Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default i7 860 build, testing, overclocking

Nothing fancy like is usually in here but I just put together an i7 860 setup and thought I would share a few pics of the setup and progress. This is simply my test bench, and I finally upgraded from a motherboard box to a tech station, only took 5 years haha. It is not designed to look cool, it is made to be easy to work with. Parts will be swaped in and out constantly for reviews and such.

First off the new parts. Im using mainly stuff I already have but I needed a CPU, board, and RAM.

Intel i7 860
Gigabyte P55-UD4P
G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH Ripjaws
Plus a tech station and some new tubing

Tech station assembled:

CPU installed

Apogee fits no problem

First white tubing I've used. Looks pretty cool I guess, matches the board.

I usually like to go pump-rad-res-block but with only a CPU in the loop and such a powerful pump it goes so fast it makes no difference so I went pump-block-rad-res. Saves some tubing and allows for a cleaner setup that way.

That's all I got done on day 1, will fill it and fire it up tonight.

Last edited by Eldonko; October 9, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:44 AM

Everything installed and Windows 7 up and running. No leaks at all, temps look good at about 28C.

Getting the board to POST was a challenge. All I would get was continuous short beeps which according to the manual means power issues. So of course I clear cmos, battery and all that, cycle the PSU. Nothing. I reseat everything and nothing. Next I swap out the PSU for another, same issue short beeps. Then I swap out the GPU, same thing. Next I try 1 mem stick, and they 1 stick in a different slot and I got the same beeps but they took longer lol so I figured it was mem related. I swaped in a different stick and boom, POST. That allowed me to go into the BIOS and increase vdimm to 1.65v (default is 1.5v) which allowed my Ripjaw to work.

After an hour or 2 of troubleshooting I was able to install Windows 7 and my board and GPU drivers. Problem is now, every few minutes I get screen corruption as if my GPU is fried. The card is a 9800GTX which I just got back from MSI RMA. It looks pretty beat up so they probably sent me back a bum card. However after uninstalling the nvidia drivers I threw in an ATI card. But when I rebooted it keeps freezing on Windows load screen. I boot to safe mode to install the ATI drivers and I get all these errors halfway through the install and cant install them. So now I dont know if it is GPU related or maybe I am getting mem errors or something. Have to run some tests tonight to confirm the issue.

_________

Firured it out, it was my W7 disk not working right. I installed Vista and got my GPUs working in CrossFire no probem. Fired up 8 core folding with VMWare and temps are at about 36C at full load, pretty good so far.

Next up overclocking

Last edited by Eldonko; October 10, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wow Zac.. a lot neat and cool looking, white tubing is looking very nice..

You using d-tek mounting hardware on Apogee GT, wow.. I know you like your apogee, but with an i7.. time to maybe get something better, Fuzion v2/apogee GTX ..

Anyhow, sub'ed on this , nice to see you pull the plunge too
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 8, 2009, 10:57 AM

Gasp! Don't dis the apogee hehe, my apogee gt has served me well over the years. We will see how the temps are.. No D Tek hardware there, that is plain ol bolts from a hardware store :D I was surprised the apogee fit TBH.
Old October 8, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

I see.. actually not the D-tek, but the Danger Den TDX mounting looks very similar what you use, I got my fuzion v1 with the TDX mounting..

Well.. I noticed most mounting hardware out there (without back plate, some with back plate too) use 6-32 thread screws and nuts, I got myself some 2" long 6-32 screws to replace what I originally had, and it works well..

But yeah, can't go wrong with a bowed Apogee GT, I had mine for over 2 years, just made the switch, I screwed up the threads to open the block apart for cleaning, so I can't open it at all..
Old October 8, 2009, 01:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you Using Copper Heater Cores for the Rads?

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 8, 2009, 01:44 PM

Yeah. I got one from dangerden and the second I tore out of an old van. Tubes have to stretch a bit but still fit no problem.
Old October 9, 2009, 09:41 AM

Updates! Kind of a frustruating night last night but I did make some progress. See post 2 for details.
Old October 9, 2009, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

the white tubing are so pretty, i want!
Old October 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

28C.. wow pretty good temps there.. Zac.. cable management :p.. (wow. first apogee gt, now the cable management.. hoping a smack in the face isn't coming :P)..

Great simple loop I got to say..