Also i dont know how much of a pain WC is when you transport it (in a car for say 20+ hours) or store it for 4 months with no use.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Correct me if I am wrong, but the issue here is that your PC heats up your room to much, correct? Therefore watercooling would not solve that problem.

Last edited by stoanee; December 2, 2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: punctuation!
Old December 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

WC would and it wouldn't. The heat that it creates and pushes into the air would be a lot less and become less of a factor of causing my room temperature going up as i have noticed that folding on air does on average increase the room temp by about 5C if not higher if window is closed.