Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2009, 10:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I credit good planning and forethought for the baffles, but the XO was thanks to a combination of the diagram in the write-up, and a handy youtube video that PartsExpress made specifically for the RD XO kit; I never would have thought to put one coil standing and one laying down so that they don't "talk to each other."

I did a lot of sanding today and found the only problem with my circle jig. Some of the holes for mounting it to the router were a touch imprecise, particularly the mounting holes I used for the tweeter. While I still managed to fanangle them in, they stuck out just a touch, and left scratches around the tweeter holes. I managed to get them out though, and I can start painting once I get them sanded down with some finer sandpaper; I only went to 120 grit on the boxes and baffles so far, but I want a REALLY glossy finish (or as close as possible) on the baffles, so I'll probably take them to 2000 grit before priming, and up to 4000 between prime and paint. That has always given me really nice results on metal, so I thought I'd give it a try, anyway.

Meanwhile, I'll rig up a couple of braces as you've suggested; after all, they really are cheap to make out of the scrap I have lying around anyway, and if they can actually help, all the better!

I'll throw some more pics up once I get some painting done on the baffles, and the vinyl on the boxes; pictures of the sanded baffles would be a little unexciting.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Updated
Old October 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
HaDeS

hope your wearing a dust mask when you sand that MDF. Once the dust gets in your lungs it doesn't come out ;-)
Old October 13, 2009, 01:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

<laugh> Absolutely! I don't even want to think about all the interesting stuff floating around in those particles...
Old October 18, 2009, 07:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Project completed, and worklog update finalized! Comments and questions very welcome!
Old October 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wow looks fantastic.. Great work..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 18, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wow those went together pretty fast! They certainly look like they fit right in with your HT gear. Good job!

So were they the upgrade you were looking for?

BTW let me know if you notice the sound smooth out a bit over the next couple weeks. I've read about people saying speakers need break-in and I experienced it myself but it never hurts to get another opinion that I'm not crazy.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old October 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great work! This is the first speaker build I have seen since I've been here. That is a real purrrty finish you wound up with. I hope this encourages more people to do speaker builds in the future.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old October 18, 2009, 10:45 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
Project completed, and worklog update finalized! Comments and questions very welcome!
I have a comment.

Friggin Awesome!

I have a question too.

How much money do you have into that pair?
Old October 19, 2009, 07:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I'm awfully proud of them!

Biff: They are DEFINITELY an upgrade--though moreso when we listen to music than when we watch T.V. We did, however, watch Drag Me to Hell last night, and it was creepily awesome with new speakers. As for harshness, there's was a definite improvement from the 1-2 hours I put each batch of speakers through when I first got them. I soon realized that because I was a little antzy about leaving my (exceptionally old) mixer board plugged in when I wasn't home, and the sound was fairly distracting whenI was home, I wasn't going to get the full break-in time done before I put the speakers together; I'll let you know if the first few weeks make much difference, but I don't have many compaints NOW, so I'm not sure if I'll necessarily notice if things get a bit better.

Squeetard: I guess I didn't give a tally, did I? Here goes (though some will be approximate):

-Speaker kit (speakers, fill, XO stuff, binding posts)
-vinyl
-grill installation kits (though ridiculously, grills weren't sent due to my order coming in during the 15 seconds when they were out of stock)

-------$212 (including exchange rate, tax, and duty)

MDF: ~30 (iirc)
Misc hardware: ~$50 (bolts, nuts, glue, sandpaper, wire, paint supplies)

Total: ~$300

Now, this is a little tricky, as there's a bunch of stuff left over. I used less than half of a 4x8 sheet of MDF; in fact, I almost have room for a set of surround MTs in what's left of the first side, let alone what I could get out of the second. I also have more than enough vinyl to do a center and surrounds if I get around to it, extra stove bolts, an almost full can of Stain-X primer, etc. If I actually had to pin how much the speakers themselves cost, I'd probably set it between $225 and $250.

Now what I can't do, primarily because I'm not really an audiophile, is tell you precisely how these compare to a $250 pair of storebought speakers. All I can say is that I enjoyed building them, and my wife, who has her first degree in music, and her second in education with a focus on music ed, just looked at them in awe when I first put some music through them. They blow my HTIB speakers out of the water--but they bloody well should, as my HTIB was only about $350 all told. I guess it's the old saying: YMMV.

I will say that I'm damn happy with them, though, and really glad I took on this project; it was a lot of fun for me. I learned something new, I love creating things, and they turned out (IMO) BEAUTIFULLY; they fit right into my HT setup like they always belonged there.