Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2009, 08:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am officially impressed by NCIX. I placed my order with them last night at around 10:00pm, hoping that they would at least approve my pricematch requests by Monday so that there would be a chance of me getting my stuff by next weekend. To my ecstatic surprise, I find that my PMs were approved at around 7am this morning, with more and more of my order being processed and verified throughout the day until I finally get the shipping notification not 10 minutes ago!

It seems that they've shipped out everything but the sound card (which is on back order, I guess). Of all the parts that could have been on back order, I guess I'm glad it was that one. I'm shipping it all via UPS Air, so there's even the remote possibility that it'll arrive tomorrow! Godspeed You! Brown Airplane

NCIX has definitely become my e-tailer of choice for sure... Not that it wasn't before, but I guess they've just cemented their place at the #1 spot

EDIT: Well so much for that pipe dream, haha. Parts shipped out today, and are due to arrive on Monday. Almost as good I suppose

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06

Last edited by steers; September 25, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old September 24, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ha-ha. You're my type of the man! Who does modding without a beer? Double
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old September 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do can't drink ha ha great looking build so far
Old September 28, 2009, 04:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Alright bros, the wait is almost over. The shipment was delivered back home in Fonthill today (a security thing, my mom is home most of the day, etc.), and my parents have agreed to drop them off here in Waterloo tomorrow (gotta love 'em). Since I still haven't bought the pump or the waterblocks for my GTX 275 or chipset, I've decided to just run the machine on air for a while, which will give me some time to make sure everything works and get it all configured before I take her underwater and start overclocking.

Stay tuned for lots of build pics tomorrow night. It's hard for me to believe this is actually happening

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old September 28, 2009, 04:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I now currently look like your avatar.

Keep it up .
Old September 29, 2009, 05:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

We're gettin' down to business now, folks. Don't change that channel

---
Old September 29, 2009, 10:29 PM
Rookie

Pretty much the same hardware I am planning to run in my 800d, just got the case today and there is a few things wrong with it. Don't know what I am going to do yet either send it back or live with the defects until they can send out replacement parts.

The door on the hot-swap bays has a huge scratch in it, and the side window has what looks to be a burn mark from a hot spark landing on the window. A bit of paint is chipped off the top where the side panel rubs against it aswell, but this doesn't bother me much and I will fix it if I have to.

build log of my own is soon to come, once I get the rest of my watercooling parts ordered in.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

NIIICEEE@!Good stuff steers!
Old September 30, 2009, 10:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Got so into building and configuring last night that I passed out forgetting to upload the build pics

I'll be sure to post pics of the "finished" product once I get home from work today. Since I still don't have all my watercooling gear, this will be a good chance for you guys see what a stock air-cooled setup looks like in the Obsidian. I must say, it really was a blast working with this case. As with any first-generation product though, it's not without its flaws. There were a few things that irked me about the case I got, most of which have already been expressed by enaberif in his post on the Owner's Group thread.
  • Securing the video card was quite a pain in the ass, and required an uncomfortable amount of force to get it screwed down. This might be what people are referring to as the "alignment issue." Relatively minor, but irksome nonetheless. This is the biggest gripe I have with the case, and I think that says a lot.
  • Reaching the 8-pin ATX power cable from the PSU to the top of the board will be difficult to impossible for most power supplies without the use of an extension cable. I had forgotten that the 800D came with one, but somehow I managed to stretch the cable on my HX850 'round back to the top of my classified, but it is not in any way pretty. Since they provide a (pretty bulky) cable, this is a non-issue though.
  • The cables connected to the SATA backplane get pretty tight, but with a little bit of creativity you can reduce the stress on the connectors (the bottom one has it the worst).
  • My case from NCIX appears to have been one of the better ones in this regard, but apparently people have been having issues with paint flaking easily off the chassis. Quite the opposite, I've had more issues with the powder coat being too thick in areas (the window side panel, particularly), which causes the side panel to "stick" a bit when taking it off. This should resolve naturally with wear though (or alternatively, accelerated with the use of sandpaper).
But besides those relatively minor points, this case was an absolute dream to work with. As you can probably imagine, you can fit an absolutely obtuse amount of stuff into this case (front and back; the amount of cables I have running behind the tray is nauseating). The case feels practically empty with just the stock air cooling on the classified right now, and even with watercooling it looks like I won't have any problem cramming all my stuff in there. The early adopters are being very vocal about their issues, and the Corsair team is out in full force answering every plea. I expect that all the problems people have had (everything from the catastrophic Amazon defects to the minor NCIX defects) will be resolved down the line. I'd suggest to anyone wanting to get this case: wait a bit, first. This is probably already redundant though, as Corsair seems to be selling them faster than they can make them

---
Old September 30, 2009, 07:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, the machine's up and running beautifully, although it's a tad loud. I'm looking forward to axing a few of the fans in this box once I make the move to water in a week or two.

But enough talk, it's time for an image dump!

Here't the 800D, all stripped down. It's buildin' time!

Hi-POT OK indeed, Corsair.

I decided to tuck my SSD (boot drive) away in the bottom set of 3.5" bays so it doesn't get hot-swapped by accident or anything. Picked myself up a drive adapter and slid 'er in there. Corsair gives you a set of rails that you plug in the side of the drive, which click into place. Completely tool-less. I thought it was a nice touch.

The Classified, getting prepped.

Closeup shot, installed.

A side-profile with (almost) everything plugged in.

Sexy angle shot with the side panel off, all ready to go.

For illustrative purposes, here's what the backside looked like. Note the lack of 8-pin ATX power extension. I really wish I would have noticed I had one, it was a PITA to get that connected without it

Power ON! Time to configure!

Thanks for watching guys, I'll post to the log again once I get all my water cooling parts together. In the mean time, I should get back to installing my Steam games

---