Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice rig Headshot, congratz! How's that HX520 holding up with your 2 GPUs? I am thinking I might keep my 8800GT and use it as a PhysX card on my upcoming i5 build with my GTX 275. But I am concerned a little bit about power?

As a completely off topic sidenote... I tried running my 8800GT last night on a Sparkle 400W PSU in a basic AM2 rig... lol ya it's a no go.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 27, 2009, 10:56 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fiendo View Post
Wait you said you have the 8 pin CPU plugged into the second video card? The capacitor might be a normal thing as many people get it when folding.

However, look here. That may not be the most safe method of powering that bottom card. Mod it and it should be fine though. The capacitor whine could be the voltage that's getting pushed through the wrong way, lol.
His motherboard has two sockets for 8-pin CPU power connectors. He has it plugged into the secondary socket and not the primary one. It is not plugged into a video card.

Also, it's coil whine, not capacitor whine. Capacitors don't make noise unless they're failing.
Old November 27, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Nice rig Headshot, congratz! How's that HX520 holding up with your 2 GPUs? I am thinking I might keep my 8800GT and use it as a PhysX card on my upcoming i5 build with my GTX 275. But I am concerned a little bit about power?

As a completely off topic sidenote... I tried running my 8800GT last night on a Sparkle 400W PSU in a basic AM2 rig... lol ya it's a no go.
The hx520 is holding up just fine even with OC on gpu and mild oc on CPU. Yes the coil whine is coming from the GPU. If I under/overclock the core clock I get different tones. I could make a song lol. Only when it's under load though. And ya I was talking about the 2 8pin connectors for the cpu, and I've got only 1 in the secondary input, not the primary which is recommended. I'm gonna need another 8pin connector. I'm using a Molex adapter for the 2nd GPU (8800gt). H50 and new psu are almost here! They were supposed to be delivered today but of course it wasnt cause it's UPS. I'm trying to get both GPU's folding but I'm having some troubles. I haven't reawlly tried to hard though. If I wasn't going to be folding with the 8800 I probably would have just sold it instead of just using it for Physx.

edit- ok UPS did try delivering but obviously not until after 3pm, when I left and now I'm at work all night and will have to wait til monday to pick it up! ARGH

Last edited by headsh0t; November 27, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old November 27, 2009, 05:00 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
His motherboard has two sockets for 8-pin CPU power connectors. He has it plugged into the secondary socket and not the primary one. It is not plugged into a video card.

Also, it's coil whine, not capacitor whine. Capacitors don't make noise unless they're failing.
Ok, otherwise I'd be very surprise he didn't melt the face off his second graphics card by now.

Also, every place I've seen on the net either uses capacitor whine or the two interchangably. *shrug*
Old November 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya Im not that dumb
Old November 27, 2009, 05:12 PM
Allstar

Eh, its not necessarily a case of 'dumb'. People see a similar connector and plug away.

I've seen a USB plug on an SPDIF header, and it had cooked the wire insulation before the person shut it down. Guy wasn't a post, he just plugged the wrong plug.
Old November 27, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol ouch thats not good. Doesnt SPDIF have 2 connectors block off compared to the 1 on USB. Are you sure "this guy" isn't you
Old November 27, 2009, 06:01 PM
Allstar

If it were me, I wouldn't have even posted it up.

It was one like this:

Though I have a question, this board has *2* 8 pin CPU plugs AND a 4 pin molex plug above the PCI area? What on this board draws that kind of power? Most boards I've seen are happy with just 1 8 pin CPU plug if not a simple 4 pin.
Old November 27, 2009, 06:16 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Also, every place I've seen on the net either uses capacitor whine or the two interchangably. *shrug*
Just because they say it doesn't make it right ;). A lot of people talk about "solid-state" capacitors as well, although there is really no such thing and the correct term is polymer capacitor.
Quote:
Though I have a question, this board has *2* 8 pin CPU plugs AND a 4 pin molex plug above the PCI area? What on this board draws that kind of power? Most boards I've seen are happy with just 1 8 pin CPU plug if not a simple 4 pin.
It's an advertising thing. The motherboard doesn't actually require remotely near the full amount of power that all those connectors are capable of providing.
Old November 27, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're right I forgot to even connect that 4pin molex above the PCI-e lol. But I dunno everything is working fine with just a single 8pin connection. What's the 4pin molex connection for again anyways? Is it more CPU power, or for chipset, or for PCI or something?