Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think your better off blowing the heat out your window. jmo
Old December 2, 2009, 08:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It looks like it would be much more proficient to exhaust your hot air out your window.

1 no worries about ambient condensation.
2-no major worries about external condensation getting into the system.
3- you shouldn't have to worry about a filter too much, well, nothing heavy duty anyways. some pantyhose should do ;)

what i'm wondering about, how you going to mount it? cardboard,duct tape and a exhaust hose for a dryer?

Just my opinions. I could be wrong.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Mount it on the fan location? That i figuring just putting one of the ends and attach it with duct tape and the other end will be held into the window by the sliding apart of the window closing on it (windows opens from right to left not down to up)
Old December 2, 2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
The heat that it creates and pushes into the air would be a lot less and become less of a factor of causing my room temperature going up...
Time to hit the books, Mr. College Student ;)

jk

But seriously, the temperature of your computer components has nothing to do with how much heat energy they produce and give off into your room. Think of it this way: What gives off more heat as it cools to room temperature, a 50C mug of coffee or a 40C bathtub?

The air heatsink is "hotter", but that doesn't mean it actually dumps more heat into the room than the "cooler" radiator.

Water cooling will not affect the temperature of your room AT ALL.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 2, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

on the note of water cooling being too expensive, Christmas is coming up hint hint. this is just if cost is the only thing that is preventing you from using it.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Time to hit the books, Mr. College Student ;)

jk

But seriously, the temperature of your computer components has nothing to do with how much heat energy they produce and give off into your room. Think of it this way: What gives off more heat as it cools to room temperature, a 50C mug of coffee or a 40C bathtub?

The air heatsink is "hotter", but that doesn't mean it actually dumps more heat into the room than the "cooler" radiator.

Water cooling will not affect the temperature of your room AT ALL.
Yeah that's why i said that WC would and wouldn't work because i'm still stuck with the heat dump into my room. I either need to dump that heat or bring in cooler air to mix and cause there to not be as much heat. Which is what this work log is about, either hooking up ducting to my exhausts on the back and attempting to dump it outside (dunno how well that'll work when cool air is blown into the window sometimes) or pull in cool air and dump it into my computer without condensation (when it gets much colder out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
on the note of water cooling being too expensive, Christmas is coming up hint hint. this is just if cost is the only thing that is preventing you from using it.
Wouldn't ask my parents for things like that as its not something i deem necessary and its not something they would spend money on anyways.
Old December 2, 2009, 11:16 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If you have sufficient intake then exhausting out the window might work. In my HAF for example, I could run an exhaust vent out the top (as the top fan in the HAF exhausts), or reverse the airflow on the side panel intake fan.

I would think that a setup similar to those portable AC systems would work, similar to this concept:

You would go exhaust instead of intake obviously, and you would want to ensure that water/snow won't blow into the tube. Maybe you could have the computer parallel to the window, or slightly above, so that any moisture that gets in would be 'trapped' before getting to the computer. You could also put a couple of small holes in the 'trap', so that any snow or moisture would melt and leak out.

A small door that only opens outwards the end of the tube in the window might also limit the snow that blows in too.

I'll draw a quick mock up for folks to look at, so that the design could be improved/or totally ignored if its a bad idea.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 2, 2009, 11:28 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Maybe this could be the start of something that will work:

Fold for team #54196
Old December 2, 2009, 11:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Chris, here is what my desk set up looks like if you forgot: Post Your Desk

Last edited by Arinoth; December 2, 2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Would something like this fit the bill since thats why is used for dryers and it should technically keep the water/moisture out by design as well
ProVent Dryer Vent Kit, 4-inch x 8-ft. | Canadian Tire