Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2009, 08:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Project: Ultimate Behemoth

First off im not trying to compare my build with CMetaphor's rig, "Behemoth" and hats off to him as that thing rocks!!.... The new case for my Folding rig has just been ordered a Lian-li PC-V2110 and the only thing I could think of was that old Simpsons episode when Homer goes to buy a RV and is shown that two-story monster named, "Ultimate Behemoth" and bart asks, "Does it have its own satellite dish, sir?" and the salesman replys, "You can tell your son it has its own satellite... the VanStar 1launched last Feburary." loved that.. anyways this case reminds me of that RV

LIAN-LI PC-V2110 Silver Aluminum ATX Super Full Tower Case 7X5.25 8X3.5IN No PS USB 1394 eSATA Audio - DirectCanada

The case is a tad large, almost as big as the UPS im using to run all the folding gear so it should be a good match it measures 210 x 620 x 620 ( W, H, D) not sure if that's with or without the wheels on...

so the plan is:

4 x GTX295's, 4GB RAM, AMD 940 BE, Corsair 1000HX, Thermaltake 650, various drives and the MSI K9A2 Platinum... and then maybe some water cooling.

pics to come once the case arrives.
Old September 24, 2009, 08:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Ok got some pics today of the new case..

Have the system working in it now, will take a few more pics of that in the morning.

still a bit of a mess, but just wanted it back up and FOLDING again

even tho the case is massive it really isn't as roomy as I thought it would be

Last edited by fefox; October 10, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Pardon my noobish comment. But aren't lan li cases a bit overpriced? I look at them and they look really bare and bland. tottaly not worth the money for them. you going to be modding this one? kinda like prometheus? Sorry if im thread jacking.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They are stylish and made of quality:) it's really rare to have a bad rivet or something like that on that kind of case so the price is high, but founded.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 24, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can't wait to see this rig. Must be good to be named Ultimate Behemoth!

Umm, why didn't you go Core i7? 4X GTX295....You need a good CPU to keep up with that! xD
Old September 25, 2009, 12:06 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Overpriced? hmmm, I guess its how you look at it. in my eyes those cases are pretty much built to perfection.. also they are all aluminum.... ive had my 2 lian-li cases for almost a decade so seems like a deal to me.
as for the I7, ive also had AMD cpu's for what seems like forever, think the last Intel CPU I had was a 266Mhz Pentium, and now I find myself not really that concerned about CPU's more GPU's and how many of those I can cram into a machine.

I was playing around with numbers the other day and did a cost comparison of computing power of the past and came up with this..

I first owned a computer in the very early 80's and paid crazy $$$.. items like a 3" floppy drive... that would have still cost more than say today's high end SSD's.. The drive below held two disks of 156k each! and cost about $800 (so that's like $1600-1700 of today's $$$) also look carefully these are 3" disks not 3.5" you have to be old to have used one of these but seriously at the time, this would be like getting your hands on some new tech like a 1TB SSD

so I figured out the FLOPS of the 4 GTX-295's and converted that to the fastest hardware of different points in time, so the computational power of my current system would have cost $107,308,800,000 in 1984 using Cray's X-MP systems (if they could have made that many).. in 1997 using Pentium Pro's $214,617,000 in 2000 $7,152,920 and then today, well just under $3000.00

anyways whatever I pay for a computer now seems like a bargain! and $400 for a case. its well crafted, made of aluminum, MASSIVE hehehe, when I think back on how much I spent on computers in the past that had cheap polypropylene or ABS plastic shells that turned a gross yellow after a few years I go for the one that's gonna last and looks great.

so again its all how you look at it

Old September 25, 2009, 05:14 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
Pardon my noobish comment. But aren't lan li cases a bit overpriced? I look at them and they look really bare and bland. tottaly not worth the money for them. you going to be modding this one? kinda like prometheus? Sorry if im thread jacking.
I had a similar comment too a few years back before owning my first Lili. Simply put, they are the best available case manufacturer out there. I say available since I'd jump on a Soldam Windy anytime - if I can find one...
Old September 25, 2009, 06:22 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hmmm Ultimate Behemoth you say? Cool... cool... IM GOING TO KILL YOU!

/joke

I do so love Lian-Li cases too, just never quite "bit the bullet" to buy one, and as such, I've normally stuck with Silverstone/Coolermaster cases. Looks like it should be one heck of a build, I'm assuming a monster of a fold-er? We wants more pictures! Especially of the 4x GTX295s, otherwise we won't believe you're gettin em. hehe.

PS:
Check out my new Build Log: Project: Superior Infinity+1 Behemoth. Laff, hehe. Seriously though, your naming confuses me....
Old September 25, 2009, 07:25 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
The problem with this is that you've never used a Lian Li case. While the outside of them is simplistic (something I love), the inside is anything but. They are, without a doubt, the best made cases I've ever worked with.

Everything installs perfectly, amble room to hide cables and every addition you could ask for is included. Its like comparing a high-end car to the clunker you had in university :P

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30
Old September 25, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Can't wait to see this rig. Must be good to be named Ultimate Behemoth!

Umm, why didn't you go Core i7? 4X GTX295....You need a good CPU to keep up with that! xD

For gaming, yeah, for folding, nah....