Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2009, 09:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Oh, so that was you? What was with all the bags of icing sugar you were selling beside the speakers?
Old November 5, 2009, 12:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So now that you've had a couple weeks with them... what do you think?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 5, 2009, 06:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
Oh, so that was you? What was with all the bags of icing sugar you were selling beside the speakers?
Fairy dust ... makes the speakers look and sound better than they actually do.

I would also like to know your thoughts on them after a couple of weeks.
Old November 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

OK. Hmmm...Have to collect my thoughts, I guess.

Well, one of the things I didn't realize when I put these together is how much of the typical sound would be handled by the tweeter. Now, that's not a complaint in any way--the tweeter is a thing of beauty, with nice, clear tones and a lack of what I would consider harshness. However, it's almost too bad that the mids aren't getting more usage, as their bass is deep, solid, and clean with nothing resembling enclosure vibration.

Another thing I hadn't really thought much about was just how much dialogue (T.V. & movies both) is typically pumped through the center channel, rather than the left and right...which means that I now really want to do a center speaker in addition to a pair of surrounds, and I kinda wish I had done so right off the bat...but that would have cost more.

Now, more directly to the point of performance, I find that these really begin to shine when you have a particularly musical movie. For example, watching Phantom of the Opera is nothing short of ridiculously impressive! 300 (as I noted earlier) is great as well; the speakers handle the mids and highs in a way my old set never could have approached. Additionally, the sound effects are much crisper and easier to pick up; I find myself hearing things happening in movies that I never caught before (rain is awesome, as are arrows and fire in particular). I think the credit for that is due directly to the tweeters, as previously noted.

In regard to bass, I think I may have been disappointed if I didn't already have a sub in my HT setup. A LOT of the bass still comes from the sub, with the mids adding extra layers to the sound. Again, that's not really a criticism of the build, as I CHOSE not to go for the larger, bassier enclosure, and I didn't modify the design to add in an 8" woofer, which really would have allowed for those deeper lows. Given the direction I went, however, the speakers do EXACTLY what I wanted them to--they fill in the sound spectrum between what my old speakers (little wee 2 1/4" Sony HTIB putzers--though good for what they are) could produce and what my Sub produces, and the give a world of richness to both the upper and lower ranges.

As for the enclosures, I have no complaints at all, except for one small nick in the vinyl on a back corner--but that's pretty small potatoes, and entirely user error. They look classy, function well, and produce great sound for their size.

The major problem? I now REALLY want to do those surrounds and the center speaker. If the prospective job I'm crossing my fingers for works out (with a significant pay increase from what I'm doing now) then I think they'll be my first major present to me....

On a sidenote, I also can't help but wonder what these would sound like if I had better quality components to pair them with. I'm still using the receiver that came with my HTIB, which I've been reasonably happy with, but I can't help but be curious about how a Denon AVR-790/1610 would work out, or an Onkyo SR-607...But that's a fair cry in the future, I think; my wife would murder me in my sleep if I bought either of those while we're still in our little rental house. Priorities, priorities... Oh, and I'd also like to throw a DIY sub somewhere in the mix too. I like my sub just fine, but maybe just a LITTLE bigger :)
Old November 5, 2009, 12:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 500W 12" down firing sub in my basement that's not being used that I could sell you.

I'm glad that the speakers are living up to your expectations, but DIY is a disease ..... just look at computers, lol.

-Steve
Old November 5, 2009, 06:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Where would the fun be in BUYING a subwoofer??? <laugh> Damn it. I think I may be hooked. And you're right--it's just like computers. <sigh> Another black hole for my money...
Old November 5, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
Where would the fun be in BUYING a subwoofer??? <laugh> Damn it. I think I may be hooked. And you're right--it's just like computers. <sigh> Another black hole for my money...
Go big on the sub, I have a 12" that I bottom out from time to time when cranking the tunes. BTW You shouldn't be getting any base from those speakers they should be crossed at ~100Hz by the AVR receiver so that the sub can handle the base.

Glad to hear they're working out nicely and yeah it can become a money pit. Don't forget that's a super budget build, just think what you'll hear when you go up the scale - think Curt's Statements. But at least they don't go obsolete like computers do.

If you don't need to get sound to the receiver with HDMI and can use optical or coax then there's a lot of deals to be had with used receivers. People are upgrading to HDMI capable units so they're dumping their existing receivers.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 6, 2009, 06:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
But at least they don't go obsolete like computers do.
So true, usually a DIY set, no matter how much or little you put into it, will last you for life .... or until you decide to build another set.

My dad has a set of towers that he built ~40 years ago, they still sound great. The only thing he's done to them is replace the crossover he built (wound the inductors and everything) with a pre-built one cause they started to fail.
Old November 6, 2009, 04:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Go big on the sub, I have a 12" that I bottom out from time to time when cranking the tunes. BTW You shouldn't be getting any base from those speakers they should be crossed at ~100Hz by the AVR receiver so that the sub can handle the base.

Glad to hear they're working out nicely and yeah it can become a money pit. Don't forget that's a super budget build, just think what you'll hear when you go up the scale - think Curt's Statements. But at least they don't go obsolete like computers do.

If you don't need to get sound to the receiver with HDMI and can use optical or coax then there's a lot of deals to be had with used receivers. People are upgrading to HDMI capable units so they're dumping their existing receivers.
I was thinking bass more as a "not treble" than floorshaking; the receiver is definitely working to separate the signals.

I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for used receivers, but I'm not in too big a hurry there. This one is adequate; I'm just curious at this point.